PDA

View Full Version : Brembos and no ABS Good Idea?

OMEGA PHX
11-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Would they lock up easier, more frequently than stock brakes? Thoughts??

Laidback8g
11-21-2012, 11:44 AM
I've got brembos on the front alone with no abs and I know that if I jam on the brakes they lock up immediately, but with regular driving they're not that bad, might do rears brembos also to have some what equal balance in braking.

Silvertune
11-21-2012, 12:56 PM
You WANT a front brake bias.

dknight3
11-21-2012, 05:33 PM
pretty sure mitsubishi knows what is the safest amount of "bias". so if you do the front brembos i would do the rear too.

i know what you are saying silvertune but your post is vague and could be misleading to some.

M-Rod
11-21-2012, 07:23 PM
I'm running Brembo brakes in the front only with no ABS also and havent had any scary situations and that includes a few auto x events where I would run a few times back to back. I would really say it depends on how good of a feel you have for your car after each modification.

cburch427
11-21-2012, 11:51 PM
quick question for you guys since we are on the subject of brakes. what would be a compatible rear brake set up for converting my drums to?? I dont want to spend tons on a conversion kit, would rather pull parts off of a parts car and upgrade later.

gtx
11-22-2012, 12:08 AM
As far as the bias goes, the evo vs galant comparison is flawed, but I'd be happy with a full brembo setup on the g. (I have baers front, brembos in the back right now.)
I
quick question for you guys since we are on the subject of brakes. what would be a compatible rear brake set up for converting my drums to?? I dont want to spend tons on a conversion kit, would rather pull parts off of a parts car and upgrade later.
I'm sure there's a list floating around somewhere for what you need, just search. Any v6 3g or 8g would be perfect donors. I have calipers with pads for sale, if you want them, I'll throw in the brakelines too.

kolio
11-22-2012, 02:48 AM
I have 4 piston fronts on my 7G with no abs. in emergency braking situations they lock up in an instant. But i comes down to your tires and your feel for the car. You learn never to jam the brakes on and modulate the pedal so you can brake hard without locking them up.

as far as braking bias, while you can change it, it is determined mostly by the proportioning valve on the firewall. as long as you have one meant for a rear disk car you don't have to worry about it. but next comes if you want more braking force from an upgraded brake master

cburch427
01-17-2013, 06:07 PM
Have you guys that did the rear disc conversion change up the proportioning valve or leave in the stock one?

keith6110
01-17-2013, 06:13 PM
I left stock. Works fine so far, but I don't autocross or anything.

Galantman03
01-17-2013, 06:35 PM
I changed it to a v6 without abs prop valve

Dominicano
01-17-2013, 07:24 PM
why wouldnt you just leave the ABS on if you switch to brembos?

keith6110
01-17-2013, 07:58 PM
why wouldnt you just leave the ABS on if you switch to brembos?

I can't speak for everyone, but when my other car was totaled I re-used my A-arms and just snipped the abs wire. I could wire them back up, but the sensors are rusted in and not worth the hassle. If I drove it in the winter, I would have hooked them up again.

greddy
01-17-2013, 08:46 PM
I have Brembos with no abs on a 4cylinder galant, I run a v6 proportioning valve.

02redgalant
01-17-2013, 09:55 PM
i have brembos on mine with original proportioning valve(02 4cyl with drums)

kolio
01-17-2013, 10:36 PM
i need to swap my prop valve. everyone should. i have it sitting on my desk. just laziness and lack of driving the car really

with the drum prop valve, the rear calipers barely clamp. Drums take less pressure to work. Once you swap the valve it will help, since the back will be pulling its weight.

cburch427
01-19-2013, 02:05 PM
hey GTX how much plus shipping for the calipers lines and pads? i live in texas. I am very interested