PDA

View Full Version : Installed new shocks and struts now get a banging noise

154james
02-20-2014, 08:53 AM
as the title says I installed new shocks and struts "kyb- gr2" and kept the original springs. I made sure everything fit perfectly and was torqued per spec. Anything I can check to see what it is? It does it mostly when I hit small dips in the road. Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keith6110
02-21-2014, 08:18 AM
Can you get a video recording? Pics of the installed strut/spring?

eclipsh
02-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Did you put the rubber bump stops on the new shocks? You could be bottoming out. Other possibility is that you didn't get the nut on the top of the shock tight enough. I'd recheck the nuts.

154james
02-22-2014, 01:09 PM
Did you put the rubber bump stops on the new shocks? You could be bottoming out. Other possibility is that you didn't get the nut on the top of the shock tight enough. I'd recheck the nuts.

Hey, do you have a picture of what the bumpers look like? And I checked the nuts with my torque wrench and they were in spec.

154james
02-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Can you get a video recording? Pics of the installed strut/spring?

I'll try and get a video of it but I don't know how well you will hear the noise and do you want a picture from the wheel side or under the hood

troubled4g64t
02-24-2014, 05:52 AM
Also check your sway bar end links I have a broken one and when the car rooms to that side it hits the underbody.

eclipsh
02-25-2014, 07:10 PM
Hey, do you have a picture of what the bumpers look like? And I checked the nuts with my torque wrench and they were in spec.

Don't be afraid of the Google. It won't bite.

http://www.partstrain.com/ShopByDepartment/Bump_Stop/MITSUBISHI/GALANT/1999

It goes on the shock shaft. All four should have one.

154james
02-26-2014, 09:20 PM
I replaced both front sway bar end links because the ones that were on there were shit. I used prostop ones and greased them for shit afterward. I'm thinking about taking it to a shop.

Don't be afraid of the Google. It won't bite.

http://www.partstrain.com/ShopByDepa...HI/GALANT/1999

It goes on the shock shaft. All four should have one.

I reused the old ones that I had on it before and one of them was kind of beat, could it be that?

99galantES
02-27-2014, 05:18 AM
Get new bump stops it could be that