PDA

View Full Version : GTZ vs. Non-GTZ suspension

dza
04-29-2003, 09:38 AM
I have done a search, results were irrelevant https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Correct me if I am wrong, but the difference in the two suspensions are that the GTZ shares the eclipse suspension. Hence, a more even ride height from front to back as the other models have a larger wheel gap up front.

At least from what I have found, the springs and shocks available for the GTZ and non-GTZ are the same. Is that right?

Question: If you take an ES and a GTZ stock, the GTZ is obviously lower. If you throw the same spring kit and same shocks on both cars, would they now be equal?

My buddy has an ES with 18's and the Eibach 1.4 springs with KYB AGX's and the front wheel gap is still considerably greater than the rear. How would it be on the GTZ?

I am trying to figure out how things will turn out if I do not lower my GTZ and throw some 18's or 19's on. I can't lower it for another 28k miles b/c I am not going to void my tranny warranty (I'm not too excited about "too much extra stress on the tranny" from mitsubishi)

Will I look like an SUV without lowering it?

00GTZ00
04-29-2003, 09:48 AM
Well I just lowered my GTZ with the pro kit and now I have about 2-2.5 finger widths up front and in the rear. But I have the stock wheels on my car. Hope this helps!

dza
04-29-2003, 09:58 AM
thanks, but i am more interested in wheel gap on stock height on 18's or 19's

Auto-9
04-29-2003, 10:50 AM
The fender gap will not change much regardless of which size wheels you're running, as the overall diameter remains within +/-3% of the 25 inch OE diameter. So if you don't lower your car...you might not get the SUV look, but you may end up looking like a non-GTZ Galant. According to the Tirerack they say that more than 4 inches between wheel and fender = lifted look. I dunno how they came up with that.

dza
04-29-2003, 10:54 AM
I reckon i'll just spend some money on the venge instead then.

Andoy
05-08-2003, 11:06 AM
H & R tells me that their sport Springs only work for the 6cyl. not the four cylinder, that it's because the two cars have different weights ... odd since everyone's been saying that the same springs are interchangable for the 4 or 6!

Also, first time I heard that lowing the car voids the tranny warranty ... is that true?

dza
05-08-2003, 11:09 AM
about the warranty, probably not... found that out yesterday b/c of the Magnuson Warranty Law https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Andoy
05-08-2003, 11:19 AM
Good to hear, I don't think there's anything about the Galant tranny that's unusual or different than any other car ...

hsinya
05-08-2003, 08:49 PM
the springs between the i4 and the v6 are interchangable because of fitment, it doesn't neccessarily mean they're the same. remember the v6 is heavier than the i4, so the load on the springs are different. you have to take into account that eibach and h&r designed those springs based on the weight of the v6.

so in short, yes they will fit, but the ride quality felt between the i4 and the v6 will be slightly different because of the spring rate

Andoy
05-09-2003, 12:19 PM
That's right ... H&R, though, told me not to use their springs at all ! with the 4 since it would not position at the same ride height as the 6 ...
Other springs (Tein, Progress, etc). sell them interchangably ..

GaLaNtKeV99
05-09-2003, 12:33 PM
the springs between the i4 and the v6 are interchangable because of fitment, it doesn't neccessarily mean they're the same. remember the v6 is heavier than the i4, so the load on the springs are different. you have to take into account that eibach and h&r designed those springs based on the weight of the v6.

so in short, yes they will fit, but the ride quality felt between the i4 and the v6 will be slightly different because of the spring rate

This is exactly it. Its the weight, i bought my Progress b/c they give the biggest drop (w/o cutting anty coils), than any other springs for my I4.

With the same Progress Springs:

I4 - Its a 2in drop in front and 1.8 in back

Also keep in mind the GTZ is a higher end model so obviously it may have a better suspension, in general the car is a better ride.
v6 - Its 2.2 in drop in front and a 1.8 in back

Auto-9
05-09-2003, 02:47 PM
Also keep in mind the GTZ is a higher end model so obviously it may have a better suspension, in general the car is a better ride.

It gives a firmer ride of course. The GTZ differences are different shocks, springs, control arm is aluminum, stabilizer bars, and maybe the bushings...though I'm not certain on that last part.

Andoy
05-12-2003, 01:27 PM
I am told I'd get a lot better handling out of my I4 ES with a rear stablizer bar. So far all I've done is upgrade to 17" rims with Z rated tires. Do not want to install new springs yet. Anyone have any idea or experience on the sway bars? I see that Norcal Perfomance just came out with one ...

Galant_01
05-14-2003, 09:52 PM
OK the difference in the GTZ and other V6 models are really only 2 things. First the shocks are "supposedly" (check replacement part #'s and see if they are not exactly the same ones! I did!) valved different giving a firmer ride & a .5 inch lower ride height, and the rear "torsion" bar is I think 1 inches bigger in diameter and the front on is 1 inch smaller that the other V6's. Other that that there really is not any difference in the suspension setup.

