PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder 3 Misfire. Need some help...

jmmccoy92
04-25-2014, 07:47 PM
So, here is what's go in on with my 2001 Mitsubishi Galant es 2.4l.
My engine started running hot, all the way hot... I flushed the radiator and engine hoping that would cure my problem. I also changed the spark plugs and wires. It was resolved for about a month, then out of the blue the vehicle redlines hot. So I take it to my buddy and he says I have bad gaskets and water in the oil. It couldn't have been much because I hadn't seen it turn milky but there was oder from the radiator. Now we take the entire head assembly off and take it to a machine shop to see if it was shot. Turns out it had to be shaved, valves are supposedly good and new gaskets all around. Reassembled, we start it up and we hear some ticking, we take it 5 miles and it seems to be working. I get back to the house and the engine starts jumping like its to every stroke of the engine, and it wants to stall out. It seems to jump or misfire after it starts to warm, in drive it knocks real hard until I give it gas. It also knocks when its in park and the a.c. is on. I had it diagnosed at O'Reilly auto for the check engine light and it comes up with P0303 Cylinder 3 misfire. So, I checked and corrected the gaps it the spark plugs, new coil packs and looked for oil around the valve tube seals and tightened the sparks to the designated torque specs. Still having the misfire-jumping issue. Any suggestions?

Black8GV6
04-25-2014, 09:26 PM
probably #3 injector

Voodoo
04-29-2014, 09:49 PM
Moving to 8G Car Problems forum

kylecanthurdle
05-01-2014, 09:58 PM
it is possible they shaved too much off of your cyl head, then the valves hit the piston in cylinder 3 and are losing compression in that cylinder. did they relieve the pressure in the lifters when they reassembled it? did you time it correctly? gotta look into these kinds of issues. obviously it wasnt there before so the problem is probably man made. injectors, coils, spark plugs dont just "go" from not being used for a short period of time.

jmmccoy92
05-02-2014, 09:08 AM
It would have to be reassembled in the vehicle before you relieve the pressure?

kylecanthurdle
05-02-2014, 08:48 PM
It would have to be reassembled in the vehicle before you relieve the pressure?

what they should have done was strip the head bare, resurfaced it, boiled it and reassembled it. while the lifters are out i always relieve the pressure using a paper clip or something similar.