PDA

View Full Version : grille mesh question

BLsGalant97
04-24-2003, 01:01 PM
Ok I am helping my friend hook up his new '02 G. And he wants to add some grill mesh in the front bumper between the fogs...you know?? Where is the best place to buy the mesh and how is the easiest way to install it???? Thanks

Tiptronic
04-24-2003, 01:03 PM
i dont know how to install it, but a lot of ppl have said to go to home depot to buy it.

TITAN
04-24-2003, 01:31 PM
Its all about the paper clips and superglue!! Actually im working on that right now on my 2003. Really Im working on the upper grille, but I think I'll install the bottom mesh today and tell you how EASY it was.

BLsGalant97
04-24-2003, 01:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(knightriderXXX)</div><div class='quotemain'>Its all about the paper clips and superglue!! Actually im working on that right now on my 2003. Really Im working on the upper grille, but I think I'll install the bottom mesh today and tell you how EASY it was.</div>

How big should i buy the mesh????

TITAN
04-24-2003, 02:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BLsGalant97)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(knightriderXXX)</div><div class='quotemain'>Its all about the paper clips and superglue!! Actually im working on that right now on my 2003. Really Im working on the upper grille, but I think I'll install the bottom mesh today and tell you how EASY it was.</div>

How big should i buy the mesh????</div>

OH YA, well if you go to Home Depot in the Cement and Mortar Section, they sell it 3 ft X 7ft sheets. and they are about $3. Good Deal.

I see some of these assholes on ebay trying to sell the same shit for $10 bucks and then they charge for shipping too. F-in crazy man.

Good Luck!

pinoyesv6
04-24-2003, 05:05 PM
home depot sells a variety of mesh of all different sizes and material. pick the one u like. o yea make sure that it has a priotective finish to it so it doesn't rust on u. as for size, measure the opening. get some mesh thats bigger than the opening so u think of ways to attach it.

some people use zip ties, some epoxy it on, some use mechanical fasteners like screws bolts, rivets.

im working on my 4th and final home made grille for my car and yea, its being held in by some custom backets that i made.

BLsGalant97
04-24-2003, 08:14 PM
ok cool...he is coming over tommorrow...i'll take a look at the opening to see how i will install

Danger DANJ
04-25-2003, 09:36 AM
I'd say check out the rain gutter mesh at Home Depot. That's what I used and it looks great. Just make sure to spray it with clear coat first or else it will tarnish.

TITAN
04-25-2003, 12:47 PM
Ya, either a clear coat or a good coat of Rustoleum Paint. I had a hell of a time trying to paint the damn thing last night. I'm painting it black because my car is a dark color so I dont want the bright-ass Aluminum mesh to be the focus point of my car. So yesterday I only got to paint it, and today I will try to install it and tell you how it went.

Tiptronic
04-25-2003, 02:08 PM
someone post some pics of the kind i should be looking to buy, cause i just came back from home depot, and that grill mesh they have doesnt look right.

its square pattern, and looks flimsy

TITAN
04-25-2003, 02:35 PM
yeah thats definatly not the right shit. i think you went too far down the aisle and got to the fencing and chicken wire! I got some that basically was diamond shaped. You probably should have asked the Home Depot Man for some help. i will try to get pics, but by the time I do someone else will probably already have them up.

Note to self: <span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>Buy a damn digital camera</span>

Tiptronic
04-25-2003, 02:50 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(knightriderXXX)</div><div class='quotemain'>yeah thats definatly not the right shit. i think you went too far down the aisle and got to the fencing and chicken wire! I got some that basically was diamond shaped. You probably should have asked the Home Depot Man for some help. i will try to get pics, but by the time I do someone else will probably already have them up. Â*

Note to self: <span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>Buy a damn digital camera</span></div>

the guys told me that was the only style of mesh they had in the whole store :?

GaLanT
04-25-2003, 03:04 PM
ask him for rain gutter mesh

TITAN
04-25-2003, 03:30 PM
screw home depot then. i got some mesh you can bid on:

Grill mesh HOT!!

bid starts at $9.95 and bid in $1 increments or [i]<span style='color:red'>buy it now </span>.

buyer pays flat rate shipping of $15

insurance is extra :laughing:

:mg: mesh sellers

try [b]LOWES now.

