View Full Version : New Header replace the gaskets or not?

cdaw2001ES
08-26-2002, 08:55 PM
Ok so I'm ready to install my Kami's but I have a couple of questions.
Should I replace the manifold and downpipe gaskets? and do I need to replace - or obtain bolts to hold the new header to the downpipe. -- I'm not far enough along to tell if those bolts are part of the pre cat, I know the nuts come off.....

Auto-9
08-26-2002, 09:26 PM
Personally I'd say yes, take this opportunity to change your gaskets. That is unless of course you have a new car...

pinoyesv6
08-26-2002, 09:27 PM
i'd change it you migth damage it when taking everything apart. just a thought. not that expensive

Fishboy55
08-27-2002, 07:37 AM
Hell Yes!!!! Absolutely replace the gaskets. If the new headers didn't come with gaskets, go buy some. You'll reduce your chance of leaks.

Chip

cdaw2001ES
08-27-2002, 03:32 PM
$27.00 for the set, had to order them, no headers till next thursday :twisted:

Fishboy55
08-27-2002, 04:10 PM
What headers did you buy?? I thought the RPW headers came with the gaskets and mounting bolts included.

pinoyesv6
08-27-2002, 04:11 PM
What headers did you buy?? I thought the RPW headers came with the gaskets and mounting bolts included.

he ordered the kamikazze headers...

Auto-9
08-27-2002, 05:24 PM
Ah so I don't have to buy anything extra once my RPWs hit my door (hopefully not literally)?

Fishboy55
08-27-2002, 05:27 PM
Nope Rallifan. They should come complete with everything you need. If they dont have pictures, like my prototype did, the metal gasket goes between the header and the flex pipe. I bet you're looking down the street for the Sugarland UPS truck like a kid waitin for the Good Humor man aren't you??

Chip

cdaw2001ES
08-27-2002, 07:25 PM
If you get the Kamis's make sure you get a set of gaskets, AND a 2 botls to connect to header to the downpipe. The OEM bolts are part of the pre cat

TJC
08-27-2002, 07:36 PM
I'm surprised you don't get bolts with your header. What's that all about, hahaha.

As for the gaskets, they are pretty durable so if you are careful, you shouldn't need new ones. I didn't get new gaskets for my DP. But that's me. :tongue:

Auto-9
08-27-2002, 08:53 PM
I bet you're looking down the street for the Sugarland UPS truck like a kid waitin for the Good Humor man aren't you??

Chip

I'm not doing that yet...I don't think RPW has shipped the latest inventory to the states yet. Though I did wait outside everyday in 90 degree weather from 3 to 7 p.m. for my AMSS downpipe when it came out https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif Dang package reduced me to a giddy mumbling mess.

Fishboy55
08-28-2002, 07:23 AM
I'm surprised you don't get bolts with your header. What's that all about, hahaha.

As for the gaskets, they are pretty durable so if you are careful, you shouldn't need new ones. I didn't get new gaskets for my DP. But that's me. :tongue:
Apparently it's about supplying a true bolt up header and customer service. How much would it have cost to include the bolts? Maybe a nickel? Sheesh!

Chip

cdaw2001ES
08-28-2002, 08:21 AM
I bought Satinless bolts from Lowes, a pack of 5 cost me $17.00.
If I wasn't going to go Turbo within 24Months, I'd of considered RPW's,

Anyway - My Service Engine Soon light came on today, to prevent this what size resistor do I need, and Do I need to install it in line, (to increase resistance) or across (to reduce resistance); also - how do you reset the SES light once I complete the mod. w/o the MUT-II

Thanks,

pinoyesv6
08-28-2002, 09:25 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cdaw2001ES)</div><div class='quotemain'>I bought Satinless bolts from Lowes, a pack of 5 cost me $17.00.
If I wasn't going to go Turbo within 24Months, I'd of considered RPW's, Â*

Anyway - My Service Engine Soon light came on today, to prevent this what size resistor do I need, and Do I need to install it in line, (to increase resistance) or across (to reduce resistance); also - how do you reset the SES light once I complete the mod. w/o the MUT-II

Thanks,</div>

im suprised that u found the right sized bolts at Lowes, with the same threads and everything. anyways to resest the SES light jsut disconnect the battery for like 15 mins and plug it back on. it should go out...unless u did something wrong

cdaw2001ES
08-28-2002, 09:39 AM
i got new washers, bolts, and Nuts. But used the old nuts as a guide for what to get. 2"L "1.5" 19MM head/ coarse thread

I so confused why the SES comes on , The old location was before the pre cat, the location on the new headers is before the main cat, so either way the 1st o2 should be reading hotter than the second.
I thought that was all ODBII wanted to see
If I don't do a MIL Eliminator mod, will the car go into "Limp Home Mode" as perscribed by ODBII standards?

Turboutlaw
08-28-2002, 11:08 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I bet you're looking down the street for the Sugarland UPS truck like a kid waitin for the Good Humor man aren't you?? Â*

Chip</div>

we like to call him the Brown Santa

Fishboy55
08-28-2002, 11:10 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Turboutlaw)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I bet you're looking down the street for the Sugarland UPS truck like a kid waitin for the Good Humor man aren't you?? Â*

Chip</div>

we like to call him the Brown Santa</div> https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

cdaw2001ES
08-29-2002, 10:02 PM
Well I discover to day , after tearing apart the box, that he kami headers did come with bolts, and one gasket - for the downpipe connection :roll: