PDA

View Full Version : oil light flicker

tanpan
01-10-2014, 06:13 PM
it all started after an oil change. i had amsoil 5w-30 in it before and was unable to find it in my area and needed an oil change so i went with mobil1 5w30 syn blend and it made my oil light flicker at idle. i read around here and changed my oil sending unit as that was the common problem but it still didnt help. i also added the lucas oil stabilizer but nothing. the mechanic said oil pressure is fine and said to run 5w-40 since the car has almost 118k. i did motor flush and changed it back to amsoil 5w-40 and the problem still persists. the mechanic said not to worry because its only an idle thing since the light goes off at higher rpms but it still concerns me and i want to fix it. is it the oil pump going out? If thats the case, wouldn't the light stay on even at higher rpms if the pump is defective? im confused and i really want to fix this problem. any help is appreciated.

OMEGA PHX
01-11-2014, 11:08 PM
Did your mechanic connect a pressure gauge on the engine to check the oil pressure? What was the reading at idle?

I had that once and it was solved with a new sending unit.

Also check that the sending unit is not touching any other wires or lines, check that the new sending unit isn't clogged with dirt or anything.

tanpan
01-12-2014, 10:05 AM
i had to get under the car myself to see what was going on since it started leaking oil and the culprit was bad sending unit. it was leaking where the plastic meets metal and the wire was all soaked in oil hence i believe the light was coming on. i cleaned it all up and put a new switch in and everything is fine now.

wheelsx5
03-08-2015, 09:05 PM
Where abounce is the sending unit? Under the engine? Is it near something? (i.e. oil pan, oil filter, etc)