<span style='color:red'>Quoted from Mitsucars.com

Stabilizer Bar (mm., front/rear): (V6-ES,LS)17.0/18.0 (GTZ)16.0/19.0

Ride Height (in.): (V6-ES,LS)55.7 (GTZ)55.3 </span>

Auto-9
05-14-2003, 11:43 PM
[quote=Galant_01]OK the difference in the GTZ and other V6 models are really only 2 things. First the shocks are "supposedly" (check replacement part #'s and see if they are not exactly the same ones! I did!) valved different giving a firmer ride & a .5 inch lower ride height, and the rear "torsion" bar is I think 1 inches bigger in diameter and the front on is 1 inch smaller that the other V6's. Other that that there really is not any difference in the suspension setup.

<span style='color:red'>Quoted from Mitsucars.com

Stabilizer Bar (mm., front/rear): (V6-ES,LS)17.0/18.0 (GTZ)16.0/19.0

Ride Height (in.): (V6-ES,LS)55.7 (GTZ)55.3 </span>

Just read my post above yours for the full details https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif After having converted an ES V6 to GTZ suspension I saw it all...oh the horrors. I also think you meant to say one millimeter smaller/bigger front/rear rather than one inch...cause that'd be one thick stabilizer bar.

2002-GeeTeeZee
05-19-2003, 05:21 PM
From Mitsu's website, same was for 2002:

"2003 Galant GTZ
Comes standard with V6 power - firmer shock absorber valving and higher spring rates - larger rear stabilizer bar - color-keyed grille - leather seating surfaces - security alarm system - heated sideview mirrors - 210-watt Mitsubishi/Infinity® Premium audio system. "

Stabilizer Bar (mm., front/rear): (ESV6)17.0/18.0 (LSV6)17.0/18.0 (GTZ)16.0/19.0

Curb Weight (lbs.): 3031 3075 3108 3252 3274 3296
...............................DE......ES.....LS.. .ESV6..LSV6...GTZ

Oh hell I'll just give you the weblink:
http://www.mitsubishicars.com/galant/specs.html ('http://www.mitsubishicars.com/galant/specs.html')

One point about the weight, the back half of the cars are identical, that means that all the difference is in the front

Auto-9
05-19-2003, 11:23 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2002-GeeTeeZee)</div><div class='quotemain'>From Mitsu's website, same was for 2002:

One point about the weight, the back half of the cars are identical, that means that all the difference is in the front</div>

You're right. The GTZ uses aluminum, to save weight and increase strength. Instead of investigating engine swap possibilities I spent 3 weeks looking over every difference between the GTZ and its lesser handling bretheren. I'm not an expert, but I know most of the differences give or take an error or two.

mochanges
05-20-2003, 12:02 PM
Wait, the control arm is aluminum on the GTZ? Where is this coming from? I would be really surprised if it was.

-Mohammad

Auto-9
05-20-2003, 12:42 PM
Wait, the control arm is aluminum on the GTZ? Where is this coming from? I would be really surprised if it was.

-Mohammad

3 sources my friend:

1. Manybrews
2. Mitsubishi Parts
3. Look at them yourself if you can find a GTZ specimen. It's silver rather than black (like the Evo arms).

Also, the parts department differentiates between GTZ and non-GTZ front suspension crossmember, but I have yet to find a difference between the two. It is possible that is an additional difference. But I think we can all agree a GTZ is an Eclipse with a Galant body.

mochanges
05-20-2003, 06:52 PM
Well, I had no idea. Any idea on prices for the different parts? I used to use Mag Auto to look up parts, but their new system doesn't differentiate between GTZ and non-GTZ models. Unless these different parts didn't start until later? Any ideas one what years the parts are different for?

-Mohammad

EDIT: I just looked at magauto again. They didn't differentiate between the suspension on the 99 models, but they did on the 00-03 models. Very interesting. I am guessing that the GTZ specific control arms from 00-03 will fit a 99, but not sure.

BUSHINGS: Magauto DOES differentiate ebtween the GTZ and non-GTZs with the front lower control arm bushings. There is another difference that is not there for the 99s.

SWAYBARS: We all knew this, but the 99 sways are the same between the GTZ and non-GTZ. Only on 2000 and up are they different.

Summary: Well, it looks like those with 99 GTZs have suspensions that aren't nearly as different from the other models as those with 2000 and up GTZs. If someone is trying to decide between a stock 99 or 2000 and up GTZ, the later models are better. I'm happy b/c I have the ST swaybar, but I don't have the nicer control arms and bushings. The prices are actually pretty cheap for the control arms, about 90 bucks each. For bushings, the best way to go would be Energy Suspension.

Nice find, Parhelia.

-Mohammad

Auto-9
05-20-2003, 09:27 PM
Nice find, Parhelia.

Indeed...and that's exactly what I did when I swapped out the parts on my car. Just ask Gilhuly or however you spell that fellow's name. I used bushings from Energy Suspension, stabilizer bars from GTZ/Eclipse, the front strut tower bar from the Eclipse, control arms from the GTZ/Eclipse, H&R springs, KYB AGX struts/shocks, Deyeme Racing motor mounts. Sometimes...it's just better to go with OEM https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

mochanges
05-20-2003, 10:31 PM
How hard was it to install the bushings? Did you have someone put them on for you, or did you do it yourself?

-Mohammad

Auto-9
05-20-2003, 11:23 PM
How hard was it to install the bushings? Did you have someone put them on for you, or did you do it yourself?

-Mohammad

Jimmy Perez (the Mitsubishi tech in my photo album) did it for free, so I wouldn't know sorry. Heck he installed everything for free.