PDA

View Full Version : LSx swap?

NCamiolo
02-08-2013, 09:38 PM
Since I'm moving to Florida from Jersey and there will be an autocross thing happening one town over I'm going to make my G a little more aggressive. I had planned on doing an engine swap for a 74 or 75, but I've been thinking a bit to much lately. Am I the only one that thinks an LS2/3 swap would be epic?

I understand that there would be a shit ton of work and fabrication involved, as well as money. It would be a timely job, and one that I would have to find a good shop to work with. I've been around Vettes forever and would love to instill that love into the G.

If all else fails, a 6g75 swap is inevitable. Just looking for anyone else's thoughts, opinions, or ideas. Before it comes up, I'm fine putting a lot of money into this, no I don't want to just buy a car with an LS already in it. There is a sentimental value as this is the first car I've ever owned and plan on keeping it until it falls apart, and no matter what other cars I own.

polishmafia
02-08-2013, 10:24 PM
LOL no. Go buy yourself a Miata and swap an LSx into it. Its been done, and its much cheaper than putting an LSx into a heavy pig of an 8G.

mrg7243
02-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Tube chassis front end, retunneled, tubbed rear end and you might make it fit

NCamiolo
02-08-2013, 10:37 PM
I see what you're saying polish, but the reason I won't do what you you're saying is because its been done. I would never start buying the stuff either until a fabricator tells me they can definitely make it fit. Everyone could say no and the project will stop there.

As far as weight goes a lot of the car would get stripped down. My other car is a 5900 lb sedan, that's a pig even with a 6.0 V12.

I want to do something different, even if extreme. Like I said, if all else fails I'll go with a bigger 6g. There is also a fwd LS that could be fun...

E_Emerson88
02-09-2013, 12:55 AM
How do you plan to compensate for the Galant being too front heavy?

greddy
02-09-2013, 12:58 AM
it'll fit just fine, you'll have to mod the tunnel of course, but the bay has plenty of space, probably gonna need a custom or heavily modified front subrame, build tranny mounts, use the rear subframe out of an AWD eclipse and find a diff that'll hold up to the power of the lsx motor, you can do it, just gonna be costly with lots of little custom stuff that'll add up.

G-spot
02-09-2013, 08:34 AM
by placing fat chicks in the backseats though it will scrape

NCamiolo
02-09-2013, 11:19 AM

That's the one part that's been on my mind a lot. Any ideas, other than far chicks lol, are appreciated.

NCamiolo
02-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Well as I do more and more reading online, I get more depressed bout the problems with such a project. I need to hope that I make great money after I move and find an equally crazy (yet skilled) fabricator. Worst case scenario, turbo 6g75?!

kylecanthurdle
02-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Well as I do more and more reading online, I get more depressed bout the problems with such a project. I need to hope that I make great money after I move and find an equally crazy (yet skilled) fabricator. Worst case scenario, turbo 6g75?!

turbo 6g75 sounds more plausible than any kind of v8 (transverse or not) in the G. figuring out a way the subframe would work and making a bigger tunnel to make room for the trans would probably be the toughest part. that and the fact it would be a few hundred pounds too heavy up front. although i have been racing circle track modifieds for a few years now, the way we get the weight where we want it is to bolt lead blocks along the frame to get the correct percentages of wedge and front/rear bias. granted the modified engines are just shy of 600hp and a tad over 3500 lbs, thats with a cast iron block too. im sure you can push an LSX over 600 and its even better since its aluminum. would be nice if you can find someone where youre moving because i would love to see a swap like that.

NCamiolo
02-09-2013, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't even care to make that much power. I was considering a junkyard LS build, start with an iron block LQ4 or something similar. I could potentially still use an LS for fwd. There is already a fwd LS out there, the LS4, but I'm sure there would still be a space issue.

I'll probably end up building a reliable, street-able 6g75 and put a lot into the suspension and brakes. Still plan on doing some footwork and talking to some shops. No matter what anyone says, a 4-500hp LSx Galant would be epic!

