PDA

View Full Version : service engine!

Stavy6
12-17-2012, 07:24 PM
I just dropped 600 td and 200 last week on th his car. I get itback tn serv. Engine light is off drove bout 30 miles it comes back on! Just had it scanned it says pending warm-up beneath threshold below efficiency. Wtf. That's what I just had it fixed for he put in new downstream o2 sensor. New flex pipe and new gas cap along with oil pan. Idk what would make that code pop back up? He said he cleared them..

bgood12
12-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Give us the code number

8thLS6
12-17-2012, 10:56 PM
I have a strange feeling we might have the same code. I'll have to look it up when I get home, but I got a service engine light I can't shake either. I let the shop look at it once already, and they also mentioned something about warm-up, but in relation to the catalytic converter? They cleared it and said let them know if it returns. Well come Saturday I get a light again, but haven't gotten the code. Another strange thing is it happened the first time on a sat, and also after I filled the gas tank up. Seems like it only comes on on sats when I get gas lol. I had filled up in between then with no problems, but with shell. Seema to only happen with "no name" gas stations too?

8thLS6
12-18-2012, 12:18 AM
P0431 is what they listed on my receipt

bgood12
12-18-2012, 12:54 AM
Dude what year is your car I checked the pdf I checked the alldatadiy and the Haynes and I don't see that code listed. They must mean p0421

bgood12
12-18-2012, 12:57 AM
In any case looks like if they did all that, a cat just went you might be able to get some fuell additive like chevron techrom and see if that in your tank cleans it up or change cat maybe shop will do it since they didn't fix problem

bgood12
12-18-2012, 01:05 AM
He did clear them but problem can come back. Its a code with the cat I bet. Is yours v6, federal or cali spec?

8thLS6
12-18-2012, 01:06 AM
02 v6..I dunno I googled it by putting in "thegalantcenter po431" and results came up that sounded right?

bgood12
12-18-2012, 01:14 AM
Nawl man u did right its a common code by mitsu but it means the cat is out. It check voltage of downstream to upstream, and if they are the same or too close then it says that the cat is not working.

bgood12
12-18-2012, 01:21 AM
Good thing is go to rock auto and a new cat is 161 max u just have to figure out which one is bad.

Stavy6
12-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Ok well problem fixed guys..most important check gas cap I had a faulty one even tho it was new. For the threshold bellow efficency code the guy checked again it was pending and went away. What threw my code was evap leak from gas cap. My guy is awesome in mitsubishi cars for all u worried about ur cat he said 90% of the time it is not the cat it is one of o2 sensors not fluctuating with other sensor. He has been working on these cars for 20 yrs and says our cats are rock solid. They rarely go bad. So I got my problem fixed ill post some pics of the work he did its awesome. 185k miles car sounds brand new

bgood12
12-18-2012, 11:37 AM
good job glad it worked

8thLS6
12-18-2012, 12:17 PM
So maybe I should try a new cap first? Cause like I said it seems to happen a few miles after getting gas?

Stavy6
12-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Yea deff try new cap its only 11 bucks..my codes came back up though now saying evap leak somewhere in gas system..gotta drop it off again Friday. The code for my car came up p0421 which my mechanic says makes no sense there are no leaks and he checked cat with temp gun also rear o2 sensor is new. He said he knows how to get rid of code for good. The other code is p0455. I got a new cap so its not that.chefuel tank and no leaks..the car is running fine Tue only other thing he can think of would be a small pinhole somewhere in the hose that's causing this leak code...idk but I'm sick of dropping allthis money..

bgood12
12-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Everywhere I read says its the cat cause its a rare code I know u don't wanna hear it but its a 13 year old car. my xats haven't gone bad yet we do diff driving. Just search on google mitsubishi and that code and look up what you can find. Maybe type the work fixed so u can see how it was solved.

bgood12
12-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Alldata says code p0455 says most likely causes for code in order
Loose fuel cap
fuel cap relief pressure incorrect
Fuel overlow limiter valve
Purge line or vapor line clogged
Evap purge solenoid failed
Evap emission ventaltion solenoid failed

I would guess its fuel cap

8thLS6
12-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Everywhere I read says its the cat cause its a rare code I know u don't wanna hear it but its a 13 year old car. my xats haven't gone bad yet we do diff driving. Just search on google mitsubishi and that code and look up what you can find. Maybe type the work fixed so u can see how it was solved.

Meant to say it earlier but thanks to you and Stavy for the advice. Any idea on how I long I can go before having to replace the cat? So far I haven't notice any gas fumes, loss in performance, bad gas mileage, change in exhaust tone. Hope your problem gets solved for good Stavy...I know the sooner the better

bgood12
12-20-2012, 12:25 AM
Reallyit only affects emissions and slightly eff. So when u get the money do it maybe holiday money

8thLS6
12-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Well knock on wood, but I failed to mention the first time I filled the tank up, I poured some marvel mystery oil in the tank. I thought it might have been to blame until it came on the 2nd time, and all I had in the tank was straight gas then. So I figured why not try adding some MMO again. After like two days of driving with the added MMO, the light cut off on its own?!?. I didn't do ANYTHING different but add MMO. All I know is on my way home from work last night, the light was on. The car then sat all night as is, until I started it for the first time earlier today, and no annoying orange light at the bottom of my cluster. Smh lol

Stavy6
12-24-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm going in wed to get it straightened out will def let u guys know what goes down..quick question is there any way I could edit my name on here like my username?