View Full Version : Key turned, dash lights up but car does not start

eksz
06-29-2015, 09:05 PM
My 98 7g has a reoccurring problem. Turn the key to first click and all the idiot lights light up (check engine, oil, battery, seat belt, brake and SRS) but when I continue to turn key to engage starter, nothing happens; no cranking, no noise, no nothing. What is strange is sometimes it fires off the first time and other times I might have to turn the key six or seven times before the starter engages. When the starter does engage, car fires right up. Battery is good. Suggestions on what to check? Thanks, jjj

demond0d5
06-29-2015, 11:49 PM
starter solenoid may be going out

Galanttuner10
07-01-2015, 05:02 PM
Starter is going. Check battery voltage and as long as it's above 12.4 most likely the starter.

eksz
07-03-2015, 12:12 AM
Thanks, I'll swap the starter and see what happens

BIG_WILLY_831
07-08-2015, 11:56 AM
You could also grab a friend and check signal to the solenoid with a test light ground the test light as the signal has power make sure the test light works and verify power to signal wire when you turn the key if you have power every time you turn the key all the way the starter is bad. If you have a dvom you could also do a voltage drop test on the power and ground (starter body to block) that's if you wanna get technical with it. But most likely it's a bad starter.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Triller831
10-10-2015, 06:07 PM
You could also grab a friend and check signal to the solenoid with a test light ground the test light as the signal has power make sure the test light works and verify power to signal wire when you turn the key if you have power every time you turn the key all the way the starter is bad. If you have a dvom you could also do a voltage drop test on the power and ground (starter body to block) that's if you wanna get technical with it. But most likely it's a bad starter.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

THIS. Good answer bro!