PDA

View Full Version : Build thread

02galantes
01-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Hopefully im posting this in the correct place.

Hello all im in need of a new strut and im just going to change all four at once(2002 124k,bought in 2008 at 72k and i havent changed them yet)

Ive learned alot from reading previous post here, and its led me to where I stand right now.

I do understand KYB GR-2's are a good brand/build as well as agx but I might end up getting the Stagg SHS struts. Money wise these will work better off for me and if Stagg honors the lifetime warranty even better. I know many might not agree with this decision but to each his own lol

Now to where i'm stuck, I really want to get a set of springs to go with the new struts( I really like the look but im no where near affording those coilovers near $800+). I've come across these two: Megan Racing Lowering Springs, Tein S-Tech. As far as I know they both look good, but thats all i know. I cant seem to find a way of looking at other members rides like it use to be set up. I've been reading these forums for a while now but this is really the first time i actually contribute. Could anyone send me any pics of what their car looks like with either Megan or Tein springs installed(or any others since they are tons im missing)

As for how I want my car for those wondering, this will be just normal school/work/home car. Nothing fancy, if the combo of Stagg+springs lowers it that will be cool but I don't want anything to low though.

Thanks in advance!!

finald8ta
01-22-2013, 08:22 AM
I just put a set of stagg struts and tein spring on my buddys 3g and it looks great,

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

02galantes
02-04-2013, 10:03 AM
So I decided to go with the Gr-2 + Tein S combo, since i was able to get a decent price at Autozone and they had a promotion where im getting $75 back plus the ability to just go back to the store with the warranty if anything bad happens down the road.

My new setback though is i noticed the top of the radiator right near where the hose from the engine comes to the top of the radiator I see little stress marks building up and on one of them leaks a little drop so I want to fix that before it becomes worse and the car begins to overheat from lack of fluids. At least changing the radiator doesn't look to difficult for this car from a post I found here. I just need to either go with alum+plastic or find a metal radiator

02galantes
02-26-2013, 09:24 AM
I need some help, my car has a loud cracking noise when i accelerate from stopped or i come to a stop. The noise is coming from the front of my car near the right wheel area. It first started last august and has just gotten louder, i recently got my Struts/Shocks and springs changed hoping it was that but no. Also i had all 4 motor mounts changed 2years ago, and the rear motor mount i just got it changed recently again( i thought it was the rear again that was bad) Ill try to record the sound later today but maybe somebody has had this problem before. The noise sounds like somebody twisting an empty bottle of water but louder/ stronger. The mechanic who changed my struts said that my bushings were dry and i should grease them, is this a maintenance ive been neglecting my car? also should i have gotten additional things replaced while the mechanic was down there changing out the shocks/struts like those bushing he said were dry.

I got the car at 72k and below is a list of things i have done. maybe its time for some repairs that i dont know about

78k timing belt and water pump
79k starter
80k 1/4/10 -battery
99k 1/31/11 -4tires
101k 3/17/11 - 4 motor mounts and both belts replaced
102k 3/29/11 - spark plug wires and engine coils
104k 5/5/11 - pcv valve and spark plugs
106k 8/18/11 - replaced rotors+pads
122k 12/6/12 - rear motor mount changed again
126k 2/22/13 - replaced shocks/struts and springs