PDA

View Full Version : Crank no start

Da_Prodigy
01-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Alright my '00 Galant 3.0L ES cranks wont start. I kept blowing fuse #13 20A on the relay box which seems topower up my MFI relay and control my DLC connection because i was unable to connect with the car. After i changed that fuse car started up fine left the car warming up for 20mins, came back out, fuse blew again and car didnt start. Changed fuse one more time just so i can get home. Engine cranked, starter whined and car smelled like fuel but failed to start. That same fuse didn't blow up.

Next day i checked PRNDL switch n spark, battery. I scanned the car pulled P0335 code. I dont have access to alldata or anything until Monday. I was hoping to see if anyone knew the testing procedure for the CKS and specs, and a complete wiring of what else is wired to fuse #13 20Amp and if CKS and that fuse are in any way wired in any way together. I don't want to replace the CKS only to short out the new one. Any help and input would be greatly appriciated.

Galanttuner10
01-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Blowing fuses means a short to ground. So I would get the wiring diagrams and track the circuit. Something is pinched or wore through the insulation and hitting metal.

Da_Prodigy
01-11-2013, 12:47 AM
Yeah I know I got a short a somewhere in the circuit, I was hoping to see if anyone knew that circuit well enough to see if those two circuits were connected at all so I can start doing some diagnosis this weekend. I guess i'll hold off until Monday when I get access to alldata/mitchell.

SPD_FRK
01-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Your MFI relay feeds a 12v power signal to the sensors on the engine. The crankshaft position sensor has a 12v power wire (red) coming into it from the MFI relay, a black ground wire, and then a Green/Red wire which is 5v signal wire from the pcm.

I would advise to inspect the crankshaft position sensor wiring coming up from the crank sensor wheel (located behind timing cover). At times these wires can get loose and start to wear or get caught and chewed up. The crank sensor provides the spark signal, so if you smell fuel and the car isn't starting up your best place to start is with that particular sensor.