PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak...wtf

89bri
01-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Alright so a month ago I took my car into the shop for the service engine light and they replaced an injector o-ring. It ran pretty great for about a week. Well when I changed the oil the day after I got my car back I had my boyfriend change the oil, just because I didn't want to, and it smelled like the shop either got gas in it or put gas in it (apparently after taking my car in this particular shop I found out that they will do shit to your car so you need to bring it back) and yes I still have the old oil in a jug. Well I noticed my car started to burn oil worse, before it would start to burn oil when it was time to change the oil. Well now it was to the point that every time I filled my gas tank up or the equivalent to a fill up I would have to be putting oil in my car. This is really pissing me off. Well after closer inspection I have realized that the car isn't necessarily burning oil, well I'm sure it slightly is just because it isn't a new car anymore, but the main problem is its LEAKING oil. The car is leaking oil out right around a coil pack. I will include pictures so you can see exactly what I am talking about. What can I do? Is there anything I can do or am I going to have to find a mechanic? And could this be caused by something that shitty shop did?

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/89bri008/003-1_zpsc412f398.jpg

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/89bri008/004-1_zps5814241c.jpg

89bri
01-11-2013, 09:32 AM
And if I sound like a car idiot at all in my post...well that's because I am.

Dominicano
01-11-2013, 09:35 AM
when was the valve cover changed? did you check the edge of the cover where it meets the engine is it oily there as well? if the top if leaking oil then the tube seals needs to be replaced and since you are replacing that you need to change the valve gasket. You should also check the rear to see if you find oil around the edges there as well, it will be harder to see it so you have to use your hands and under by the edges to see if there is oil.

89bri
01-11-2013, 09:43 AM
uh...never in the time that I've owned the car and I doubt the owner before me did it because when I got the car it had bald tires and warped rotors up front, burn marks all up on the inside of the car, and the headliner of the car just needs to be replaced. Basically I saved the car and I'm trying to bring the car back to life. And I won't lie I have no freaking idea what you are talking about. I'm going to ask my boyfriend and my dad if they have any idea if they know what you are talking about (my dad will, my boyfriend I'm not sure, he's just learning about cars now). The only reason I know how to do any of the things I do to my car is because I have the Haynes book for my car or my dad taught me but names of things I'm rather clueless lol

89bri
01-11-2013, 10:13 AM
Alright after looking at my haynes book I see exactly what you are talking about. I went and felt around the back of it and there was no oil anywhere that I could get my hand to except in the front of it where it was just CAKED with oil.

Dominicano
01-11-2013, 11:09 AM
so if the front is caked with oil then you would need to replace those. if you dont feel oil in the back then most likely you are ok, changing the back would require atleast 3-4 hours just to remove stuff and you have to get a new plenum gasket as well. so you can start with the front and go from there. if you get this from Rockauto.com Fel-pro part # VS50461r the kit is for both front and back is like 27 bucks, if you go to the dealer you will pay that just for the gasket as the dealer charges another 13 bucks for each tube seal.

Tip for you, which the book does not mention is the gasket that goes on the cover only fits one way so if you have to stretch it to fit it then it will leak again.

oakrdrs187
01-11-2013, 11:25 AM
If you had a leaking injector it is normal to have gas seep through the rings and end up in the oil, after injector is repaired a simple oil change does the trick.

As for the car running rough, oil in the spark plug tube will cause it to misfire, you need to change the gaskets and seals as mentioned above. Also since the Plenum is coming off and its not the simplest of tasks to remove it, I recommend you change the spark plugs and wires, and if cash allows new distributor cap and rotor too.

Sent from Tapatalk 2 using my Rooted DROID BIONIC on Android ICS

keith6110
01-11-2013, 12:19 PM
If you had a leaking injector it is normal to have gas seep through the rings and end up in the oil, after injector is repaired a simple oil change does the trick.

As for the car running rough, oil in the spark plug tube will cause it to misfire, you need to change the gaskets and seals as mentioned above. Also since the Plenum is coming off and its not the simplest of tasks to remove it, I recommend you change the spark plugs and wires, and if cash allows new distributor cap and rotor too.

