PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a GTZ, burning rubber smell & cruise won't work?

Zequel
02-13-2015, 11:55 AM
So I just bought an '01 GTZ. I introduced myself on here a few days ago. Anyway, I have a couple of questions maybe someone could help me with. I did search, but haven't found any definite answers yet. After I drive the car there is a fairly strong smell of burning rubber or plastic. I'm sure it's not the smell of oil or gas. I don't see any smoke from it and I don't see anything obviously wrong in the engine. I never had this smell from my ES I owned previously. Maybe it's no big deal. Anyone else have this issue?

Also, my cruise doesn't work. Vacuum lines seem fine. I put a new bulb in the dash and the light still doesn't come on. Since it doesn't work and the light also doesn't come one, does that mean it has to be the switch? Is it common for these to go out? Just a couple of nit picky things, maybe someone on here knows about. Other than that, everything seems to be working great. Very excited about the upgrade. Plus GTZ just sounds way cooler than ES! Haha.

CHICAGO_ONE
02-13-2015, 12:48 PM
As for the smell, check your radiator for any leaks. Does the coolant reservoir stay full? I recently had that where I would get a burning smell after driving for awhile. Coolant was leaking from the seams on the radiator. Replaced that and no more issues.

My cruise control also doesn't work, but the light Does come on. I would check for a fuse or the switch. Others might want to chime in on this part.

Zequel
02-13-2015, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the reply. My coolant overflow was low, but I'm not sure if it was like that when I bought it around the end of December and I didn't notice, so I filled it up and I'll have to keep my eye on it. I think it's the original radiator, so it could be leaking at the seams, like you said.

As for the cruise control, I took the center part of the steering wheel off to check out the switch and when I went to disconnect it, I didn't even have to unclick the connector. I pushed it back together until it clicked which took some force. Reconnected the battery, turned the key on and pressed the button on the switch....and the cruise light on the dash came on! I went out and tested it on the road and it works great! Strange. I don't know if someone has been in there and didn't reconnect it good, or if it just worked loose over the years. Anyway, nice to have that fixed so easy. I'm guessing it's normal for these cars to run rough after the battery has been disconnected, because my old ES used to do it too. I just ran the car on full load (ac, lights, radio, etc on) for a while, turned it off and restarted it and it seems to be running smooth again. Nice to have the cruise back!

4g63lover
02-14-2015, 12:12 AM
I recently just bought an 01 LS. The burning smell you might be smelling could be what they used to detail the engine bay when they were selling the car.