PDA

View Full Version : Sidemarkers?!

2True
08-26-2002, 07:29 PM
Saw some nice ones and was thinking about throwing them on the G. I got a few questions for my peeps here first though.

The ones I found are Functional . Can I install them or do I need a shop to do it?

What would it take, you think, to do it myself? I'll have to cut a hole in my fender right?

And where would these wire to, does the 7g have any wiring (harnesses, fuses, relays) that would support these?

Thanks guys,

Wes

TJC
08-26-2002, 07:38 PM
Yes drilling is probably emminant. If you get the ones that only need a hole for the light bulb, then a round hole is all that is needed. If you get other factory ones, then funky rectangular shapes may need to be cut and that would be a pain. Even the round hole cutout COULD be tricky as bits usually don't run that big and you may need to route it out to the proper diameter. So to sum it up, it can be difficult or easy depending on what you get and whether or not you have the proper tools to do the cutting/routing, etc.

As for wiring, you would either wire them up to your parking lights if you want them on all the time with the parking or wire them to the signal lights if you only want them to blink when turning. To do any other types of lighting like both have them on and blink, you need relays and can get complicated. B/c it's usually a 168 bulb, it's single filament will only let you use it one way.

BTW, after drilling, make sure you paint the edge of the cut with paint so it keeps it from rusting before installing lights.

pinoyesv6
08-26-2002, 08:12 PM
some tips.

make a template of the sidemarker and make sure u have it on the right place b4 u start drilling/cutting

start off with a small drill bit and work ur way up

use a center punch to mark where to start drilling so the bit dones't dance all over your fender

install the sidemarker when the paint is still wet for a better seal

2True
08-26-2002, 11:03 PM
Thanks Allen, and thank you TJC. You guys are most helpful, not everyday TJC answers a 7g question... recognize :wink:

I am gonna go for guys, with those tidbits of info I was looking for, I think I'm gonna DIM. If I mess up I can always buy some cheap fake ones to cover it up, and if it's a real BIG F-up I'll just get a really kewl Decal. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

queball
08-27-2002, 12:43 AM
I put mine in my self and they needed the full whole all i did was buy one of them Roto zip saws them things work great ive used it for cutting speaker holes and all kinds of crap, im using it right now to make the Mitsubishi symbol in my trunk.. you have to go kinda slow when cutting threw the metal thogh i went to fast and it just made it harder and burned the bit in half..

QnzMostWanted
08-27-2002, 07:33 AM
i used a jigsaw

http://www.nygalants.com/nyctrini/sidemarkers.jpg

http://www.nygalants.com/nyctrini/sidemarkers2.jpg

http://www.nygalants.com/nyctrini/sidemarkers3.jpg

(it was raining)

queball
08-27-2002, 07:15 PM
Oh and another thing if you do put them in your self or have some one else to it get a bottle of tuch up paint and paint the bare metle edges so it doesn't start rusting, it's not to good for your fender and it looks even worse when the rush starts to run down the side of your care..

QnzMostWanted
08-27-2002, 08:45 PM
mine aint rusty, its just dirty

queball
08-27-2002, 08:48 PM
[quote="NyGalant4G63T"]mine aint rusty, its just dirty[/quote
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif didn't mean any thing buy it i just saw the brown around your hole (oh that doesn't sound good neither ) but any ways it just reminder me of the touch up paint.. thing..

QnzMostWanted
08-27-2002, 08:50 PM
all good, just letting it be known

2True
08-28-2002, 07:24 PM
Did youz guyz wire them to your turn signals or your headlights? Personally I'd like em to blink. Which one is easier?

pinoyesv6
08-28-2002, 07:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2True)</div><div class='quotemain'>Did youz guyz wire them to your turn signals or your headlights? Personally I'd like em to blink. Which one is easier?</div>

you can hook up your sidemarkers to any 12 volt supply you want. you can tap for the power from the headlights, the fogs, blinkers, or jsut to the battery and add a switch. as for which one is easier. they look pretty much the same to install, you jsut got to get the wires there.

QnzMostWanted
08-28-2002, 07:31 PM
mine are tapped off my signal lights

queball
09-02-2002, 01:27 AM
Mine were just hooked up to my lights so they cam on when my lights were on but i decided that, it looked dumb so i tapped them into my turn signals. then i got tired of that so i hooked them back up to my lpark lights and made a relay for them so they would come on with my park lights but still flash with my turn signals, and i also put strobes in them, not to metions all 6 of my strob lights went out don't know why i didn't use them mayybe 2 or 3 hours and they quit working.. . Now if i can just find the short in my drivers fog light i put a new bulb in there juts last month iive only had them on maybe 10 hours and the bulbs burned out again..