PDA

View Full Version : 4 codes cant post pics

crashfirepm53
01-08-2014, 10:24 AM
My car has some issues listed below. I was looking for vacuum leaks and I saw that on the air intake rear, pointing towards the firewall and real close to the throttle body there appears to have been a plastic nipple previously possibly for a vacuum line??? Its broken off. I don't see any loose hoses nearby. Anyone recognize this and where it connects too??
I have pics but it won't let me post here.

My 6cyl Galant started having issues idling and starting when the weather turned cold. I have to press the gas pedal for a couple minutes or it won't start or idle.Once it warms up it idles and drives fine. I tried adjusting the idle on the throttle body which helped for a short duration. Ultimately I replaced the throttle position sensor but that had no effect. Replaced both rear bank O2 sensors. Car does have a smell of gas possibly from the exhaust that smells rich??
Current codes
P0171-too lean 1-4 cylinders
PO134-cyl 1-4 front O2 sensor no activity detected
P0507-Idle control system RPM higher than expected.
P0300-Random cyl misfire

I was looking for vacuum leaks and I saw that on the air intake rear close to the throttle body there appears to have been a plastic nipple previously possibly for a vacuum line???? I don't see any loose hoses nearby. Anyone reconize this in the pics?

Any ideas?

crashfirepm53
01-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Does anyone ever come here??

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Black8GV6
01-10-2014, 11:55 PM
Are you talking about this:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2dv91cx.jpg

if it fell off just do what Greg did:

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k525/wetamup2011/dae9923c.jpg

Black8GV6
01-11-2014, 12:05 AM
IIRC on the V6 the O2 sensor on the manifold closest to the radiator is the one the PCM relies on the most for info, from your post you replaced the rear two O2 sensors, I would try to replace the one closest to the radiator on the exhaust manifold, you can't miss it, open the hood and you can see it. Unplug the battery first before you unplug a sensor, plus with the battery unplugged the PCM can reset itself.

Never touch that BISS screw, it's always something else that needs to be fixed first.

dknight3
01-11-2014, 11:05 AM
change the idle back to where it was, fix all your vacuum leaks and replace the front oxygen sensor like Black8GV6 (https://www.thegalantcenter.org/member.php?17069-Black8GV6) said.

crashfirepm53
01-11-2014, 11:22 AM
Are you talking about this:

if it fell off just do what Greg did:
In the pic a vacuum line runs from the valve cover to the rear of the intake hose. I assume this is the 4 cylinder. On my 6 cylinder, the vacuum line runs from the intake manifold by the throttle body to the large intake hose about about mid point. There is a nipple on the rear of the large intake as pictured but it is broken off on mine and I have no idea to what it connects to.

wetamup2k3g
01-11-2014, 05:04 PM
OK, I think what's going on is what Kyle (Black8GV6) is talking about, your resonator fell off, leaving a hole on the back of your intake right at the bend, right? Well the two intake pipes for the 4 and 6 cylinder are the same, just modified for the vacuum lines. If the one vacuum line on your V6 before the bend is there and connected to your rear valve cover, then the only other thing it could be is your resonator has fallen off, creating a massive vacuum leak and the possible cause of all your issues (save for the o2 sensor code, that's not related). Check these pictures:

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k525/wetamup2011/v6-intake-stock_zps4e95dbf1.jpg

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k525/wetamup2011/4-cyl-intake_zps5a46db8d.jpg

See the resonator is in the same place for both 4-cyl and V6, but the vacuum lines are not. If that box is not hanging off your intake like in that last picture right at the bend, it's fallen off. I had hell trying to put it back on, gave up after a couple minutes and electrical taped the pipe by running the tape over the circumference of the pipe, thoroughly covering the hole, as is shown in this picture Kyle posted from back when I did it (I don't even remember what thread I posted it in, good memory/searching there bro) and annotations added to make it clearer:

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k525/wetamup2011/v6-intake-taped-up_zps6611d6bb.jpg

Hope this helps. As for pictures, take 'em, save 'em to computer, go to photobucket.com and create an account, use the brackets around the picture's URL like so:

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k525/wetamup2011/v6-intake-taped-up_zps6611d6bb.jpg

and you'll get a picture on here. Good luck!

crashfirepm53
01-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Pic one. The resonator is on my intake correctly. Vacuum line as shown in pic one is also correct. Pic 2. The rear nipple labled is broken off on my air intake. The line in the pic shows it is connected to a pcv valve on the front valve cover. On mine there is no pcv on my front valve cover nor any vacuum hoses not connected anywhere.
Ill look tomorrow on the back of the intake to see if there is a loose vacuum line anywhere.

oakrdrs187
01-11-2014, 07:42 PM
^^^why do you post pictures of multiple angles and locations.

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

wetamup2k3g
01-11-2014, 08:17 PM
I just went back out there and looked at mine, and that nipple on the back of the intake is blocked off on the V6, nothing goes there, it's just a stub. The ONLY nipple is on the straight part before the bend, connected to the rear valve cover, as you said is still there. So unless your stub is broken off, I have no clue what you are missing. Times like these, pictures really do help. If you have any questions about posting pics, let us know, because we need 'em from you to see what's going on.

BTW, in pic #2 above on the 4-cyl, that's just a breather port on the front valve cover, the actual PCV valve is at the top of that picture on the passenger side of the engine bay attached to that other hose on the valve cover. That hose goes straight to the plenum downstream of the throttle and can be found on the passenger side of the front valve cover on the V6, going straight into the lower manifold.

DEADEYES
01-11-2014, 08:21 PM
Pic one. The resonator is on my intake correctly. Vacuum line as shown in pic one is also correct. Pic 2. The rear nipple labled is broken off on my air intake. The line in the pic shows it is connected to a pcv valve on the front valve cover. On mine there is no pcv on my front valve cover nor any vacuum hoses not connected anywhere.
Ill look tomorrow on the back of the intake to see if there is a loose vacuum line anywhere.

Pic 2 is of a 4cyl galant.
Like wetamup was saying that back nipple is only for the 4cyl models. Since you have the v6 just tape it off like Greg did with his resonator if it broke open and it should be could to go.

Unless I am misunderstanding something, that was way too complicated. I thought Greg covered the 2 different locations pretty well, plus the resonator.

But if I'm wrong do post more pictures.