PDA

View Full Version : Loud banging, stalled, now won't idle 2002 4g64

stonent
11-29-2013, 07:27 PM
I'm going off the description that my mom gave me. She was on the highway going about 45 and suddenly said there was a banging noise and it stalled. We got it started again but it will no longer idle, it just bounces around under 1000 for a few seconds and dies. If you hold it at around 2000 it will stay running and we were able to get it home. There is a clunking sound I keep hearing when the engine is running at a lower speed.

The car for a while has had an oil leak with about a quart a week habit and it was low enough that the dipstick wasn't showing the level. Which usually means about 2 quarts low. The car has the normal rattling lash adjusters and usually they get much louder when the oil is more than a quart low and she'll have me put more oil in.

Initially from the banging I thought maybe a broken rod or bearing cap but I put some metal rods down the plug holes today and they go up and down with 1 and 4 matched and 2 and 3 matched just like the coil configuration would indicate.

We had to drive the car about 20 minutes to get it home and she said that the noise was much better at higher speeds. When she pulled in to the apartment I could hear the noise.

Thoughts?

I have only been able to look at it at night so haven't done a whole lot of looking. There are no dents in the oil pan. So my thoughts were, broken oil pump, snapped balance shaft belt, or a spun bearing. The car has 235,000 miles on it. Most everything is original except radiator, belts, PS Pump (normal items like plugs and filters have been changed of course). The timing belt was changed about 2 months ago. I didn't plan on it but was investigating the oil leak and didn't know to take the bolts off the main pulley and slid the timing gear off. I changed the belt because it was just as easy to do so at that point (having never changed a belt in my life, prior)

stonent
11-30-2013, 07:05 PM
Started this morning and it sounded better. Revved up so about 2500 and it stopped with a cloud of smoke. Connecting rod sticking out a 1/4 inch from the block. Guess that solves the mystery.

Black8GV6
11-30-2013, 08:01 PM
Engine swap and 5 speed swap time!

wetamup2k3g
12-01-2013, 08:03 AM
Damn, engine said "fuck it" and rods decided to make a break for daylight. I hear the 4-cyl isn't too bad to swap out. Good luck if you decide on keeping her going, but she lived a full life if you decide not to.

stonent
12-03-2013, 02:29 AM
Damn, engine said "fuck it" and rods decided to make a break for daylight. I hear the 4-cyl isn't too bad to swap out. Good luck if you decide on keeping her going, but she lived a full life if you decide not to.

Nah, the car had been passed on from my wife to my mom when my wife bought an Outlander Sport and my mom's 93 Civic snapped a timing belt and it's currently sitting at my apartment... dripping...

It got rear-ended last year so the trunk is pushed in.

Here's the damage. Right next to the exhaust manifold.

http://i.imgur.com/eUcYdGM.jpg

It's going to take me a while to find the title so I can't sell it outright yet, if anyone's within driving distance of the University of North Texas area and you want to pick some parts, make me an offer.

2002 4g64 2.4 automatic. exterior is the darker grey, interior is grey.

I'll repost it as a separate for parts listing.

stonent
12-04-2013, 09:55 PM
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?53283-2002-sohc-4g64-auto-grey-grey-part-out-(North-Texas-area)

Part out in case anyone's interested. There's a video walkaround.