BLsGalant97
04-25-2003, 03:32 PM
see...im not so worried about where to get the mesh from...i just want to know how to install it or see any pics of the actual install

TITAN
04-25-2003, 03:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BLsGalant97)</div><div class='quotemain'>see...im not so worried about where to get the mesh from...i just want to know how to install it or see any pics of the actual install</div>

Have you taken a good look at your friends car yet? Because if you do, I'd bet you would see what kind of work is needed to be done.

What type of car does your friend have? how about this...

Imagine if you were to have a piece of mesh you had to put over a big fish tank. Well, first you make sure the mesh is about 1-2 inches bigger than the fish tank, then you place the mesh over the fishtank, and then you center it and bend the mesh over the sides. And this is were you would superglue it or use epoxy or some sticky junk like that.

Thats the basic idea. of coarse it will be a little more time consuming than that because the area you are trying to get to is not so easily accesible. Does that help any? Hopefully.

I'll probably do it tonight and try to get you some pics ASAP.

BLsGalant97
04-25-2003, 03:59 PM
my friend has a 02 galant

TITAN
04-25-2003, 04:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BLsGalant97)</div><div class='quotemain'>my friend has a 02 galant</div>

OH YEAH :oops:

does that example help you out any?

BLsGalant97
04-25-2003, 04:49 PM
yeah a little....i just have to wait for him to get the mesh and then we can start fooling around with it i guess...thanks

TITAN
04-25-2003, 04:53 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BLsGalant97)</div><div class='quotemain'>yeah a little....i just have to wait for him to get the mesh and then we can start fooling around with it i guess...thanks</div>

ya bro, just tackle that shit. like I said before, they sell the sheets way bigger than you need for cheap as hell too. so if you fu(k up, you can use the left overs and just try again. its all about expirementation!! :thumbsup:

Tiptronic
04-25-2003, 08:02 PM
this is chicken wire from lowes. i'm sure the pieces will be larger
http://images.lowes.com/general/c/choosefence_7.jpg

this says chain link, but it looks way different than what they use for fences
http://images.lowes.com/general/c/choosefence_5.jpg

whats the choice to make

or this-dont know how thisck this is, but ...
http://ace.imageg.net/@v=0421@/graphics/product_images/pACE-958035dt.jpg

wait, if this is what you guys are talking, this stuff is like $70 bucks at ACE
http://ace.imageg.net/@v=0421@/graphics/product_images/pACE-985322dt.jpg

TITAN
04-25-2003, 10:43 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SGT Bilko)</div><div class='quotemain'>
http://ace.imageg.net/@v=0421@/graphics/product_images/pACE-958035dt.jpg</div>

Oh heeell no. most of that is way off! the shit im talking about is 3ftX6ft and its a flat piece. only 3 bucks(hard as hell to get in the G-ride, better bring a truck). this image is closer to the one Im talking about. I would try to get a flat piece because it will be easier to work with than this rollie pollie shit you got going on here. but this pic is gonna be the closest to what you want.

Tiptronic
04-26-2003, 06:15 AM
thanks

Sarah
04-26-2003, 08:39 AM
I have grille mesh that I have had for a year and it still hasn't been put on .....................meet project anyone??????????

Tiptronic
04-26-2003, 09:17 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(@=formerly known as Sarah)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have grille mesh that I have had for a year and it still hasn't been put on .....................meet project anyone??????????</div>

where you get it

Sarah
04-26-2003, 10:08 AM
I bought one of those $10 ones from the internet

TITAN
04-26-2003, 10:52 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(@=formerly known as Sarah)</div><div class='quotemain'>I bought one of those $10 ones from the internet</div>

:dumbass: :orangeno: :decline:

you got --> :smileysex:

:mg: internet mesh

Sarah
04-26-2003, 11:19 AM
Is someone a little smiley happy.

I don't do Home Depot..... I actually can not go inside one of those places. i went in one ONCE and I cant breathe right in there so my dad had to leave and take me home.

GaLanT
04-26-2003, 11:22 AM
Anthony, i just went to Home Depot and bought some. Go into the Gutter isle(sp?). For me, there was a 6 pack of 1x6 ft sheets. I used that for my grill and bought some for my bottom bumper now.

mrjaydeeone
04-26-2003, 11:52 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(@=formerly known as Sarah)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have grille mesh that I have had for a year and it still hasn't been put on .....................meet project anyone??????????</div>

good idea

Titanium2K2
04-26-2003, 10:35 PM
I bought some gutter guards from home depot several weeks ago. They're $1.25 for a 6"x 36" strip and started working on the two grills on my 02. I got it done and and it fits perfectly, so now i have to put a coat of clearcoat to prevent rust. I'll post some pics of the finished project and what the original mesh looks like soon. Hopefully tomorrow since I'm taking my son to the lake and snap some photos then.

