PDA

View Full Version : Changed timing belt now noise

tdybear09
11-29-2012, 01:29 AM
Hey I just changed the timing belt on my 2.4l and the timing belt seems to be making noise. At about 1,500 RPM'S it starts to low whine almost like a loose altenator belt in a way and goes away over 2,000 RPM's. I put it all together perfect, It could be the thin plate on the crank that the crank position sensor is detecting. I dont know if maybe that plate is rubbing the balance shaft belt or not. Or maybe a bad new bearing in the gates kit that I put on. I think it might go away after wearing in. Has anyone else had this problem?

M-Rod
11-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Check the belt tension. I had a similar instance a few years ago on a timing belt job I did on an elantra. I couldn't figure out this whine for the life of me until I went back and realized I applied too much tension to the belt.

tdybear09
11-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Ok yea I was not really sure how much tension went on the balance shaft belt I put it on a little tight. Maybe that is it, I will check that out this weekend. The the main belt I can still put the granade pin in and out so I know it is good. thank you

tdybear09
11-29-2012, 06:26 PM
It really bothered me so I took it apart just a minute ago and it was the thin plate that seperates the two belts on the crank. It was the two ears that I bent out and then it stoped. They rubbed the balance shaft belt and making that noise. I am happy now thanks.:bouncing: