PDA

View Full Version : Easy Weight Reduction

TITAN
05-06-2003, 05:16 PM
This is for the 2002-2003 G-rides and I havent seen this posted. has anyone done this??

Well, heres my experience....

Ok riders, i was putting in my new reverse glow gauges the other day, and we get 'em in fine, but the next day i start hearing this little ting, ting, ping, you know something bouncing off metal. Anyway, i feel around under there and can feel this big-ass U-shaped metal bar that goes up and around the steering column. So, I think to myself, this is just like the stupid metal plate in the GLOVE BOX, so I think I'll remove it....

1st remove the plastic panel from the drivers side. there are about 5-7 phillips screws holding it in.
2 in top right edge
1 under the hood release
2 very low, almost under the actual panel
2 more on the top left edge
that was pretty easy, just dont lose any of those screws, or the damn thing will be hangin all ghetto style.

now, you have to get way up in there and you will see 2 brackets held in by 2 10mm bolts, 1 on each side. just undo those and you are about 5-10 lbs lighter!!

I made the mistake of being lazy, cause it was dark out and I didnt want to get way under the car. so I thought I would have to cut it out. Took about a 1/2 hour to handsaw thru a 1/2 in. piece of metal cause I couldn't reach it, so it ended up being a hell of alot more work. I cut through the first side and then decided to take a closer look and saw the bolts up in there...damn!

Moral to the story....

<span style='color:red'>WEIGHT REDUCTION IS GOOD AND DON'T BE LAZY!!!</span>

Danger DANJ
05-09-2003, 10:09 AM
That same bar makes noise on my '99 as well. One day it just started. I don't know about removing it though. It's got to be there for a reason.

Prophet
05-09-2003, 11:25 AM
That same bar makes noise on my '99 as well. One day it just started. I don't know about removing it though. It's got to be there for a reason.

Thats what I am thinking. It could be some kind of bar that holds something else in place for the structure of the car.

TITAN
05-09-2003, 12:34 PM
nope. it wasnt touching any part of the car except for where it was actually mounted. it was just hanging there, doing nothing. So, if you are really skinny, you might be able to look up under there without having to remove the plastic panel to see for yourself. or you could remove the screws from the bottom of the panel and just bend it back a little bit and take a peek.

trust me though, i would not have removed it if it had been connected to all sorts of things.

Ghost Beat
05-09-2003, 12:45 PM
might be for hard front end impacts or something since the dash is supposed to be like one of the strongest parts of the car.. just a guess.

GaLaNtKeV99
05-09-2003, 12:48 PM
I dont see the reason to take it off, its only 5-10lbs, its not like it makes that much of a difference.

TITAN
05-09-2003, 01:05 PM
I dont see the reason to take it off, its only 5-10lbs, its not like it makes that much of a difference.

well the only reason i even checked it out was cause the damn thing was "ping, pinging" and I couldnt handle it. and any weight reduction is good weight reduction. obviously im not gon be removing seats and putting thinner glass and stripping the interior of the car and trunk, so i just find stuff that clearly is not needed and just remove it.

why did anyone remove their huge metal plate in their glove box?...cause it sucks and is unbelievably heavy. it has nothing to do with the structural integrity of the car and its not there to keep theives out either, cause the damn thing doesnt even lock!

might be for hard front end impacts or something since the dash is supposed to be like one of the strongest parts of the car.. just a guess.

its not at all a structural part of the car, like i said its only about 5-10lbs so it aint gon be saving your life or anything like that.

so, like i said before check it for yourself and make the decision.

**if i can remove enough weight from the car to offset my fat-ass, then I will be happy.

GaLaNtKeV99
05-09-2003, 01:20 PM
**if i can remove enough weight from the car to offset my fat-ass, then I will be happy.

LoL https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Danger DANJ
05-09-2003, 08:17 PM
I asked Manybrews and he confirmed that that bar is indeed for accidents. The engineers put that there for a specific reason and I'm not moving it.

