PDA

View Full Version : Rod knock?

jkhawk60
05-13-2015, 10:41 AM
Not being familiar with these engines, does this sound like rod knock?

https://youtu.be/3GuzR5EowL8

stayer
05-13-2015, 02:10 PM
Pulled the bearing pair on the 4 cylinder. The engine should be disassembled. Crankshaft grind to a repair size +0.25 mm.

- - - Updated - - -

However, before Assembly it is necessary to understand the reasons. Primarily this is due to oil starvation. You need to check the clearances in the oil pump. As well as to measure the pressure in an oil line. Also check the gap in the cylinder head at camshaft.

jkhawk60
05-13-2015, 02:14 PM
As this is for my 18 year old, and he (and I) are on very tight budgets, and very time constrained, I may take a look at a salvage engine from a couple local yards and see if any of those may have good donor engines.. hard to beat their price points.. though I know that comes with caveat emptor.. what is the consensus on this strategy?

stayer
05-13-2015, 02:46 PM
I live in Russia. For us, the repairs are always cheaper than buying another engine. I don't know how you have and how much. The choice is always yours.

jkhawk60
05-13-2015, 05:04 PM
Appreciate your quick reply, and your amazing command of English! In my case, a salvage yard engine is looking like the best bet, as parts plus machining will cost more than the replacement engine, of course, this will be after thorough inspection of that candidate, as much as possible..

stayer
05-14-2015, 12:00 AM
I think you are mistaken.
Grinding crankshaft price $70 - 90.
main bearings $ 70
rod bearings $ 50
To disassemble and reassemble the engine (can self). Don't be afraid. This will give you experience and confidence. Just take the manual, there is no big deal.

- - - Updated - - -

At certain skill it is possible to remove the crankshaft even without removing the engine. And even without removing the cylinder head. However, it is necessary to Unscrew the gearbox and move it to the left. Or to remove.