PDA

View Full Version : v6 3.5L Installed new distributor cap and plugs and wire... Getting no spark! Why??

clebrowns88
01-13-2013, 01:02 PM
got a 8g w the 6g74. i installed the new cap and plugs and wires, but i checked and its getting no spark from the plugs. where do i go from here, anyone know why im not getting a spark..

Thanks

clebrowns88
01-13-2013, 01:05 PM
also the car does try to start, it just wont turn over, it sounds like she really wants to fire up but wont..

M-Rod
01-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Did you check the coil in the distributor?

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u215/Rodrigoflip/TGC/coilcheckv6_zpsc6005286.jpg

clebrowns88
01-13-2013, 01:37 PM
not yet, im about to go pull off the intake so i can take it off a lil easier. i just read a how to on you tube, let me check it then ill get back with ya. its the spring im trying to get spark from? and my old cap was pretty worn, the little metal connectors on the inside.. and the cap must have been old cuz its a diff style than the one advance sold me..

thanks m-rod. hopin this gets the car to open up a little bit finally, its been choking and sputtering for the past year since i bought it from jmath, and i dunno who he had put in the motor but the wiring harness is a mess. schwag job but it works.. lol

clebrowns88
01-13-2013, 01:39 PM
also, i need someone else to be turning the key while im checking out the coil right or is there a way for me todo this by myself? thakns, forgive me, my first car ive worked on by myself.. trying to learn some stuff

M-Rod
01-13-2013, 02:05 PM
As far as I remember jmath installed it himself and the wiring never looked good to me in pictures. There were many things that were altered that didn't need to be.

What you are checking for in the coil is not power, but resistance between pins 1 and 2 on the distributor where the 7-wire harness connects (for the primary resistance). As far as the secondary resistance, you will check the resistance between pin 1 and the high voltage terminal which is what sends power to the rotor. You don't need anybody turning the key. In fact, you don't even need the ignition on. All you are checking is the distributor itself.

clebrowns88
01-13-2013, 04:11 PM
great, so i got the reading from the distributor - .08ohm - haynes manual says it should be between .05-.07ohm. what u think from this point? I tried to check secondary resistance but i couldnt get a reading from anywhere. i think i found the high voltage terminal but i dont know. it says its on top of the cap, are the talking of the little carbon piece in the center of the cap on the inside?? thanks again

Does anyone have diagram for the fuse boxes in a 99 galant? tahks

6g74 Distributor cap doesent have a seal or gasket right?

clebrowns88
01-13-2013, 04:45 PM
what do you think about it needing a new rotor? coul dit be worn down so much its not even hitting the metal spikes? cuz rotor is spinning, distributor ohms test out fine.... so new rotor?

M-Rod
01-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Your primary coil resistance of 0.8 ohms could be enough for your car not to start. I had an issue 2 years ago where mine was at 0.8 ohms and would not start. I picked up a distributor at the junkyard that tested within factory spec of 0.56-0.68 ohms and the car fired right up.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to install a new cap and rotor while you're at it as well for peace of mind.

clebrowns88
01-13-2013, 10:52 PM
alright, it doesent make any sense y it would have started b4 i did the plugs n wires and cap, and now it wont start, i bought a new distributor rotor and will know if thats the problem soon i guess. if i were to guess, id assume it measured .8 b4 i did all this work to the car but dont know for sure since i didnt test it b4 and now it wont start after hours and hours of work... what a kick in the balls man... jeez..

M-Rod
01-14-2013, 08:31 AM
Which distributor cap and rotor did you get? Because you can use either the 3.0 or 3.5 cap. The rotor needs to be for the same engine size as the cap since there are 2 different rotors that will fit the distributor. Also, I would suggest double and triple checking the wires compared to the firing order just to be absolutely sure the wires are in the correct order.

clebrowns88
01-14-2013, 08:51 AM
i got a 6g74 3.5L rotor and cap

oook, i just checked advanced auto and the 3.0 distributor cap looks just like the one i removed, but... always a but... when i put the old distributor on it wouldnt fire either...

it doesenrt have to be top dead center to just install a cap right?

clebrowns88
01-14-2013, 02:26 PM
ok i took back the 3.5L cap and rotor, and got a 3.0 cap, put it on using old rotor and it gave me no spark still... i guess just throw $15 for the new rotor would be ur suggestion, besides getting a junk yard distributor, cuz junk yard is far. also the 3.0 distributor works on the 3.5's?

thanks, other suggestions are appreciated from other people.

clebrowns88
01-14-2013, 03:44 PM
ok new rotor is in and engine still wont turn over dude... wtf? am i missing something like a fuse or sumthin? i mean do u honestly think the dist. measuring .8 ohm is honestly the problem??

clebrowns88
01-14-2013, 03:46 PM
i am just so fed up with this shit if anyone knows anyone who wants a galant w low miles ands lots of good shit with it, contact me via text 6149400488. im in columbus, ohio

well maybe ill just start a diff post since no one replied to this one, no one will know i want to sell my galant. would b a dime piece for anyone who knows what they are doing with these.

clebrowns88
01-14-2013, 05:19 PM
ok soo... i got the car to fire up... holy cow i wish i had it on video how bad the car is now misfiring and ba bam, bla blau... all that stuff. it warmed up to temp and was still doing it. im almost positive the plugs are on right... the left plugs go to the bottom, middle plugs go to middle and the right plugs go to the top spots on the dist. but it is acting like the plugs are out of order... maybe acting up cuz i cleaned it out (manifold) and it dont like it?

PLEASE ANY HELP IS GRATEFULLY ACCEPTED>>> ANYONE????

clebrowns88
01-14-2013, 05:22 PM
IS THE GALANT 3.0 wiring order different from the diamantes cap order??