Tiptronic
04-26-2003, 10:46 PM
okay, going back to homedepot tomorrow, and check em out. we'll see. thanks

TITAN
04-27-2003, 08:53 PM
ok riders, i installed my mesh today and i must say it was a little more involved than i had planned. holy shit, my hands are all cut up and i got a frekin sunburn(AZ), i was doing other stuff outside too, but still. anyway, i didnt have to glue anything, i think this would have been much more time consuming, i just eyeballed the width and height and cut out a little notch for the plastic piece that is inside on the upper part of the lower opening of the bumper, (if you already installed yours, then you know what i mean), and then just pulled it back with needle-nose plyers to make it sit str8 and it wedged itself in there real good! i think i was just lucky though.

hope you guys have as much fun as I did :thumbsup:

Titanium2K2
04-27-2003, 09:06 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(knightriderXXX)</div><div class='quotemain'>ok riders, i installed my mesh today and i must say it was a little more involved than i had planned. holy shit, my hands are all cut up and i got a frekin sunburn(AZ), i was doing other stuff outside too, but still. anyway, i didnt have to glue anything, i think this would have been much more time consuming, i just eyeballed the width and height and cut out a little notch for the plastic piece that is inside on the upper part of the lower opening of the bumper, (if you already installed yours, then you know what i mean), and then just pulled it back with needle-nose plyers to make it sit str8 and it wedged itself in there real good! i think i was just lucky though.

hope you guys have as much fun as I did :thumbsup:</div>

I had to use zip ties on the bottom bumper to make it sit in place. You're definitely right about the time frame. My hands are cut up as hell too. I look like a ghetto wrestler with bandaids on almost every finger. Overall, with the two top grills and the bottom bumber it took me about 3 1/2 hrs. That included clearcoating it and securing the bottom bumper. I'll post pics soon as I finish up the remainder of this roll of film. Knightrider, you got any pics of your finished project?

Danger DANJ
04-27-2003, 09:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SGT Bilko)</div><div class='quotemain'>okay, going back to homedepot tomorrow, and check em out. Â*we'll see. Â*thanks</div>

The rain gutter mesh at Home Depot is like the $70 stuff you posted but it comes in 6 small pieces.

http://www.dangerdanj.com/galant_front.jpg

Titanium2K2
04-27-2003, 11:08 PM
[
wait, if this is what you guys are talking, this stuff is like $70 bucks at ACE
http://ace.imageg.net/@v=0421@/graphics/product_images/pACE-985322dt.jpg[/quote]

WHAT? That same exact gutter mesh is $3.75 at Lowes. It was probably placed under the wrong price sku#. The ones that I got can be found here plus it's only $1.25 per 6''x36'' sheet: http://www.gutterworld.com/product.asp?Pro...ngedgutterguard ('http://www.gutterworld.com/product.asp?Product=hingedgutterguard')
That product that you posted up is also made by the same company but much more flimsy compared to the ones for $1.25. I hoped that helps.

pinoyesv6
04-27-2003, 11:13 PM
if you to the aisle where they have all the sheet metal you'll find some good mesh. it look jsut like the stuff you get when u buy a body kit but thicker. its realyl strong. but kinda hard to cut and bend. but yea. on a hot day, u can just rip off ur grille and put it on the motor and u gots a bbq grille. its like that stuff they put on the windows for jail busses but a lil bit smaller.

escoson
04-27-2003, 11:14 PM
makue sure you get weather proof. my friend didnt and it rusted and broke up.

BLsGalant97
04-27-2003, 11:28 PM
Hey Danj....thats tight!!! How did you secure yours BTW????