Palmz
02-09-2013, 03:33 PM
go for it i say.. this game is all about being unique. but since u guys say the g is too front heavy i think if he cleans out the engen bay and puts every thing in the trunk and makes it rwd or 4wd it could work

eclipsh
02-09-2013, 04:12 PM
I've put some thought into a RWD conversion to a DSM/Galant and if I were to do it I'd probably go with a Corvette transmission in the rear of the car. It would probably not take much more fabrication than putting the tranny up front and the weight distribution would be far superior. Plus it would save the hassle of finding a strong rear end for the DSM.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/14/detroit-2008-corvette-zr1-chassis-display/

http://www.corvette.zorly.com/2008/09/transmissions-available-for-new-model.html

It came in the C5 and C6 Vettes and one fast search found a C5 unit for a little over a grand.

I don't know how well the gear ratios would work out but you could probably do something like that with a turbo 6G75/

EDIT: Just checked and both the 4G6x and LSx rotate clockwise if viewed from the front. Not sure about the 6G75. Also, the tranny and rear differential were going for around 1k. An A/T tranny from a C5 was listed on eBay for $600 or so.

NCamiolo
02-09-2013, 04:47 PM
That is some interesting info there. I know with money anything can be done. My biggest concern is whether it can be done safely, and without destroying the stability of the car itself. If I could do a transaxle with a 6speed that seems to be the best route with a front heavy car. Its the amount of chopping that has to be done under the car for the trans, drive shaft, and exhaust that worry me.

eclipsh
02-09-2013, 05:47 PM
That is just it. With the C5-6 tranny the chopping is minimized. If the pictures are any indication you shouldn't have to hack the tunnel at all. You might need a tubular rear subframe or a way to install the whole rear subframe from a 'vette but there is a lot of room in the rear of our cars if you use a fuel cell. Plus the drive shaft for the tranny is inside a housing so you can get the exhaust right up next to it with no fear of rubbing causing damage. The front subframe would have to be redone as well but that will have to happen no matter what.

NCamiolo
02-09-2013, 06:00 PM
I have to say, you are making me feel a lot better about this. At this point I'm thinking the majority of the costs would be in parts instead of labor. Once I get to Florida and the business I'm moving there for is rolling I'm going to have to really start pricing things out and finding a close-ish shop to work with.

eclipsh
02-09-2013, 10:05 PM
Oh no, don't kid yourself. Having a shop custom make a front and rear subframe and getting all this in will cost way more than the transmission and other parts. I could easily see you spending $5k or more on this if you pay someone else to do it all. Still, making the subframes will likely be cheaper and better overall than having the unibody altered. Plus if you get in a wreck you can swap the subframes to a new unibody.

Of course, the best way is to learn how to do as much of it yourself as you can, preferably with the help of some buddies who know what they're doing.

NCamiolo
02-10-2013, 10:33 PM
I would definitely be paying someone else to instal the parts, I would source them, and do the engine work myself. I do know a friend very close to where I'm moving that is a handy guy, but I'm not sure of his welding abilities. I imagine he can since he did a lot of mechanical work for the military while in the service. I have actually sent an email to a Tampa based shop that specializes in swap, turbo builds, and custom work to see if they think they could handle some of the fabrication.

I definitely understand the costs, as I already planned to pay $5k or so for a good engine as it is. I figure I'll spend $7-8k just in the engine, trans, and driveshaft.

Thanks for more input though! I really enjoy getting as much knowledge as I can in the process of figuring out what I will end up actually doing.

unclepaulie
02-11-2013, 01:45 AM
is this hypothetically an east west ls swap or north south?

NCamiolo
02-11-2013, 12:10 PM
is this hypothetically an east west ls swap or north south?

If you mean engine orientation, then I was planning north south. If only there was a clear way to make it an AWD 6 speed.

duh2150
02-11-2013, 12:14 PM
for how much your going to spend... buy a vette.... i wouldnt have that much sentimental value to it, just because its a galant, id totally rather have a vette

mrg7243
02-11-2013, 12:25 PM
If you mean engine orientation, then I was planning north south. If only there was a clear way to make it an AWD 6 speed.

4cl with evo six speed

NCamiolo
02-11-2013, 12:28 PM
4cl with evo six speed

Rather not, someday I want to just get an actual Evo. There was a concept from GM years ago for an AWD LS1 Pontiac Grand Am(or maybe Prix), but I'm not sure if it was manual or not.

