PDA

View Full Version : LED bulb questions.

Zequel
03-21-2015, 03:45 PM
So, recently I put an LED bulb in my license plate light and started wondering how LEDs would work for all the lights. I just discovered how cheap you can get them on ebay and elsewhere online. Has anyone put LEDs in their brake lights, blinkers, fogs, and such. Does it cause any electrical issues? Do they really give you that instant crisp on/off like newer cars with LED lighting? Just wondering.

Techn0Nut1996
03-21-2015, 04:46 PM
I have done the same, I also replaced the bulb in the trunk to an LED bulb. I replaced the turn signals as well, which does mean installing a resistor for each bulb. It is not hard to do at all if you know basic electrical stuff.

Quick video of how they turned out here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHoa_ineyZ0&list=UU8KrHNLeqHy6UfCr9G_HwAg).

EDIT: Since making this video I have changed the connectors that I used to splice the wires together. I have actually soldered the resistors to the wires then heat shrink over that.

Yes, it does have the new car on/off crispness. As for electrical issues, I have had none so far and I am sure as long as they are installed correctly they will be just fine.

I am planning on going full LED (fog lights, tail lights, etc.) soon once I get the time and collect the parts.

iamjparkinson
03-21-2015, 10:01 PM
I have done the same, I also replaced the bulb in the trunk to an LED bulb. I replaced the turn signals as well, which does mean installing a resistor for each bulb. It is not hard to do at all if you know basic electrical stuff.

Quick video of how they turned out here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHoa_ineyZ0&list=UU8KrHNLeqHy6UfCr9G_HwAg).

EDIT: Since making this video I have changed the connectors that I used to splice the wires together. I have actually soldered the resistors to the wires then heat shrink over that.

Yes, it does have the new car on/off crispness. As for electrical issues, I have had none so far and I am sure as long as they are installed correctly they will be just fine.

I am planning on going full LED (fog lights, tail lights, etc.) soon once I get the time and collect the parts.
You should make a little diy post with part names/numbers if it isn't already done. Looks good though, I'm gonna LED everything soon. What bulb style did you use for the trunk?

Techn0Nut1996
03-21-2015, 10:04 PM
You should make a little diy post with part names/numbers if it isn't already done. Looks good though, I'm gonna LED everything soon. What bulb style did you use for the trunk?

2002 Mitsubishi Galant Car Light Bulb Size Chart
Low Beam Headlamp Bulb Size: 9003/HB2
High Beam Headlamp Bulb Size: 9003/HB2
Parking Light Bulb Size: 1157A
Front Turn Signal Light Bulb Size: 1157A
Rear Turn Signal Light Bulb Size: 2057
Tail Light Bulb Size: 2057
Stop Light Bulb Size: 2057
High Mount Stop Light Bulb Size: 921
Fog/Driving Light Bulb Size: 899
License Plate Light Bulb Size: 168
Back Up Light Bulb Size: 1156
Front Side Marker Light Bulb Size: 1157A
Rear Side Marker Light Bulb Size: 2057
Ash Tray Light Bulb Size: 74
Glove Box Light Bulb Size: 74
Dome Light Bulb Size: DE3175
Step/Courtesy Light Bulb Size: 158
Trunk/Cargo Area Light Bulb Size: DE3022
Straight off modifiedlife.com (http://www.modifiedlife.com/2002-mitsubishi-galant-car-light-bulb-size-chart/) lol
I just typed the bulb size into Amazon and bought them. It was like 3 bucks for 2

iamjparkinson
03-21-2015, 10:07 PM
You're a saint. I'm sure I would have found it eventually, but time is money as they say lol

Techn0Nut1996
03-21-2015, 10:14 PM
You're a saint. I'm sure I would have found it eventually, but time is money as they say lol
lol no problem.