PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous electrical issues...

Blue3000GTguy
01-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Okay, so when I bought my car, everything worked. Most of it still does, but now I've encountered a few issues:

1.) Sometimes, the power locks unlock on their own. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it does it for a few days at a time. Sometimes it will just do it once, then won't do it again for a while, other times it will just keep unlocking over and over, and nothing I do makes it stop. Sometimes I think touching my knee to the door panel on the outside of the button panel makes it happen (which is a lot of the time because I'm gigantic), but I haven't been able to find any answers.
2.) I have power mirrors, and the driver's side has stopped working entirely. It worked when I got the car, but it has since stopped. The passenger side still works though, so I'm assuming it's a problem with the mirror? I bought a pair of '96 Accord power mirrors a few months ago to swap on, but I haven't gotten around to it... Would those work fine?
3.) My cruise control quit working the other day. I accidentally hit the button to turn it off on the end of the stick while turning, and after that, it hasn't come back on. It was used every day for a few weeks before that, though.

So, any ideas? I'm at a loss, here.

mko
01-09-2013, 03:58 PM
1) You need to remove the master switch and give it a good cleaning. Rain and other contaminates get in there and can cause some of the circuits to short. The plastic buttons on top push on rubber grommet buttons (just like in any remote control or calculator) and if some finger oils and dirt have gotten into it then it can trip the circuit w/o you even touching it.

2)Pull the triangle plastic trim on the inside of the door and access the harness and plug. Check the voltages on each pin and compare them to the other side mirror plug. It could be the mirror or the switch. IDK about the Accord mirrors.

3)The cruise control lever/button is very flimsy, it doesnt take much to break. Best shot is to get another one from the junkyard

Blue3000GTguy
01-09-2013, 10:57 PM
1) You need to remove the master switch and give it a good cleaning. Rain and other contaminates get in there and can cause some of the circuits to short. The plastic buttons on top push on rubber grommet buttons (just like in any remote control or calculator) and if some finger oils and dirt have gotten into it then it can trip the circuit w/o you even touching it.

2)Pull the triangle plastic trim on the inside of the door and access the harness and plug. Check the voltages on each pin and compare them to the other side mirror plug. It could be the mirror or the switch. IDK about the Accord mirrors.

3)The cruise control lever/button is very flimsy, it doesnt take much to break. Best shot is to get another one from the junkyard

Thanks for the advice... I'll pull the switches out when I get a chance, and take a look at them. While I'm at it, I might as well go ahead and change the color of the lights inside it, with blue LEDs I originally bought for my 3000GT...
I'll take a look at the how-to threads on Accord mirrors, and figure out if they work... If they do, sweet! If not, well, oh well. Only out $30 bucks.
The cruise control arm on the 3000GT is a sturdy piece of work... I might check to see if they fit.