PDA

View Full Version : I think that this is it for my engine. (Need new engine or)

rfpa1
05-13-2003, 07:23 PM
Hello: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

(HELP)

This is mostly for members around the ny,nj,pa area.
Well, I think that my engine finally is giving up on me. Althought I have a very small oil leak from the main seal (just drops - it take some time to drop more than a tablespoon) my engine is using up the oil. Iam beginning to see residue out on the muffler and its using up the oil somewhat faster than before. I washed the engine last saturday and today I did not noticed a lot of oil, just a few drops here and there, but the oil level was below the low mark.

Now, Im stuck, I need the car should I dump this car, should I try to find another engine or if I can afford patience try to rebuild this engine. I do not have all the tools, but Im willing to buy them.
So, for you guys near hunts point in the bronx or similar- have you seen a good place to get a used engine and about how much.
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif
Thanks
rfpa1

This is : 95 ES 4g64 2.4L 2351cc L4 mfi (g)

HiperSilver
05-13-2003, 09:51 PM
you see oil out of the exhuast...does the car burn oil?

do a compression test..if compression is off more than 5-8 you might have a possible problem, although if it smokes or something liek that itll be off way more...

if your comp is bad then do a leakdown test, similar to compression test, but pumping air into the clyinders, listen to see if its the valves that are leakin, or the pistons, or head gasket...that should let u know that the motor is alright...

you can replace the main seal if u have time, no need for a new engine just make sure the engine is decent by checkign the compression and other obvious shit, just pull the engine drop the pan, replace the seal , it is replaceable

rfpa1
05-14-2003, 08:25 AM
Hi:
Thanks.

Well I do not see black or blue exhaust on my car just the tips of the muffler as well as the bumper right above are coated with this powdery looking greasy looking black color oily feeling coating.

I do know that I have to add oil aften. I have been driving around 800 miles a week for the pass 2 months. I changed the oil about 1 month ago and yesterday I just decided to check the oil and it was really low.

Well I will see if I can get the tools to do the test this weekend. I checked the plugs and they are dry.

I will keep posting.

Audiphile
05-14-2003, 02:28 PM
could be your valve stem seals. if so, you can just replace them without the new engine.. or get a rebuilt head.

manybrews
05-14-2003, 04:55 PM
a leakdown test is useless to test for oil consumption, as the oil rings have no effect on the sealing of the combustion chamber.

Heres the thing.. The 7th gen cars are known to burn oil due to slightly out of round cylinders... it was very common. They are also known to wear valve guides on high milage engines..
so what im saying is that if youre only using say, a quart every 500 miles, id leave it alone.

oil is cheap, and if thats the only symptom you have, its a lot cheaper than a reman'ed engine.

HiperSilver
05-14-2003, 06:33 PM
he was contemplating installing a new engine, i told him to do a leakdown test to see if the engine is worth it and if there is any problems ...if there is just replace t/

rfpa1
05-14-2003, 08:16 PM
Hi to all:

Thanks for the info.

Well, I have to say the following in defense of my engine.

1) this is the original engine. Besides normal maintenance, replacing the cranshaft pulley (damper pulley) the belts every 60k, once the alternator, 2 water pumps (the last one was just because). Plugs, wires, normal stuff I have not had any problem with it.

2) its using about 2 1/2 to 3 quarts of oil in 3000miles doing an average of 84miles each way 5 days.

3) since last november that my son started to drive it I have replaced by force the folowing - radiator, rear suspension, brake drums, rotors, flex pipe. The four hubs, driver side axle. Well , I cant remember what else (radio).. I can not really complain.

So I think that this weekend or next I will do the compression test, I need to get the long adapter for my unit. And see what happen. I have been loging at the mitsu site (free member ship until june 30) and learning as much as possible. At this time I do know that it needs either the rear main seal or the tranny seal. I am hopping that now the problem is only at the valves I am leanning more at the exhaust ones. Will see.

Thanks

manybrews
05-14-2003, 08:31 PM
Hi to all:

2) its using about 2 1/2 to 3 quarts of oil in 3000miles doing an average of 84miles each way 5 days.

i have gotta tell you that 1 quart every 1000 miles is PERFECTLY acceptable, even on a brand new engine!
Mitsus spec for excessive consumption on a new car is just that.... 1 quart per 1000 miles.
so you DONT have anything to be worried about.

3) since last november that my son started to drive it I have replaced by force the folowing - radiator, rear suspension, brake drums, rotors, flex pipe. The four hubs, driver side axle. Well , I cant remember what else (radio).. I can not really complain.

So I think that this weekend or next I will do the compression test, I need to get the long adapter for my unit. And see what happen. I have been loging at the mitsu site (free member ship until june 30) and learning as much as possible. At this time I do know that it needs either the rear main seal or the tranny seal. I am hopping that now the problem is only at the valves I am leanning more at the exhaust ones. Will see.

Thanks
sounds like you take care of your car, which is rare in the real world.

Personally, id not worry about it.

rfpa1
05-14-2003, 09:17 PM
Hi manybrews.

Yes I do take care of my cars ( im the one that hates people that opens their car doors and leave the marks on my - I have yelled at some).

Well, I do like to keep my car. I started with (believed or not) a Pinto the safest car on the planet. (no one likes to be near one so you always have plenty of space to move around, and unexpected companions for a ride either.

Well, its just that I find the use of oil a concern. I guess Iam going to see about the seals asap and take it from there.

I might be in the bronx this saturday by tremont and white plains if not definitely next saturday around noon, I have to go to kenedy airport.