Sent from Tapatalk 2 using my Rooted DROID BIONIC on Android ICS

Should also note: If you are having misfire problems because of the oil leak getting into the spark tubes, this is likely your gas in the oil problem. Fuel left over from not being burned just goes past the rings and into the oil. Too much gas in the oil will spin bearings in the engine from not enough lubricant.

Just fyi.

89bri
01-11-2013, 12:50 PM
I have changed the spark plugs and wires fairly recently and I know how much of a pain that is lol I did have to have help with that one. Ever since I changed the oil since having the o-ring on the injector fixed the smell of gas has completely disappeared from the oil though.

Edit to add: I shouldn't type while I'm watching tv. The smell of gas in the oil is gone since I did the oil change.

oakrdrs187
01-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Then you should just do the seals and gaskets and at least throw in new plugs while youre there.

M-Rod
01-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Spark plug tube seals leaking is perfectly normal over time. pull the valve cover and install new ones along with a new gasket. problem solved in 15 minutes.

Galanttuner10
01-11-2013, 05:46 PM
check to see if the plugs are tight and that they aren't lose, they could have loosened them if they are that kind of shop, i have seen it done. if it is just the front bank leaking even after checking that i guess break down and buy a valve cover set and do the front now and back when it goes, if ever.

Dominicano
01-11-2013, 09:01 PM
check to see if the plugs are tight and that they aren't lose, they could have loosened them if they are that kind of shop, i have seen it done. if it is just the front bank leaking even after checking that i guess break down and buy a valve cover set and do the front now and back when it goes, if ever.

best way to go about it, the front is only 15 minutes but the rear is over 3 hours. But its good to make sure you get the front right because if you make it too tight it will leak, if you don't make it tight enough it will leak so once you know the front is fine then tackle the back so you only have to do it one lol i had to do my rears like 2 times before i got it right but should of practiced with the first first.

89bri
01-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Thank you all for your help. My boyfriend and I decided that since my car is older anyway we might as well tear it all apart and replace what we can since we will be working on it anyway so as soon as tax money comes in (I hate the wait but I got laid off so it has to wait unless I get called back into work next week) we are going to have a work on my car weekend. Any thing you guys can recommend while I have it torn apart to make it run like new (but not to crazy here guys, it is a limited budget so no engine rebuilds lol) I would appreciate.

Dominicano
01-14-2013, 03:11 PM
besides what you already been told you can also clean the throttle body, change the wire plugs, put a new distributor rotor, Distributor O-ring if you feel leaks under the distributor. you going to need new gaskets for the plenum, if you take the throttle body off you going to need a new gasket for that as well. You can also check the water side of it by changing the water temp thermometer. If you decide to to the coolant side there is a plate that covers the cam on the front cylinders Is like where the distributor is but on the front banks that tends to leak with age as all it is a plate with an O-ring but to get to it you need to remove the coolant piping and since you are taking that off might as well flush your coolant. oh yeah and most important check your belts if they need to be changes log easier to work with everything off.

89bri
01-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Alright for those of you who use rockauto.com, if I wanted to get something that has a core charge how would I go about getting the core charge back? I just don't feel like making a whole post about this if any of you would know.

Dominicano
01-14-2013, 04:36 PM
i believe that they will send you something to send the stuff back to them it should be on their website. I never bought anything for them that had a core.

GSpeed
05-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Hello, interested in changing front valve cover gasket as well (02 galant ES-V6), and would like to know if anything else is needed other than valve cover gasket / spark plug tube seals, prior to replacing (Permatex PermaShield Fuel Resistant Gasket Dressing & Flange Sealant used?) .
Dominicano, thank you for submitting part number in your post (Fel-pro part # VS50461R).
Came across the following link and thought it may be useful to post (valve cover replacement for 02 Galant 2.4);
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kzP9hII37w
Also, 89bri, how did your "work on my car weekend' go?