PDA

View Full Version : Shop says 8hrs to install springs

2002-GeeTeeZee
05-04-2003, 02:30 PM
I have a question. I finally got my Eibach Pro Kit from Adventon, and I went to a shop and these characters wanted to charge me somewhere between 6-8 hrs of labor at $60-65/hr. I told them that I had researched that it should take somewhere in the neiborhood of 1-1/2 hrs to install (all 4 corners), they laughed and said good luck (playing that seedy used car saleman's tactics as if I didn't know what i was talking about). So I left.

So I ask, how long should I be expected to be charged, from a reputable professional shop, for labor hours (just for the springs and no alignment)? Also, how long would it take with alignmnet included? Thanks ALL.

Also, any tips on telling the shop what to look for and or how to seat the springs properly (I'm afraid these shops don't see many Galants as opposed to Camrys and Accords).

Lastly, any recommendations for shops in the DC area? Thanks again.

mrjaydeeone
05-04-2003, 02:43 PM
I had my springs installed last year
100 for the front
100 for the back

I had them installed seperately
the front were done in about 1.5 hours
and the rear were done in about 2 hours

pinoyesv6
05-04-2003, 03:43 PM
first thing i should say is that many shops have a book that gives an estimated rate for doing certain jobs. for example in their book it might say that it will take 8 hours to do. and for some it might. but for a well seasoned person it might take an hour and a half. but yea they do stuff like that to make things fair. for the shop and for you. i mean if you got a guy who can do the job in 30 mins, the shop would be losing money if they did it by the actual time. but on the other hand, if u got the ditz who took 8 hours to do the job, u'd be losing money. so yea, the shop uses book hours to keep things fair.

but with that said, it shouldn't take that long to do. or cost that much. unless like u came to the shop late and there is a big line of people waiting to get their cars done first. but yea u shouldn't have to pay for waiting.

00GTZ00
05-04-2003, 04:33 PM
LOL hours!!! LOL NONONO!!!

I installed my pro-kit in 2 hours, That is with BSing with my cousin and drinking some beers. then I took it in the shop to get an allighnment and my car was done in 1 hour!

Find another place to have your springs installed. A good time from a shop would be around 4 hours for everything...

peanotation
05-04-2003, 04:56 PM
seriously, go somewhere else. i went to this place in downtown that is extremely well trusted, and they only took 2 hours to install my coilovers (no struts) and no problems so far. was 140 bucks in the end. completely wroth it. you're getting jacked.

paco
05-04-2003, 05:16 PM
I paid 175 for my installation and that included GC coilovers and KYB's on all four corners. Go somewhere else, that is too much money.

burthold
05-04-2003, 05:32 PM
same here paid 170 to have struts and springs installed firestone shop quoted me 675 to do the work without an alignment. yeah right.

Wes

Liszt
05-04-2003, 05:37 PM
I would say 3 hours tops for the install and a 4 wheel allignment.

L

PUNISHER
05-04-2003, 06:40 PM
come down to woodbridge VA, and Quality Tire by the potomac mills mall will do the springs for 200.00 labor included and will will be 3hrs at the most. BTW Quality Tire has been in bussiness for over 20 yrs. owned by the same guy for all of that, they know what they are doing and do a good job at it.

now if you want it cheaper i know another place that would do it for maybe 100.00 to 150.00 but i will have to find out tomorrow. that is all i know forthe DC area.

Auto-9
05-04-2003, 08:46 PM
Man my Mitsubishi dealership works faster than that. I'd find a new shop.

Ghost Beat
05-05-2003, 09:16 AM
ya thats preety slow me and my friend didnt take that long even with jumping in the pool every 15 mins caus it was hot as hell and i did a full coilover and agx install alltogether.

Gilhuly
05-06-2003, 03:51 PM
If you'd never done it and had jackstands and a spring compressor it would no way take more than 3 hours.

Andoy
05-07-2003, 11:53 AM
I've been getting quotes for installation of springs and the quotes are all over the place -- from 150-$400. I guess since they don't do these every day they don't know what to charge. I'm just going with the lowest priced shop becasue what is there to changing springs? It's not rocket science. Agree?

Question - Is there a separate spring set for the 4 cyl. Galant? I see that there's a set for the 6 ...

Auto-9
05-07-2003, 01:12 PM
I've been getting quotes for installation of springs and the quotes are all over the place -- from 150-$400. I guess since they don't do these every day they don't know what to charge. I'm just going with the lowest priced shop becasue what is there to changing springs? It's not rocket science. Agree?

Question - Is there a separate spring set for the 4 cyl. Galant? I see that there's a set for the 6 ...

For most spring packages there's no difference for the 4 and the 6, though I know for certain that Intrax does differentiate for their products. Spring install isn't too difficult, I've seen it done and it's not too bad...not like an engine swap. My shop charged me 180 for the install, but Mitsubishi did it for free https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

2True
05-08-2003, 02:07 AM
I could do it in 45 minutes... :wink:

I doubt that is all labor time bro, they probably want you to drop it off and then pick it up in an 8 hour period or normal workday. So they can sit around and say "Yup" to each other over and over and over...

I'd say about $250 for the whole deal sounds bout right.

vic_v_jr
05-08-2003, 09:22 AM
I went to a sport shop in Chantilly, VA and they quoted me $200.00-$220.00 to install the springs. Just call and make an appointment and you can wait. Only 30 minutes west of DC. It's called Evolution motorports, here's the link:

www.evolutionautosports.com ('http://www.evolutionautosports.com')

Gilhuly
05-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Nice Muttly dude!

verywhite01
05-09-2003, 07:09 AM
I had a place do springs and struts and wheel alighment for 175 in 3 hrs I think even less than that.

vic_v_jr
05-09-2003, 08:53 AM
Nice Muttly dude!

Thanks....Your bananna rocks! (Okay..that didn't sound right) https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

HeadAche
05-09-2003, 09:03 AM
Damn i paid 40 bucks for hte install then another 20 for beer and food..lol

2002-GeeTeeZee
05-18-2003, 02:53 PM
come down to woodbridge VA, and Quality Tire by the potomac mills mall will do the springs for 200.00 labor included and will will be 3hrs at the most. BTW Quality Tire has been in bussiness for over 20 yrs. owned by the same guy for all of that, they know what they are doing and do a good job at it.

now if you want it cheaper i know another place that would do it for maybe 100.00 to 150.00 but i will have to find out tomorrow. that is all i know forthe DC area.

Well guys/gals, I finally took my springs to this place "Quality Tire" and they are awsome!! Their prices are by the job, not hour, so they quoted me $175 (tax included) and initially 2Hrs. Guess what, I dropped it off, and they called me in about 45 min (expecting problems), but they were done, no joke. I guess these guys realize that the faster they finish, the more jobs they can get, and the more income they get (instead of gouging you with hours). 100+% HAPPY.

jomin1016
05-18-2003, 10:58 PM
yeah - I did mine myself and I'm no mechanic, but I can honestly say, the first time I did 'em it did take me a while, maybe like 2 hrs for the front and 2 hrs for the back, but now that I know how to do it, (and I'm no mechanic) I could probably do the whole job in like 2-3 hrs - so a shop shouldn't charge more than that - by no means.....cuz I don't have a lift, and I"m no professional....

IllestGalant
05-18-2003, 11:19 PM
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif are you sure you said springs not tranny and motor https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

mrjaydeeone
05-18-2003, 11:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(verywhite01)</div><div class='quotemain'>I had a place do springs and struts and wheel alighment for 175 in 3 hrs I think even less than that.</div>

damn costed me 200 to have my struts installed and then 90 bucks for a 4 wheel alignment