PDA

View Full Version : TINTED WINDOWS?

GuyWitGalant
04-25-2003, 07:37 AM
i just got all my windows tinted yesterday....and i chose a 20% tint. I know in some states its legal to have all the windows tinted......but in my home state of jersey......its ILLEGAL to have the front windows tinted!! i guess the cops aren't very strict about it since i 've seen so many people driving around with it.....so i'm taking my chances and got all mines done!!! Has anyone had any problems with the cops (in jersey or any state) about ur windows being tinted??? and how much are the ticketss hehe????

Kalamidad
04-25-2003, 08:25 AM
It is illegal to have your windows tinted if it allows less than 80% of the light through.
It is legal for SUV to have all windows tinted except the two front windows and front windshield
It is Legal for Taxis and Limosines to have all windows tinted
Tint with any type of mirror effect is illegal. by this i mean the tint that looks like a mirror or that fades to a mirror look, If you live in NY or NJ i'm sure you've seen it.
The $$$ for the tickets depends where you go. I go ticketed for mine in Mt. Saint pleasant, NY and the service charge was more than the actual ticket. I NYC it will definately be more. you could say bey to hundreds of dollars depending on where you get caught..

GuyWitGalant
04-25-2003, 09:58 AM
what do u mean by service charge? i thought NY allowed tints on all windows?

delo
04-25-2003, 11:09 AM
In NY u can tint all windows except front windshield. but the tint has to allow more than 80% of light through.

NightHawkTL
04-25-2003, 11:45 AM
Jersey Police officers are anal about tint on the front windows no matter what % u put on, nothing at all is allowed on the front, as of some other states too obviously, i had tint up front (mirror) and I was pulled over ATLEAST 3-4 times a week and too many tickets local police know me by name and know my license info already.. oh yea $44 for each ticket for "illegal tint", police get very cautious and its understandable..

sd2775906
04-25-2003, 01:57 PM
My mirror tint reads 22-25% on the meter all around. I've never been pulled over for it, but when I've been pulled over for speeding, they don't care. On a cloudy day/rainy day, no one is seeing in. The only problem is trying to get an inspection sticker, but I usually find someone who'll pass me.

Ghost Beat
04-25-2003, 02:05 PM
here in upstate NY i hear its legal to run up to 35% i havent gotten tints yet but i hear thats what the legal limit is.

TWISTED II
04-25-2003, 02:30 PM
in chicago, if you have 90% window tint on the driver and passenger windows its illegal. any tint what so ever is illegal on front windows. kinda sucks.

Gladiator
04-25-2003, 07:36 PM
how do the po po determine the % light that is allowed through? :shock:

sd2775906
04-25-2003, 09:34 PM
Some cops just "eyeball" it and use his judgment. One time I had a cop put his hand in my car and put it behind my rear driver window and "tested" it. If you're lucky, you'll get a cop with a window tint detector, like the one at inspection stations, and test you right there.

Dave@SE
04-28-2003, 08:45 PM
I live in Jersey... got 3 tickets within the last 2 months for tint. $44 each, all in different towns. It all depends on where you live. By my work and my brothers house, I never have any problems. They don't either (20% tint all around including 35% on the windshield). I think it happens a lot in smaller towns because the cops have nothing better to do. My advice: roll your windows down if the weather is nice https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

Niytrus
04-28-2003, 08:48 PM
anyone know where I could find the laws on tint for my state?

Khopari
04-28-2003, 08:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gladiator)</div><div class='quotemain'>how do the po po determine the % light that is allowed through? :shock:</div>

umm when u get your tint done just ask em what % u want.,..

Reelax
04-28-2003, 10:26 PM
http://www.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/ ('http://www.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/')
http://gr8tint.com/laws.htm ('http://gr8tint.com/laws.htm')
http://www.gilafilms.com/auto/car_tint_laws.html ('http://www.gilafilms.com/auto/car_tint_laws.html')

here is a pic of my car when i had all seven windows tinted (35% blue on every window except the windshield). i since got 3 tickets for it so i had to go into inspection. since my tint was a custom marine tint (for boats) and the company has since gone under, i could not re-tint my windows... so i bought 2 new front windows and saved the tined front windows to put in after my court dates. btw. in california, all my windows are illegal because of the color.

http://www.raniworld.com/RAAA/10blue.jpg

sleepagalant
04-28-2003, 10:34 PM
i am in VA and the only time i have been checked for my tint is when i was pulled over for speeding .... i have 19% all four door windows and 5% rear window just got a warning for it
in VA front driver and passenger windows = 50%
rear driver and passenger windows = 35%
back can be anything cuz they cant test it ..lol
atleast that is what the cop told me ... oh well

GaLanT
04-28-2003, 11:50 PM
when i got pulled over for my HID's, he had me roll up my front windows and flashed his flashlight through em. I wanted to play it safe (too much illegal aspects on my car already https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif ) The tint guy kept pressuring me to get all windows done despite the HUGE banner right behind him saying that it is illegal.