TITAN
04-28-2003, 09:55 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Titanium2K2)</div><div class='quotemain'>I had to use zip ties on the bottom bumper to make it sit in place. Â* You're definitely right about the time frame. Â*My hands are cut up as hell too. Â*I look like a ghetto wrestler with bandaids on almost every finger. Â* Overall, with the two top grills and the bottom bumber it took me about 3 1/2 hrs. Â*That included clearcoating it and securing the bottom bumper. Â*I'll post pics soon as I finish up the remainder of this roll of film. Â* Knightrider, you got any pics of your finished project?</div>

well, mines not actually finished yet, just the bottom part right now. it took me about 30min-1hr for this one. mine was already painted. the only problem was the snipping and snipping and re-snipping to get it just the right size. oh yeah, and there was this fuckin bee that kept swirling around my headlights and fog lights. i think it could smell the water that gets caught there after i wash it, anyway i finally got the cajones and took care of him.

for the top part i cut out the "blinds" or slats whatever, and right now im using bondo on it to fill in the holes and smooth it out so that i can paint it. then i will do the mesh.

i might be able to get a pic later on today

Titanium2K2
04-28-2003, 10:05 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(knightriderXXX)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Titanium2K2)</div><div class='quotemain'>I had to use zip ties on the bottom bumper to make it sit in place. Â* You're definitely right about the time frame. Â*My hands are cut up as hell too. Â*I look like a ghetto wrestler with bandaids on almost every finger. Â* Overall, with the two top grills and the bottom bumber it took me about 3 1/2 hrs. Â*That included clearcoating it and securing the bottom bumper. Â*I'll post pics soon as I finish up the remainder of this roll of film. Â* Knightrider, you got any pics of your finished project?</div>

well, mines not actually finished yet, just the bottom part right now. it took me about 30min-1hr for this one. mine was already painted. the only problem was the snipping and snipping and re-snipping to get it just the right size. oh yeah, and there was this fuckin bee that kept swirling around my headlights and fog lights. i think it could smell the water that gets caught there after i wash it, anyway i finally got the cajones and took care of him.

for the top part i cut out the "blinds" or slats whatever, and right now im using bondo on it to fill in the holes and smooth it out so that i can paint it. then i will do the mesh.

i might be able to get a pic later on today</div>

Cool :thumbsup: Keep us posted on your progress. Hopefully I can get some pics up later this evening.

TITAN
04-28-2003, 10:55 AM
yo riders, i got some pics but i dont know how to post up an actual picture, but you can check out my breifcase in my profile.

Tiptronic
04-28-2003, 10:59 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(knightriderXXX)</div><div class='quotemain'>yo riders, i got some pics but i dont know how to post up an actual picture, but you can check out my breifcase in my profile.

C:Documents and SettingsMichaelRMy DocumentsMy Pictures[/img]</div>

do you have the pics stored on the internet somewhere. if so, just use this

link to your picture

TITAN
04-28-2003, 11:22 AM
well i tried that as you can see, but i didnt do it right. right now i am up loading them to my yahoo breifcase, but the damn thing has taken about 10 min for 2 little pics.

Tiptronic
04-28-2003, 11:25 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(knightriderXXX)</div><div class='quotemain'>yo riders, i got some pics but i dont know how to post up an actual picture, but you can check out my breifcase in my profile.

C:Documents and SettingsMichaelRMy DocumentsMy Pictures[/img]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(knightriderXXX)</div><div class='quotemain'>well i tried that as you can see, but i didnt do it right. right now i am up loading them to my yahoo breifcase, but the damn thing has taken about 10 min for 2 little pics.</div>

you were actually trying to link pictures that are on your computer

TITAN
04-28-2003, 11:34 AM
OK, HERE YOU GO...

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/bigbell64/ls...case.yahoo.com/ ('http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/bigbell64/lst?.dir=/My+Folder/MY+GALANT&.order=&.view=l&.src=bc&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/')

TITAN
04-28-2003, 11:51 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SGT Bilko)</div><div class='quotemain'>you were actually trying to link pictures that are on your computer</div>

no i was uploading to yahoo briefcase, then i tried to do the link thing from yahoo, but like i said it didnt work.

anyway, they are there now. check em out and tell me what you think.

Danger DANJ
04-28-2003, 12:19 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BLsGalant97)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey Danj....thats tight!!! Â*How did you secure yours BTW????</div>

For the mesh behind the grill, I used some epoxy. The mesh in my bumper is actually held on by two self tapping screws that go into the crossbar. I painted the crossbar black so it's not easily seen through the mesh. You can kind of see it in that pic, but in person it's hard to see. Plus, the way that I bent the mesh, the license plate holder kind of helps hold it in too.

http://www.dangerdanj.com/mesh.jpg

Tiptronic
04-28-2003, 12:48 PM
hey knightrider, the pics look pretty good

TITAN
04-28-2003, 01:27 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SGT Bilko)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey knightrider, the pics look pretty good</div>

you wanna post em up so i too can learn how to post up actual images?

