PDA

View Full Version : Car just died. help!

JDyal
12-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Hey guys. I just got out of work and my g started with the remote starter and it ran but all the lights were dim then off inside. the hids flickered badly and when i took the key out it wouldnt start. my dad came and jumped it and it started then died the same way again. We are waiting for triple a and isnt that the alternator? But i smell something so could it be something else?

oakrdrs187
12-28-2012, 05:30 AM
Possible its the alternator or battery.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

JDyal
12-28-2012, 01:06 PM
My mechanic is saying nothing is wrong and its prob my hids. I need to warm the car before turning on lights

mko
12-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Disconnect the HIDs plugs and see what happens. They might be shorting something

SPD_FRK
12-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Ask for a charging system test print out. Battery test information, alternator load testing information.

There is no reason to "warm up the car" before turning on your headlights, HID or not. An HID system is not putting any additional electrical strain on the system when they are turned on, simply a 12v supply into the ballast which in turn output the high voltage needed for the lighting system.

If HIDs are flickering, that is a sign of failed ballast, or low voltage. Given the symptoms described I would start asking for the above mentioned information printout to see how the battery voltage, cold cranking, as well as charging system is doing with and without loads (all lights on, heat/ac fan on high).

Skyforger
12-28-2012, 08:30 PM
Ask for a charging system test print out. Battery test information, alternator load testing information.

There is no reason to "warm up the car" before turning on your headlights, HID or not. An HID system is not putting any additional electrical strain on the system when they are turned on, simply a 12v supply into the ballast which in turn output the high voltage needed for the lighting system.

If HIDs are flickering, that is a sign of failed ballast, or low voltage. Given the symptoms described I would start asking for the above mentioned information printout to see how the battery voltage, cold cranking, as well as charging system is doing with and without loads (all lights on, heat/ac fan on high).

^ This right here.

I have a feeling the alternator could have kicked the bucket. Probably ran straight off the battery and drained it completely. Depending on how bad it was drained, you might need to replace the battery as well...a bad cell could have resulted from the excessive strain of the alternator failing.

bgood12
12-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Try changing battery with a optima battery.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Skyforger
12-28-2012, 09:50 PM

Won't do any good if the alternator is bad.

bgood12
12-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Mine did this the other day, let me guess it's cold and you have not used the car in three or do days. The battery had just drained.like they said before, see if it can be red charged.my battery is options do I jumped my car.last it Tom for fifteen minutes then drove it around the block for about ten minutes then let it sit another ten minutes. Then I turned the car off and see if it started up and it did.it's been for since and we drive to Oklahoma city and back yesterday a five hour drive. Check your voltage mine was about 11 something which is barely good for congress and lights to work but usually not good to stay the car. I don't remember what the village is I think ten but they say if it goes below that certain voltage get a news battery, good luck.

bgood12
12-28-2012, 10:01 PM
That's their but I don't think it's the alternator but if it is that's correct
.but let's say by chance it's the alternator that's more expensive than a battery, and why get a new one with s old worn out battery.so change the cheapest first

Skyforger
12-28-2012, 10:04 PM
That's their but I don't think it's the alternator but if it is that's correct
.but let's say by chance it's the alternator that's more expensive than a battery, and why get a new one with s old worn out battery.so change the cheapest first

lolno

Throwing money at a problem without the right diagnosis isn't how you solve the issue. Have the charging system checked and see what voltage the alternator is putting out with and without a load. Then go from there. A new battery with a bad alternator? Have fun pissing away $100 or more for another battery.

bgood12
12-28-2012, 10:11 PM
O said check the voltage on battery.if it's too low it's first anyway but if it's not try to recharge it. We all know the alternator can be checked but I doubt that's the problem.I had one my car your just shut off and many times we all on here said check alternator I took it out had it checked and it was fine, so I found the problem elsewhere.then it happened where I could not start my car.battery checked out alternator checked out it was starter.I'm saying these things last word s while so before he takes the alternator out in the cold of winter check the voltage get s battery check and see if that's it.then check starter then alternator. My starter did go out faster when I got my remote starter but I changed it on the car without taking headers out and for forty dollars.

SPD_FRK
12-28-2012, 10:29 PM
There is a reason why Mitsubishi pays me to work on their vehicles, along with Chrysler doing the same. Diagnose things properly, and correctly the first time.

Throwing a new battery at a car with a dead alternator doesn't fix the problem, nor does it truly diagnose the issue the first time. If you battery fails a battery test it will tell you to replace the battery, plain and simple. If the battery is good, but low on charge it will tell you "Good Battery - Recharge."

If the alternator is bad, yes they are expensive, but then again last time I priced a replacement battery they were $90+ so you be the judge of what to replace first...A battery that just needs to be recharged due to failed alternator, or throw a new battery at the car that wasn't needed and STILL need to replace the alternator?

SPD_FRK
12-28-2012, 10:32 PM
If your starter craps out, it craps out. No cranking...pretty easy to figure out when it is a starter issue and not a charging/battery issue.

bgood12
12-28-2012, 10:38 PM
I get sick of arguing the same point, when I answer I answer as if the person has no clue I never said dude just get battery I said what you said pressed differently.but I will say it more plainly.when diagnosing car problems, all you can do is take step by step approach from the simplest to the more complex. Thusly check battery, go down the list of items to check until the problem is figured out. Good luck.

Skyforger
12-28-2012, 10:54 PM
I get sick of arguing the same point, when I answer I answer as if the person has no clue I never said dude just get battery I said what you said pressed differently.but I will say it more plainly.when diagnosing car problems, all you can do is take step by step approach from the simplest to the more complex. Thusly check battery, go down the list of items to check until the problem is figured out. Good luck.

Okay...

That was your first post. If that's not implying to "throw money at the car and see what happens," then I'm missing something.

Diagnosing > replacing the cheapest parts to change

bgood12
12-28-2012, 11:12 PM
Indeed, just looked at last post when I first posted then I read posted again when I realized that the problem was never diagnosed.but yes you are correct one again we both are.

JDyal
01-06-2013, 10:37 PM
I have an Red top optima battery that I got last year so I know that's not the problem. Well so far no problems, I let the car warm up anyway out of habit I just don't turn the lights on right away. When I get a little more cash I'm going straight to DDM tuning and getting a kit since I do need a better set and one bulb shines brighter than the other. Thanks for the info guys, I'm running a CEL which I have been on and off for a while, so I'll get the codes checked if there's more than one and see if I do need a new alternator but idts, the mechanic did all the tests mentioned above and everything was fine...