PDA

View Full Version : Should I?

89bri
02-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Alright so I'm doing a lot (I would say) to my car with my tax money (so far on Rockauto.com with the 5% discount I'm up to $449. I'm wondering if it would be smart for me to change the timing belt and the water pump while I am at it. The day I work on my car it's going to be me, my boyfriend, and a friend of his that works on cars all the time (and my dad will jump in if we should need help but we really shouldn't). I'm just wondering if it would be a smart thing to do while I'm tearing shit apart anyway.

keith6110
02-04-2013, 08:02 PM
If it needs to be done, then do it. No sense in doing it if it doesn't need it though. The power steering pulley is kind of a pain in the ass to get off, but I would definitely do it if it's time.

finald8ta
02-04-2013, 08:31 PM
what exactly are you doing to the car that it cost 400$+

89bri
02-04-2013, 08:54 PM
If it needs to be done, then do it. No sense in doing it if it doesn't need it though. The power steering pulley is kind of a pain in the ass to get off, but I would definitely do it if it's time.

uhm...as far as I know it's never been done. I've never done it on this car and the previous owner didn't really do a whole lot of maintenance on this car. So really how often does it need to be done? And what isn't a pain in the ass with this car?

what exactly are you doing to the car that it cost 400$+

things for a normal tune up (spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, etc), caliper repair kit, new rotors, pads, new thermostat, all sorts of new seals and gaskets that I need, oil filter, transmission filter, I think I have some other stuff to but I can't remember right now and I'm not about to look.

I'll check for replies when I get back from the store

Black8GV6
02-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Go ahead and do it, $450 in car maintenance now is cheaper than spending alot of $$$ later to fix something that broke. I'm doing the same thing, I'm making a list of everything I need to get at rockauto and my total $ is up there too.

Edit: for rotors and pads check out the TGC vendor R1 Concepts

Dominicano
02-04-2013, 10:51 PM
transmission filter? I don't think we have those. If your brakes are working you can skip the rebuild of the calipers, but for peace of mind calipers are 40 bucks a piece and i don't see why you would not be able to find a set here with so many peeps with brembo. and if you are changing the transmission fluid only get mitsu fluid for that.

89bri
02-04-2013, 11:59 PM
Go ahead and do it, $450 in car maintenance now is cheaper than spending alot of $$$ later to fix something that broke. I'm doing the same thing, I'm making a list of everything I need to get at rockauto and my total $ is up there too.

Edit: for rotors and pads check out the TGC vendor R1 Concepts

Yeah I'm super excited to get all of this stuff done to my car and hear how she runs.

transmission filter? I don't think we have those. If your brakes are working you can skip the rebuild of the calipers, but for peace of mind calipers are 40 bucks a piece and i don't see why you would not be able to find a set here with so many peeps with brembo. and if you are changing the transmission fluid only get mitsu fluid for that.

I guess some of the filters are in-line and some are spin on, I'm just so lucky that mine is spin on so I can just change it myself. And I'm rebuilding the calipers up front because there is some issues with my front brakes so I'm thinking now I might be having an issue with frozen calipers. I'm going to try to rebuild them first since it's so cheap and it isn't that difficult and see if that helps with my brake issue. That's also why I'm not going with upgraded rotors and pads right now and I'm keeping it simple with those. No sense in wasting money on nice rotors and pads if they just get chewed up right away because of other issues if this doesn't fix it. But I am optimistic that this will fix it.

Reelax
02-05-2013, 01:26 AM
Timing belt should b replaced every 60,000 miles. If it hasn't been changed and you are over 60,000 miles, do it ASAP; if it fails while the engine is on, you will be looking at a few hundred to a few thousand to repair the engine. People replace the water pump at the same time because it is convenient during the timing belt replacement process.

89bri
02-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Timing belt should b replaced every 60,000 miles. If it hasn't been changed and you are over 60,000 miles, do it ASAP; if it fails while the engine is on, you will be looking at a few hundred to a few thousand to repair the engine. People replace the water pump at the same time because it is convenient during the timing belt replacement process.

