PDA

View Full Version : vBulletin 4 Transition

Voodoo
10-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Hey guys,

As with any software installation, there's a good chance for issues along the way. If you are having any problems with the site, please post them in this thread. The faster we're made aware of issues, the faster they'll get fixed.

Also, if you have any suggestions for features you'd like the site to have, feel free to post those as well, and we'll do our best to make them a reality!

Thanks!

mrg7243
10-19-2012, 04:17 PM
When I click directly on Forum up top that still doesnt work send me to the zone edit thing

Voodoo
10-19-2012, 04:35 PM
When I click directly on Forum up top that still doesnt work send me to the zone edit thing

You trollin? o_O

If the link to the forum isn't working, then how were you able to post this message? :orangelaugh:

But yeah, if you're seeing any ZoneEdit messages still, there's nothing we can really do. It just takes time for all the DNS servers to update and for local DNS caches to flush. If you're running Windows though, you can try running "ipconfig /flushdns" from the command prompt. Plus a system restart never hurts.

RIgalant
10-19-2012, 04:43 PM
im liking the changes. its easier to navigate!

mrg7243
10-19-2012, 05:16 PM
You trollin? o_O

If the link to the forum isn't working, then how were you able to post this message? :orangelaugh:

But yeah, if you're seeing any ZoneEdit messages still, there's nothing we can really do. It just takes time for all the DNS servers to update and for local DNS caches to flush. If you're running Windows though, you can try running "ipconfig /flushdns" from the command prompt. Plus a system restart never hurts.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/forum.php

That, the forum link next to the whats new.

Voodoo
10-19-2012, 05:51 PM
im liking the changes. its easier to navigate!

Glad to hear it!

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/forum.php

That, the forum link next to the whats new.

It's working for me; did you read my comments about DNS above?

Is anybody else having this particular issue?

wetamup2k3g
10-19-2012, 06:57 PM
It's working for me.

dknight3
10-19-2012, 07:06 PM
thank you for all your work. looks way better.

Voodoo
10-19-2012, 07:28 PM
thank you for all your work. looks way better.

Thanks! We loved our old theme, but there were too many security issues with vB3 and we were forced to upgrade. Galant306m has been working hard on ironing out all the kinks on the new theme and getting the site to look as pretty as possible for you guys!

M-Rod
10-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Great work guys! The new board looks nice.

Palmz
10-19-2012, 07:58 PM
i dont know why this is but if i go to thegalantcenter.org/forum.php i get zoneedit.
How ever if i just do thegalantcenter.org i can see the activity steam and click on " see more " on threads there and comment and everything like im doing now..
Maybe something doing with the dns server for Europe... no idea how dns servers work btw. I did do the ipconfig/flushdns= no difference

Voodoo
10-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Great work guys! The new board looks nice.

Thanks bud! :wub:

i dont know why this is but if i go to thegalantcenter.org/forum.php i get zoneedit.
How ever if i just do thegalantcenter.org i can see the activity steam and click on " see more " on threads there and comment and everything like im doing now..
Maybe something doing with the dns server for Europe... no idea how dns servers work btw. I did do the ipconfig/flushdns= no difference

Thank you for the info. It seems this is becoming a trend. However, I'm 99% sure this is DNS-related. Although the URL works for most, some sort of local caching is causing that URL to not point to the correct server for some users.

Think of DNS like an infection. Every domain name (google.com, thegalantcenter.org) has a "name server" associated with it. Whenever that domain name is typed into a web browser, two requests are made. First, the user's computer tries to resolve the IP address that corresponds to that domain name (imagine trying to contact someone you know by name but you don't have their phone number, so you have to look it up first); it does this by looking in a local cache or by asking a "name server" for the IP (usually provided by your ISP, think of this as "the operator"). Once the IP address has been resolved (once you know the phone number), the user's computer then makes another request directly to the website server to download the webpage (you call your friend).

Changes made to DNS information begin at the website. There are many DNS "name servers" in between your computer and the website that all store/cache information, and they must each update their own records. Imagine, your friend changes his phone number, but you have to wait for the next phone book to be published so you can look it up.

Typically, the further you are from a website, the longer it will take for you to see DNS changes take effect.

tamim13
10-19-2012, 10:56 PM
I really like the fact that all our settings got migrated to the new version. I really thought that we would lose our PMs and other personalization. Thanks guys for doing a great job!

mko
10-20-2012, 01:44 AM
The Portal and garage are missing.

Voodoo
10-20-2012, 03:31 AM
I really like the fact that all our settings got migrated to the new version. I really thought that we would lose our PMs and other personalization. Thanks guys for doing a great job!

Thanks!

The Portal and garage are missing.

The garage software is missing, but all of the pictures and data is still there. There is an equivalent for vB4, we just need to find a time to install it. The Portal has been replaced with vB4's built-in CMS, a.k.a. the "Articles" section. This is where COTM and other important announcements will be posted from now on.

[DC_eightG_00]
10-20-2012, 09:14 AM
i like it so far. Keep up the good work guys

NCamiolo
10-20-2012, 12:41 PM
My Tapatalk isn't working, says the forum is restricted. Are we not set up for it yet with the update?

mrg7243
10-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Thanks bud! :wub:

Thank you for the info. It seems this is becoming a trend. However, I'm 99% sure this is DNS-related. Although the URL works for most, some sort of local caching is causing that URL to not point to the correct server for some users.

Think of DNS like an infection. Every domain name (google.com, thegalantcenter.org) has a "name server" associated with it. Whenever that domain name is typed into a web browser, two requests are made. First, the user's computer tries to resolve the IP address that corresponds to that domain name (imagine trying to contact someone you know by name but you don't have their phone number, so you have to look it up first); it does this by looking in a local cache or by asking a "name server" for the IP (usually provided by your ISP, think of this as "the operator"). Once the IP address has been resolved (once you know the phone number), the user's computer then makes another request directly to the website server to download the webpage (you call your friend).

