PDA

View Full Version : idle/startup problems after break in

chessx
12-10-2012, 04:41 PM
well a few days ago i woke up to see my poor baby vandalized https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-4hr61sZZYc4/ULqTU7KOAJI/AAAAAAAABFg/_Yw6jAhJC3I/s774/20121130_123057.jpg https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-dfSouJ3tjMs/ULqTOFXYSQI/AAAAAAAABFU/RLcbiTXT0Vk/s1032/20121130_123116.jpg broke the rear corner window and literally stole everything down to my half empty Snapple and air fresheners waited for the cops for 14 hours never showed up even after 3 calls, wound up walking to the station myself, but anyways back to the problem at hand, as you can see they must have used a crowbar or something on the console is wrecked, wiring from the back of the radio was ripped out of the unit so i doubt even works ( and i had the security plate on me as well dumbasses) but now i turned on the car it idles really low like 500 and under and it kind of dips between 700-400 rpms, then the same day i was driving it and it just shut off when i came to a stop at a sign. lights on the dash were on, so i turned the key off than on and it was just dead, no power to anything, and i know the battery is good, popped the hood looked at the battery connections everything seemed fine but still no power, so i kinda just pushed the battery a bit an bam power restored so i hopped in and drove home, parked and turned it off than on and no power again, moved the batt again powers back on, i double checked the power and ground to the batt and they were tight and secure, wondering if ripping the radio out like that could have damaged the car wiring ?

mko
12-10-2012, 06:23 PM
I'd clean the battery and terminals with a sandpaper and apply some dielectric grease on terminals. Trace the ground wires from battery and from intake manifold to firewall - clean with sandpaper and apply grease again.

Report back after a day of driving.

chessx
12-10-2012, 07:35 PM
any particular grit?

mko
12-10-2012, 07:50 PM
60 i guess

chessx
12-22-2012, 09:44 AM
just cleaned it up today, will report back 2morrow on it

chessx
01-03-2013, 11:08 PM
been caught up in the holidays , that seemingly cleared the problem up though thanks, sadly a few days ago nearly every light came on the dash and it started going completely batshit while i was driving :/