View Full Version : 5 Codes -- Help?

MisterDeadeye
11-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Alright, I've posted about my car before, it's been having issues for three years. I had stopped driving it until recently, full time job requires me to drive 60 miles a day.

Anyway, the car takes a while to start. I can hear the fan start to spin up but it will stall out three or four times before finally starting. Acceleration is hesitant, I can hold the accelerator down in position and the car will not respond for seconds at a time. When it does, it jolts around and RPMs will go back and forth until I get up to speed where things die down. This went on for a few days. The other day I was cruising at highway speed(~60mph here) with cruise on, and the car stopped responding again. It got down to about 45 when I turned the cruise off and got the car to respond again.

Idle is rough when decelerating quickly, sometimes dropping under 500RPMs, sometimes stalling entirely. For this reason I had been braking harder than normal and giving the car more gas than normal when using turns and at stop signs. This seemed to cut down on the issues.

When I got the car home last week, I noticed that what I assumed to be a misfire during acceleration had now permeated into idle. The car sat around 700RPM, dropping down to 500 at an almost regular basis. That's when I decided to keep it parked until I got the issue fixed.

Fast forward to today. I got the USB OTG cable I ordered to use my OBD II tool, and hooked it up to find 5 codes(two of which I had a year ago when I got the codes checked at the Mitsu dealer). They are:

P0171
P0174
P0455
P0403
And a pending P0302.

Some more info: I had the fuel pump replaced about 30k miles ago and for a while I would smell gas when I filled up the car. The smell originated from under the backseat. I assumed the cover was just missing the gasket, and that the gas smell near the pump was normal.

I used to be able to hear air expel from the gas cap when I went to fuel the almost empty tank, and occasionally the nozzle would stop itself as if the tank was full. This hasn't happened for a while, however.

When I had the car at the dealership, they said that the purge solenoid(valve, whatever it technically is) was bad and that it needed to be replaced. They also said that the ECM was probably bad, a meer $2500 fix that they were more than happy to do. Weird because they didn't get in the front seat at all when they inspected the car, let alone took apart the dash and inspected the connections on the ECM.

I replaced the purge solenoid shortly after they suggested it, cleared the codes, and now a year later here I am.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

tamim13
11-03-2013, 03:05 PM
How many miles do you have on your car?

When you replaced the solenoid, did you replace the vapor canister (under the tank) or the solenoid under the hood? When I had the gas escaping sound when opening the gas cap, and P0455 on and off, I replaced the vapor canister and the solenoid. I'm attaching a picture of what I had replaced. That got rid of P0455.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-PBReqhS0u0M/Una6GPSzsXI/AAAAAAAAAqQ/iZosFHc0RSA/s640/2013-05-11-078.jpg