Tiptronic
04-28-2003, 01:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(knightriderXXX)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SGT Bilko)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey knightrider, the pics look pretty good</div>

you wanna post em up so i too can learn how to post up actual images?</div>

the problem isnt you, its the fact that you cant host pics here from yahoo. you have to save then on like imagestation, then host the link

TITAN
04-28-2003, 01:51 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p53886950fdcc5fee6d2b5f8de5545d20/fc40dbec.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p98ae10d2a4bcd05f91ae63412aab818b/fc40dbef.jpg

HELL YEAH, I FIGURED IT OUT!! WOOHOO!!!

Titanium2K2
04-28-2003, 08:55 PM
Knightrider, it looks very good man :thumbsup: . I finally got my pics back from the 1hr photo and waiting for my inlaws to get back so I can use their scanner. I need a digital camera or my own scanner BAD!!!lol

Sarah
04-28-2003, 09:01 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(knightriderXXX)</div><div class='quotemain'>http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/c873b6a7/bc/My+Folder/MY+GALANT/__hr_farmesh.jpg?bcBuXr.A1cKF3EFb

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/c873b6a7/bc/My+Folder/MY+GALANT/__hr_closemesh.jpg?bcBuXr.AObIQ3twE

HELL YEAH, I FIGURED IT OUT!! WOOHOO!!!</div>

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/misc.jpg

TITAN
04-29-2003, 02:08 PM
UM, im not sure why, but the pics arent there anymore. im going to try and do it from imagestation.

TITAN
04-29-2003, 03:15 PM
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/c873b6a7/bc/My+Folder/MY+GALANT/__hr_farmesh.jpg?bcBuXr.A1cKF3EFb

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/c873b6a7/bc/My+Folder/MY+GALANT/__hr_closemesh.jpg?bcBuXr.AObIQ3twE

HELL YEAH, I FIGURED IT OUT!! WOOHOO!!!

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/misc.jpg

why dont you delete your post or get the right links on it. i fixed mine, now you fix yours

TITAN
09-16-2003, 09:43 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Titanium2K2)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(knightriderXXX)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Titanium2K2)</div><div class='quotemain'>I had to use zip ties on the bottom bumper to make it sit in place. Â* You're definitely right about the time frame. Â*My hands are cut up as hell too. Â*I look like a ghetto wrestler with bandaids on almost every finger. Â* Overall, with the two top grills and the bottom bumber it took me about 3 1/2 hrs. Â*That included clearcoating it and securing the bottom bumper. Â*I'll post pics soon as I finish up the remainder of this roll of film. Â* Knightrider, you got any pics of your finished project?</div>

i might be able to get a pic later on today</div>

Cool :thumbsup: Keep us posted on your progress. Hopefully I can get some pics up later this evening.</div>

OK, I figured I would just post on the original thread, instead of starting a whole new one just to let you know that I finally finished this project. Plus I only have 2 pictures :? ....

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/421000-421999/421568_26_full.jpg

TITAN
09-16-2003, 09:45 AM
and.........

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/421000-421999/421568_27_full.jpg

not as good, but I didnt take the picture for the mesh, it was just a shot I took of the car....

LOL. 2 months later

TITAN
09-16-2003, 09:53 AM
again, I'd like to apoligize for the triple post...

anyway, I filled in the part where those "blinds" connect to the middle with bondo, then made the best and easiest design I could where they connected closest to the lights. then sanded and painted and epoxied the bitch and put it back on. then I replaced the old painted, big-holed mesh with sum smaller, unpainted mesh. used some zipties on the bottom to keep it in place. I was afraid before that having the aluminum colored mesh on my car might draw attention to it, but I think the Chrome 19's might have a bigger draw :wink:

check out my car on cardomain for more updated pics....

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view...?page_id=421568 ('http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=421568')

TITAN
09-16-2003, 12:54 PM
ok, 1 more dramatic 1 for good measure...

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/421000-421999/421568_21_full.jpg

damn, love those 19's!!!!!!!!!!

mighty
09-16-2003, 02:13 PM
those are some nice wheels