Black8GV6
02-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Try to find a wrecked Trailblazer SS AWD, bam, got everthing you need

NCamiolo
02-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Try to find a wrecked Trailblazer SS AWD, bam, got everthing you need

Did they come with a manual trans? And thinking about it, that would still cause a very front heavy problem.

polishmafia
02-11-2013, 09:37 PM
If only there was a clear way to make it an AWD 6 speed.

Goat transmission + Trailblazer AWD. There is a clear way to do it, if you have the time and money.

NCamiolo
02-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Goat transmission + Trailblazer AWD. There is a clear way to do it, if you have the time and money.

What cars had that transmission? I'm hesitant in AWD when thinking about weight. I feel using a C5/6 transaxle would help with the weight balance, as well as the amount of cutting into unibody. If things go as planned after the move I won't be too worried about money when the time comes. Just have some other things to spend a lot on first, like engagement ring and hunting for a place to live other than with my parents in a temporary house. Time is going to be my real issue, which is why I want to find a shop to do the fabrication. That way I can work on the motor in my free-time, and then work with them on the rest.

polishmafia
02-12-2013, 04:16 PM
You need to do alot of research to determine what you need to do.

A "goat" is a GTO. Here is a list of cars that came with the LS2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine#LS2

No more spoon feeding from me. Good luck!

Blue8g
02-12-2013, 05:03 PM
lol @ wanting to get 'competitive' in AutoX by doing an LSx into an 8g. That would make you the antithesis of competitive by putting you in some ridiculous class with straight up formula/race cars, etc. in it.

Look into the AutoX group's rule book to find out how to be competitive.

BTW, LSx swaps are lame.

oakrdrs187
02-12-2013, 05:16 PM
BTW, LSx swaps are lame.

Needs moar "2JZ engine no shit!"

Blue8g
02-12-2013, 05:33 PM
LSx into Miatas/S-chassis/RX7's/Porsches/etc. have left me hating that series of engines SO MUCH.

mrg7243
02-12-2013, 06:23 PM
I feel this is all talk and going to go nowhere

oakrdrs187
02-12-2013, 06:54 PM
^^ You are correct sir, much like 18 yr old fanbois do at their local Friday sonic meet. "Dude would it be sick if ....." (in some idiot tone)

Sent from Tapatalk 2 using my Rooted DROID BIONIC on Android ICS

Blue8g
02-12-2013, 08:13 PM
I remember when I was 18. I said I was going to get a Honda and buy cool stuff.

>_>

polishmafia
02-12-2013, 09:27 PM
I remember when I was 18. I said I was going to get a Honda and buy cool stuff.

>_>

I'm still waiting for you to buy cool stuff. ;)

I completely spaced the AutoX comment. Using an 8G with an LSx for auto cross would be ridiculously stupid.

Blue8g
02-12-2013, 09:44 PM
For a Honda, the stuff I've bought is super cool :p

NCamiolo
02-16-2013, 05:56 PM
I respect everyone thoughts, and completely understand where some of you are coming from. I will say that if I ever said I wanted to be "competitive" I was mistaken, simply have a little fun. All in all this project would be one of those "because I can" kinda things. No one has to like it, or think it makes sense. Is it realistic, yes and no. If it can be done safely and the money is there, then its a yes. If I feel that I can not do this safely and want to not throw as much money away, then there will be a 74 or 75 swap in the car's future. For anyone who believes LSx swaps are lame, I will agree they are overused, but there is a reason. They are a reliable source of displacement and power. I myself had the dream of an LSx swap into an RX7 at one point, but my dilemma is that it isn't unique yet. The whole point to this project would be to create a unique car that get from A to B, has reliable power, and sounds and looks good doing it.

And polish, thanks for the clarification, I do know what the GTO/Goat means, but your wording suggested a trans with the "goat" nickname. IIRC, the GTO uses a Tremec trans directly mounted to the engine. That would cause more weight problems than the Vette transaxle with torque tube.

Again, thanks for info and pointers, but if you want to be dicks, please give me some courtesy and do it elsewhere. Let's not shit on every dreamer's ideas and hopes.

millerlite2224
03-24-2013, 11:53 PM
well u could always go with a drag race set up make a tube chassis and aluminum floor and just take ur galant body and set it on the tube chassis. that way everything is still set up right but ur body is still the galant

master_visionary
03-25-2013, 12:15 AM
^ now that woud be epic

for inspiration samman put a 2jz in an 8tg gen ...where there's a will there's a way