PDA

View Full Version : New EGR valve went bad with P0401 code after only 9k miles.

townandcountry
04-29-2018, 10:36 PM
So, I've been getting P0401 code for almost two years now. The mechanic diagnosed an intermittent EGR valve sticking. That's why it went on and off. About 8 months ago I replaced it with the new EGR that I found on Amazon (suspiciously cheaper than everywhere else, just $50). The mechanic got it installed, but now, after 9k miles and 8 months, I get the same P0401 code. Did I take a stupid gamble by not paying for the $200 EGR that the mechanic was going to sell to me instead? At least he would back it up when it failed. I think it is a retorical question.
Yet, could there be any hidden reason for a new EGR valve to go bad no matter what the quality?

gtx
05-04-2018, 09:59 PM
Yeah, get oem when you can, even used parts are fine on a lot of things still, or whatever you can find at a local parts store with decent warranty. Wouldn't pay $200 for it, you can find them for a lot less if you shop around, and it's very easy to install by yourself.

townandcountry
01-16-2019, 05:07 PM
So, after 7K the new EGR from O'Reilly Auto Parts failed, this one supposed to be a lifetime part of a good quality. What is going on? Why my EGR valves keep on failing?

gtx
01-22-2019, 08:11 PM
Don't sweat it too much, If you are 100% sure it's the valve and not the solenoid, you got warranty, have it replaced. It's retail, it's about profit margins, sometimes it's a hit or miss. Hard to beat oem for quality - I still prefer parts that are made in Japan or the EU when initial buyin is not a concern. Is it a V6 or I4 anyways, I have a few in the garage for a V6 if you want to buy one, I never had to replace a factory one for failure.

townandcountry
02-13-2019, 05:34 PM
Don't sweat it too much, If you are 100% sure it's the valve and not the solenoid, you got warranty, have it replaced. It's retail, it's about profit margins, sometimes it's a hit or miss. Hard to beat oem for quality - I still prefer parts that are made in Japan or the EU when initial buyin is not a concern. Is it a V6 or I4 anyways, I have a few in the garage for a V6 if you want to buy one, I never had to replace a factory one for failure.
Thank you for the offer. I thought that the solenoid is integrated into EGR on my Galant ES (I4 engine). The mechanic (Sears) is out of business. So, I guess I'm screwed as far as proving the origin of a generic EGR. What a pest EGR is on the Galant! Or does it really take a $270 Mitsubishi EGR to make it work for longer than passing emmision control?