PDA

View Full Version : EGR Valve Help?

LoSTxSigma
01-15-2015, 08:25 PM
I'm new here... So Ill start by saying sorry if you have had this question asked hundreds of times.

Ive got the error code P0401, EGR Valve Flow insufficient.

I have a 2001 Galant ES as reference.

I read on a few places that before you replace the part, to clean it out.
I tried this, But quickly gave up because I couldn't get to the screws to take it off.

So ill ask, What is the best way to take it off, and clean it? Also, Are there common things that cause the error code to pop up.
What might be a cause other than the valve itself to be clogged up. Pictures or videos would be a great help.

Im not new to car maintenance, but I dont want to break anything and risk buying a whole new one.

Black8GV6
01-15-2015, 08:50 PM
There are multiple parts of the EGR system. You can try to clean the accessible parts of the EGR tube and you can clean the EGR valve.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5116/14015817517_977a573f5d_b.jpg

I just cleaned and replaced some of the EGR system on my eclipse, I had to access most of it from underneath the car

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7464/16103010710_19da387545_c.jpg

LoSTxSigma
01-15-2015, 09:01 PM
My EGR valve is located directly on top of the engine, Right at the back next to the wall.
It's possible that more parts could be affected? The problem I am having in that I cant fit a screw driver or a drill to take off the screws because there is such little space.

Black8GV6
01-16-2015, 10:44 AM
THERE ARE NO SCREWS only bolts, did you not read my post? I said I had to reach it from underneath the car in my eclipse, you have a galant so you should have more room to reach it from the top.

oakrdrs187
01-16-2015, 11:29 AM
WTF is it with bad choice of words from newbs latley.

I've yet to remove anything under the hood with a screwdriver or drill not to be confused with prying with a flat head.

Ok newbie, rarely is the EGR valve bad, its valve it needs vacuum to open and close. No vacuum no open or close.

Thoroughly check the vacuum lines for breaks, holes, pinching or cracks, replace as needed. Using the diagram our fellow member and COTM winner posted look for the solenoid and check the pigtail for cracks, breaks or moisture in the connector. Ensure its properly plugged in.

Question for you.... how long has the code been active? What was the last thing done to this car? Was the throttle body ever removed for anything at all?

LoSTxSigma
01-18-2015, 01:21 PM
Bad choice of words? There are 4 screws attached to the EGR valve unless they are just pointless screws that are just for show.

I pulled the throttle body off and cleaned around in there, I also used a can of sea foam in the break booster trying to get the carbon cleaned out and hopefully to let the egr open and close again.

Other than that, I haven't done much else. Another code popped up though (im guessing from letting the brake booster hose run for a bit too long being disconnected.) saying that the engine was too lean. Im hoping that code goes away, and im just left with P0401 again.
The EGR valve is located right on top of the car, But I can't get it disconnected from the throttle body because there are screws in it, and not bolts.

Also, The light has been on for about 3 months. It came on right before I had to get it inspected.

Black8GV6
01-18-2015, 01:32 PM
You must be troll of the year or you had a full lobotomy

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7494/16123744678_9f0c6a2ab8_o.jpg

oakrdrs187
01-18-2015, 04:35 PM
Lol at screws.

Dude, it's 12mm bolts to remove the TB and EGR valve.

I had a insufficient EGR flow code that was due to and incorrect TB gasket on the outlander manifold swap. Replaced with correct gasket and problem solved, emissions passed.

Did you replace the gasket? If so, correct gasket? If so on the right way?

If there's a leak at the vacuum line on top of the TB the EGR will not open since the solenoid uses intake vacuum to open and close the valve.

demond0d5
01-18-2015, 08:52 PM
guys he is partially correct...there are 4 screws holding the valve together, not onto the tb/mani/etc, but actually holding the top of the valve itself on. Maybe OP isn't taking the valve off, maybe he's just doing the work with it still mounted on.....wouldn't throw out the noob, "your an idiot and fucktard:076:" that quickly...makes us look like assholes :012:

edit*** I may be thinking of the other EGR valve looking valve on the TB...cant remember if they were the same or not...regardless though, op could be looking at the wrong one too

OP it may help if you are 4 or 6 cyl...if it is 6cyl I promise you can get the egr off from the top. I would assume the same for 4cyl but ive never actually worked on one.
that being said, its possible your egr valve is bad...I say that because I just fought the same code for a bad one...sorry oak!

OP go to a parts store (orielly, autozone, advanced, etc) and borrow an OBD2 scanner. clear the code and see if it shows back up...if it does then you have a problem. start by replacing the hose (about 2 or 3 feet should work) you can buy that at the parts store while you're there. *IF* that doesn't fix it either replace the EGR solenoid or the valve. may also consider taking the recirculation pipe off and seeing if anything is overly plugged up by carbon deposits...

oakrdrs187
01-18-2015, 10:25 PM
Egr looking thingy on top of the TB is for cruise control, nothing to do with emissions.

demond0d5
01-18-2015, 10:26 PM
Yeah ik...was thinking it's the same valve design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk