PDA

View Full Version : Automatic transmisssion 2-3 shift issue

GSpeed
03-01-2014, 09:42 AM
Hello all,
Just started experiencing what seems to issue with 2-3 shift (02 Galant ES-V6, automatic, 110,000 miles). While accelerating slowly from a stop, transmission shift fine from 1-2 however, noticed what seems to be slight miss from 2-3. Other than this, it operates fine. I hadn't check fluid level but never had issue with level / leaks. Will confirm and follow up. Came across the following;
"The automatic transmission may develop a 2-3 shift flair. This is commonly caused by an internal fault related to the reverse clutch assembly. Replacement of the rear housing and reverse clutch assembly may be required to correct this concern".
Has any other member experienced the same?
On different note, I find it very easy to reach for something on passenger side floor for example, and hit sifter into neutral in error. If this occurs at highway speed, would it be recommended to pull over and come to full stop before engaging back into drive or can it be moved back into drive at highway speed? I'd think there would have been a safety or lockout to prevent this.

Black8GV6
03-01-2014, 12:11 PM
Mine started having very slow hard shifts into 3rd, had the transmission fluid flushed at race shop that strictly builds automatic transmissions, their price was way cheaper than the mitsu dealer and I figured the shop only builds automatic trans so they know what to do. Problem was fixed for maybe 6 months then problem came back and then the trans died (119,xxx miles) and left me stranded. Never had it looked at by shop, just parked it until I got the parts for the manual trans swap and then swapped to the manual trans. BEST. THING. EVER.

GSpeed
03-15-2014, 06:35 AM
Black8GV6, thanks for the reply and information. Having fluid flushed / changed seems to be good place to start. I try to have mine flushed every year however, have skipped. Will have it done and follow up.
Again, thanks for takingb the time to reply.