PDA

View Full Version : CAI questions

BigJack
05-12-2003, 09:21 PM
I've searched around a bit and it seems to me that most people buy an overpriced CAI instead of making one. It really doesn't seem that hard. Also I don't see why most kits replace the intake plenum from the TB to the MAF. That's pretty straight and wide. Plus it has a resonance chamber that must do something. Any way I don't see why you can't just remove the stock air box, add an adapter plate to the MAF, and run a cone filter down below the headlight, somewhere near the fogs or something. I'll probably try this and see what happens but can anybody tell me why people buy the expensive name brand ones? Do the stickers really add that much more power? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

pinoyesv6
05-12-2003, 10:55 PM
i guess i can answer this one since i build intakes too.

ok lets see a CAI. u can get a CP intake on ebay for like 80 dollars.

piping for a cai. easiest way is to use exhaust pipe. its a lil heavier but cheap. im looking at 25-30 dollars for pipe.

MAS adaptor. if ur lucky u can get one for 15. but most will be in the 20-30 dollar range.

so far we spent about 40 dollars.

20 dollars for a cone filter. u can spend more for a nice filter but we're looking at the bare minimum.

so tahts 60 dollars now.

fittings and hose clamps. cheapest way would to use rubber plumbing fittings if possible. u'd need 3. average the price for each fitting to be 5 dolalrs a piece thats 15 dollars.

that 75 dollars

miscellaneous things like paint, something to hook up for PCV (cheaper than buying a breather filter) and some strapping to make sure that the CAI is secure. i'll be on the low end and say 5 dollars. but im pretty sure its more.

and for a grand total of 80 dollars.

the same price for a CP intake. it isn't as pretty as the CP, it isn't carb approved, but at least u get that sense of satisfaction that u busted ur ass to think and do all the work to make ur own CAI, even though u coulda bought one for the same price.

ov course if u want to move on up with ur homemade intake like better pipe, better fittings, better filter, the price will keep on going up.

Fishboy55
05-13-2003, 01:47 PM
Well since Allan didn't really answer your question, and since I know he's sporting an Injen intake, not a home made one, I'll give it a shot.

You're right, you can leave the airbox from the MAF to the TB and add a MAF adapter and cone filter. You may have some fitment issues, but that should give you a short ram for about 40 bucks. As far as extending from the MAF to the foglight for a CAI, you should be able to do that for a lot less than Allan suggested. (Paint?? Why would you paint it if you're using stainless exhaust pipe??) Your biggest challenge will be to get the pipe mandrel bent, but if you have that hookup with a local shop and can do some basic design, you can do it.

No, the stickers don't add anything, but in the case of AEM, I'm willing to pay for their R&D to get an intake that gives dyno proven gains as opposed to some ghetto rigged contraption that "does the same thing." I don't have an engineering department behind me, but am willing to pay a company that does and can prove their devices works.