PDA

View Full Version : exhaust

irishpunk
05-06-2003, 08:07 AM
I'm thinking about doing and exhaust system and one thing that I noticed when researching the Evo is that its exhaust system weighed a ton. Now if I go header back, get a full system, I'm wondering who makes the lightest package. I think on the Evo with a Buschur Racing full exhaust the car saved 36 lbs on the car. In knowing this I feel that Mitsu makes a heavy exhaust system. So not only would I get better performance due to exhaust, but also if it were lighter thats as good as power. I think I'm close to getting the car under or at 3000lbs (not including me) with the rims I got. They are 13.5lbs a piece for 16's and if I could shave weight on the exhaust that would be even better.

Ok so that was kind of long winded. Basically does anyone know the lightest exhaust system.

pinoyesv6
05-06-2003, 08:18 AM
since there isn't a full exhaust system for our cars, yet, there won't be a lightest one. but yea, the stock muffler does weigh a ton. so by simply replacing it with most aftermarket universal style peformance mufflers, you would be saving weight. i bet pipes weigh less than ur resonators so i guess if u replace the resonators with pipe, then u would save weight. but yea, with pipe choices, in most places you are limited to one thing. alluminized steel. so u have no choice with that. i guess with routing you can save weight. i dunno if you can incorporate maybe a side exhaust in the car somehow but if the exhaust doesn't go all the way to the back of the car u might save weight there. but i haven't pictured how you'd route the piping. but yea, if your'e worried about weight, there are other places than the exhaust u can really stress about. ie. ur interior, ur bumper crash guards, etc

irishpunk
05-06-2003, 08:45 AM
Yeah those are good ideas. The only thing with the weight saving is I really don't want to jeopradize the actual integrity of my car. I want to have it be as much a daily drive, because it is, so it needs to have the spare tire and such and it needs the bumpers and things. More or less I am just working slowly to take things off and replace with lighter. I suppose I could also look into a carbon fibre hood. Maybe even a trunk and that would save some weight. Anyways, thanks for the input, I'll have to look around. One more question, is stainless steel much heavier than alluminzed steel? I live in michigan and salt is in abundance in the winter, so I don't need the exhaust to be rusting out on me.