TITAN
05-09-2003, 09:44 PM
hes wrong. well wrong is not the word Im looking for, just misinformed. why dont you just look at it for yourself and decide, instead of asking "the drunk one", manybrews.

i will give him the right description and then see if he still thinks that it is part of the "structure".

escoson
05-09-2003, 10:02 PM
that bar is there so if you have a "bad" accident your steering colum well have less chances of tearing through your entire dash and save you being cut in half or something like that. I wouldnt worry about it to much though unless you are beyond a very agressive driver (aka careless)

TITAN
05-09-2003, 10:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(escoson)</div><div class='quotemain'>that bar is there so if you have a "bad" accident your steering colum well have less chances of tearing through your entire dash and save you being cut in half or something like that. I wouldnt worry about it to much though unless you are beyond a very agressive driver (aka careless)</div>

ya, REALLY BAD!! its gonna hit you regardless, tho. it may just hit you high or hit you low. i really dont care where it hits me, cause its gon' hurt like hell no matter what.

verywhite01
05-10-2003, 02:44 AM
The bar I think you talking about is for when you get into an accident like escoson said, it helps the steering wheel collapse(if you look your steering wheel coloum is made up of 2 or 3 parts that 1 is smaller than the previous one so they slide into each other) that bar makes it so the wheel collapses easier and dosent tear right through you.

TITAN
05-10-2003, 12:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(verywhite01)</div><div class='quotemain'>The bar I think you talking about is for when you get into an accident like escoson said, it helps the steering wheel collapse(if you look your steering wheel coloum is made up of 2 or 3 parts that 1 is smaller than the previous one so they slide into each other) Â*that bar makes it so the wheel collapses easier and dosent tear right through you.</div>

actually, i think you just veered of the right course at the end there. it does not even touch the steering column. what i was saying before was, at the very most, it would "probably" keep the steering column from dropping too low in a very high speed accident. like head on collision at 80mph

Danger DANJ
05-11-2003, 01:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(knightriderXXX)</div><div class='quotemain'>hes wrong. well wrong is not the word Im looking for, just misinformed. why dont you just look at it for yourself and decide, instead of asking "the drunk one", manybrews.

i will give him the right description and then see if he still thinks that it is part of the "structure".</div>

Why would manybrews be misinformed? He has worked as a Mitsubishi mechanic for a long time.

Khopari
05-11-2003, 02:00 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danger DANJ)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(knightriderXXX)</div><div class='quotemain'>hes wrong. well wrong is not the word Im looking for, just misinformed. why dont you just look at it for yourself and decide, instead of asking "the drunk one", manybrews.

i will give him the right description and then see if he still thinks that it is part of the "structure".</div>

Why would manybrews be misinformed? He has worked as a Mitsubishi mechanic for a long time.</div>

umm that thing does drive me crazy it keep making anoying noise,, but i believe manybrews, he is mechanics,, he is been right before....

Ghost Beat
05-11-2003, 02:23 PM
i thougth it would be there for something like that. i feel smart now https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif but as for weight reduction im not too worried about it at this point i got heavy ass 18's so weight reduction at this point and time is not realy at the top of my list ive been in 2 tottal wrecks before so im preety sure im not messing with anything that could keep me from gettin messed up.

peanotation
05-11-2003, 02:32 PM
yeah, it must be there for accidents or something. since galants are death traps anyways.

Tiptronic
05-11-2003, 02:45 PM
hell, i didnt know there was metal plate in the glovebox, let alone the steering colum. but yeah, i dont think its there for decoaration. has to serve a purpose

pinoyesv6
05-11-2003, 04:49 PM
the way i see it is this.

if manybrews says its for safety, mitsubishi must think the same. and if mitsu says its for safety, then ur insurance company will say its for safety.

now if i were to get into an accident. and i was injured because of hitting the dash or the dash collapsing or something, i could get in trouble by the insurance company and even dropped for removing a safety device from the car.

if you want ur cars to lose weight, get rid of the nonessentials first. not the safety devices.

GaLaNtKeV99
05-11-2003, 06:57 PM
I Agree