PDA

View Full Version : 2001 galant misfire again

thegalant
08-27-2013, 06:43 PM
I had bad tube seals and valve cover gasket which fouled out the old plugs, I replaced them and used rinzosil silicone to seal the tube seals to the valve cover, and I replaced the spark plugs. The misfire condition was gone for about 3 days and then it returned. Since then I have not been able to identify why. Car runs good with the negative battery cable unhooked. Listened to injectors with big screwdriver, they click steady. Car puts out 12.5 volts with all accessories on. Runs at 14.5 when driving. Idle is good without misfire, but quick acceleration = misfire every time, also moderate acceleration = misfire, occasionally you can accelerate slow without misfire, but any accessories or hills = immediate misfire.

New valve cover gasket
new tube seals with silicone
New NGK R plugs BKR5ES-11
Misfire gone immediately after but 3 days later returned.

Video links included: Hopefully that helps.
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0dv-ISMn9I

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIaf29nHwgA

thegalant
08-27-2013, 08:13 PM
I checked all my plug wires and both Coil Packs, I noticed that I can see the springs in my coil packs, they do not have the metal shroud pieces that go over the top of the spark plugs! Can some one do a quick check for me and let me know if it is supposed to be that way??? I'm 95% sure that there is a metal shroud piece missing from both my coil packs. My other 2 spark plug boots have this metal piece in them that meets over the top of the spark plug I will try to take a picture and have it up soon, I can see some white marks on the bottom of the coil boots where the spark may be fouling out.

thegalant
08-27-2013, 08:32 PM
I made a discovery. Both coil boots are missing the metal piece that goes between the spring and the top of the spark plug. The other two boots that have wires on them (not the coil boots) both have that metal piece in them. It is like an insert. Well. I have found replacement ones on ebay that are not the same but are intended for plugging to the top of spark plugs. New coil boots are like 13 bucks from ebay. Got the little metal things for 4 bucks, hope that fixes it, like I said after the new tube seal/valve cover gasket and plugs the misfire stopped for 3 days and returned.

stonent
11-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Different coils have different spring setups. I've seen a metal rod that went down on the plug with a spring going to the coil, I've seen just a spring, and I've seen a spring with a metal piece on the plug. All the misfires that I've ever had on the 2002 that my wife had and now is my moms were fixed by replacing the whole coil and I've had to replace each coil twice in the past 5 years. They were just unbranded chinese coils from ebay. One coil developed a hole and was arcing to the valve cover.