Changes made to DNS information begin at the website. There are many DNS "name servers" in between your computer and the website that all store/cache information, and they must each update their own records. Imagine, your friend changes his phone number, but you have to wait for the next phone book to be published so you can look it up.

Typically, the further you are from a website, the longer it will take for you to see DNS changes take effect.

It works now

Voodoo
10-21-2012, 12:50 AM
My Tapatalk isn't working, says the forum is restricted. Are we not set up for it yet with the update?

Thanks for the info. Tapatalk should be working now, give her another try

It works now

Glad to hear it! Thanks for keeping me updated!

wetamup2k3g
10-21-2012, 08:26 AM
I'm having a new issue. When I go to get on the site, I click on a bookmark I have set at the top of my browser window, it used to direct me to https://www.thegalantcenter.org/index.php. Now when I click that bookmark it redirects me to https://www.thegalantcenter.org/content.php which is some page I don't have permission to access. Even when I type in https://www.thegalantcenter.org/ by itself it redirects to https://www.thegalantcenter.org/content.php. It's not a big deal, I just click on Recent Posts and keep it moving, but I thought I'd let you guys know what's up.

Voodoo
10-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the info, I'll look into it right away! Content.php is the new portal system that shows COTM and other important announcements, so it's kinda important LOL

EDIT: Should be fixed now!

NCamiolo
10-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the info. Tapatalk should be working now, give her another try

Working fine, Thanks!

wetamup2k3g
10-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll look into it right away! Content.php is the new portal system that shows COTM and other important announcements, so it's kinda important LOL

EDIT: Should be fixed now!

And it is! Thanks, it looks great!

Galantman03
10-22-2012, 08:38 AM
Gotta question, why are photos in threads only 3/4 of their normal width?

eclipsh
10-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Will you be bringing the red theme back? I don't dig the white on black look :/

Galant306m
10-22-2012, 10:48 AM
We can't use a Vb3 theme with Vb4 otherwise we would have. I have been working on editing this one with different colors also but don't know when I will have it ready for the forum atm.

Voodoo
10-22-2012, 03:03 PM
Gotta question, why are photos in threads only 3/4 of their normal width?

I'm not quite sure I see what you're talking about. Can you provide an example?

Silvertune
10-22-2012, 04:07 PM
When my profile says I have notifications I open the tab but nothing shows up in the drop down box. Is that normal?

Galant306m
10-22-2012, 04:16 PM
yea i have been trying to find that font in the theme with no luck, its just because the font is black and just blends in with the drop down im going to search again tonight after i get home from work

Galantman03
10-22-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm not quite sure I see what you're talking about. Can you provide an example?

Sure, here ya go

Can't believe that trunk is still good haha

I've had 3 with my old g before I was unable to fix it again. I fixed it myself after each time.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z288/keith6110/galant%20smashed/galantindriveway6.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z288/keith6110/galant%20smashed/100_0043.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z288/keith6110/galant%20smashed/IMG_20110201_175305.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z288/keith6110/galant%20smashed/IMG_20110203_111440.jpg

Galantman03
10-22-2012, 04:47 PM
And now it works.... Idk lol

Kingjel12
10-22-2012, 07:14 PM
The site seems fine working fine to me..ofcourse still a noob here so i dnt have full access to exploit the site *wink*haha. Anyway, I personally think the theme looks great and thank you guys for keeping this baby alive!! I love my G so much and I'm so glad to find a place where ppl share the same sentiments.

One thing though, can't access my garage...or is it just because the site aint' done yet?

Voodoo
10-22-2012, 07:46 PM
One thing though, can't access my garage...or is it just because the site aint' done yet?

There is a new version of the garage for vB4 which has not been installed yet. But do not worry; none of the data has been lost. All of the pictures are still here!

Sarah
10-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks for everything!

keith6110
10-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Damn, I should have posted awhile ago... The zonedit thing does away if you clear your browsers cache/history. The browser itself just remembers the old page. In case this is still a problem with some one still.

Good work so far, not easy transferring things over from an older version to a new one.

Galantman03
10-23-2012, 05:36 PM
So i figured it what it is. On a phone, if you view the forum pics on portrait, it cuts off the pics, but if you view from land scape, the pics are good. Didn't used to do that before

M-Rod
10-23-2012, 07:16 PM
^Mine was doing that with my phone's browser as well. The other trick to making them full width is to zoom out a little bit and they will resize.

Voodoo
10-24-2012, 12:41 AM
^Mine was doing that with my phone's browser as well. The other trick to making them full width is to zoom out a little bit and they will resize.

Or just use Tapatalk ;) Well worth the $2 or whatever it is

Prophet
10-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Suggestion... can we change the colors of the icons that detonate unread messages and read messages... maybe brighter for unread threads and lighter color for read threads?

mko
10-29-2012, 08:58 AM
After I close a thread, it says : "The thread has been successfully $action" instead of ......closed.

Galantman03
11-20-2012, 06:47 PM
The time is off. About 4 mins off. It DRIVES ME CRAZY. ocd. Thanks

Voodoo
11-21-2012, 02:35 PM
The time is off. About 4 mins off. It DRIVES ME CRAZY. ocd. Thanks

Fixed just for you :)

Galantman03
11-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Thank you!

Galantman03
01-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Hey, was looking around today for the garage, and cannot find it. Has it not be uploaded yet?

tamim13
01-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Is it possible to leave feedback for sellers/buyers for sales done through TGC, with the new interface? I'm not able to find the link, can anyone guide me to it?