Yeah my car has over 140,000 miles on it and as far as I know it's never been changed so I'm doing it as a soon as I can lol.

wetamup2k3g
02-05-2013, 05:26 PM
You have a spin-on transmission filter? Are you sure of this? If so you may have a replacement transmission from an earlier-model-year Galant, because I know from 2001-on there's no transmission filter, but the earlier model years had them, and the Haynes manual has a picture of what that filter looks like installed. Neither my 2003 ES 4-cyl or my current 2001 GTZ had/has a filter. You can see where its housing was cast into the body of the trans, but it's plugged off.

cburch427
02-05-2013, 09:51 PM
The auto trans that we have in our 8 gen galants all have a transmission filter, its behind the front trans pan. Changing the filter out is a verrrry easy task, just a 10mm wrench/socket and ratchet for the pan itself and a 16mm or a 17mm for the side drain plug, along with a bucket and you can pull it out and change it an hours tops.

89bri
02-06-2013, 10:31 PM
You have a spin-on transmission filter? Are you sure of this? If so you may have a replacement transmission from an earlier-model-year Galant, because I know from 2001-on there's no transmission filter, but the earlier model years had them, and the Haynes manual has a picture of what that filter looks like installed. Neither my 2003 ES 4-cyl or my current 2001 GTZ had/has a filter. You can see where its housing was cast into the body of the trans, but it's plugged off.

Yeah mine has a spin-on (and yes I have seen it lol). It might be a replacement, who knows. Mines a 2002 ES V6.

tamim13
02-06-2013, 11:37 PM
That's weird, because for the 2002 ES v6, there is no spin on filter, unless someone has just bolted one on for the heck of it. Take a look here -

https://www.oemmitsubishiparts.com/parts/2002/MITSUBISHI/GALANT/?siteid=214331&vehicleid=1387942&diagram=6241200&diagramCallOut=4

I don't have access to the system, but a dealership should be able to look it up with your VIN to be sure.

It would be cheaper to get your timing belt kit from one of the vendors who sell on eBay. I've just heard that the v6 timing belt is a lot more difficult to do?

I've bought kits from these guys before -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Timing-Belt-Kit-Mitsubishi-Galant-2001-2002-2003-V6-/360564297042?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AGalant&hash=item53f34e8d52&vxp=mtr

greddy
02-07-2013, 12:42 AM
My 99.4.cylinder had a.spin.on

oakrdrs187
02-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Both my 99 got dem spin on shiz.

I haven't seen another G with it since...

89bri
02-07-2013, 11:45 AM
That's weird, because for the 2002 ES v6, there is no spin on filter, unless someone has just bolted one on for the heck of it. Take a look here -

https://www.oemmitsubishiparts.com/parts/2002/MITSUBISHI/GALANT/?siteid=214331&vehicleid=1387942&diagram=6241200&diagramCallOut=4

I don't have access to the system, but a dealership should be able to look it up with your VIN to be sure.

It would be cheaper to get your timing belt kit from one of the vendors who sell on eBay. I've just heard that the v6 timing belt is a lot more difficult to do?

I've bought kits from these guys before -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Timing-Belt-Kit-Mitsubishi-Galant-2001-2002-2003-V6-/360564297042?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AGalant&hash=item53f34e8d52&vxp=mtr

I would take a picture of it if it wasn't raining and there wasn't snow/ice on the ground outside lol. Like it was said before, it might not be the original transmission that was on the car to begin with.

I've looked it over (I'll only be the assistant on this part lol) and it does seem like it might be a bitch, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do and I would rather replace it now when nothing is wrong, then later down the road when something messes up and it costs a lot more to fix when it could have been prevented. And I'll check those guys out, thanks

M-Rod
02-07-2013, 04:31 PM
When replacing the timing belt, don't cheap out. Only use Gates or ContiTech(OEM). It's not something you want to take chances on over just a few dollars. Also, make sure you get a new hydraulic tensioner.

It's really not that big of a job. It just requires you to pay attention to detail. And if nobody with you has done this on a 6G72 before, make sure they remember where everything goes that is disassembled to gain access to the belt.