Niytrus
04-29-2003, 12:01 AM
thanks Reelax

Reelax
04-29-2003, 12:03 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spy)</div><div class='quotemain'>thanks Reelax</div>

hey no problem. glad i could help. :thumbsup:

delo
04-29-2003, 11:50 AM
Relax, what happens after the court date? when u put the tinted windows back on and u get stopped again. r u gonna keep changing the windows? my tint used to be so dark that at night i had to put the windows down to see out of the side mirrors. thats how i brought the car. it was in florida before i got it. changed the tint after one window was broken and the tint shop said that it was a special tint that was not made anymore. so i got a lighter tint. i was kinda loving the darker tint though. i'm sure it was illegal but i was never stopped though. too much crime in ny for cops to be stopping cars just for tints.

Reelax
04-29-2003, 01:52 PM
Relax, what happens after the court date? when u put the tinted windows back on and u get stopped again. r u gonna keep changing the windows?...

exactly.

Faction
04-29-2003, 05:00 PM
how much is tint? in florida they arent strict on tint, at least thats what i know because some SUV's around jacksonville have tint where you can't see them at ALL

blakstarz73
04-30-2003, 07:26 PM
I've had tint for years...never had a problem with the cops out here in Jersey....and my tint is DARK!

NightHawkTL
05-01-2003, 10:35 AM
from what i noticed in Jersey, the farther up north depending on where u are Cops can care less about the tint, other things to worry about, when u come south from where I am (central) or farther south along the shore Cops are worse with the tint, , i work and go to school up north as far as Piscataway/edison/Brunswick,at lights police would stop next to me and not do a thing but where I live I would drive by and a cop would be driving the other way on a highway he would make a u-turn and catch me a mile away for the tint...

GuyWitGalant
05-02-2003, 12:19 PM
well............its been a week and so far so good!!!(knock on wood!!) i still get paranoid when i see a cop!! hehe but other than that..........the tint on the window looks really nice........ 8)

Gladiator
05-03-2003, 02:43 PM
too much crime in ny for cops to be stopping cars just for tints.

True DAT lol, I don't think NYPD is that strict on the tints. I have seen so many pitch black tints around without a problem.

john mars
05-05-2003, 12:26 PM
mine is 35% front and 20% rears. don't wanna take chances. I want the cops to see my siloutte. inspection here in PA is not universal. some will pass u and some won't.

Potr
05-05-2003, 12:36 PM
In florida i dont know what the limit is on tint but the po dont really care unless you get an anal one who has nothing better to do but pick on kids... my friend has tint so dark you cant see through it in the middle of the day so... i dont know

Ryostyle
05-30-2003, 04:14 AM
I live in cali and have 70% light throughput on my front side windows. Got pulled over by a cock blockin cop after midnight who wasn't even on the same street as me. He ticketed me for tinted windows. Told me that no tint was legal. I knew the law was changed in 99, he didn't want to hear that. Had the paperwork to prove it, and he still didn't want to hear that. He decided to ticket me also for having my plate in my windshield. To make a long story short, my license is suspended now for tinted windows. Going to court in June to get it back. My cousin is a cop and he's gonna sign off on my tickets. I payed 169 to have my windows tinted. Not much, but its the damn principal. I also know that ticketing on lighting, tinting and plates is right out of the "how to harass people that suspectedly street race but haven't been caught" handbook. The reason I say that is cuz my cousin is a seargent and he told me thats what cops do. (my cousin by the way has darker tinted windows than I do). Also I called the police to complain and asked the "what are the tinting laws?", the trafic officer replied "I'm not up on all the laws, sir"....... Police can get you on any damn thing they want to. Make your car nice enough and they'll do whatever they can to harass you. Big reason I'm moving out of town....lol

Mank
05-30-2003, 08:44 PM
Llumar Platinum PLus tint. Its totally legal here in Texas. Click on my website for a picture.