PDA

View Full Version : motor swap I4 to V6

Potr
05-15-2003, 09:07 PM
i dont know if anyone has looked into this at all or even knows if it will work... but i might consider doing it in the future somewhere and would like to know anything anyone has on the subject... such as: motors to use(perferably keeping with mitsu engines), car to get it from, chassis modifications, mounting, displacement, anything pretty much would be helpful thanks everyone.

Messiah
05-15-2003, 09:35 PM
You should have bouhgt a V6 to begin with

Potr
05-15-2003, 09:37 PM
only had the choice to get the i4 and it was my mom who got it she didnt really care about the engine size...

TWISTED II
05-15-2003, 09:45 PM
the V6 is slow. now i'm sure the I4 is slower, but, so is the V6. you'll be faster than you were, but your still gonna be slow. i would do what clay did and swap the evo motor. it'll fit in the I4. unless your gonna beef up the V6 and then do the swap.

HeadAche
05-15-2003, 10:04 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ThaTwistedGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>the V6 is slow. Â*now i'm sure the I4 is slower, but, so is the V6. Â*you'll be faster than you were, but your still gonna be slow. Â*i would do what clay did and swap the evo motor. Â*it'll fit in the I4. Â*unless your gonna beef up the V6 and then do the swap.</div>

I have to agree with you there, no reason to go from I-4 to v6, its just a waste of money.. Might as well do an evo swap, better performance for the money..

pinoyesv6
05-15-2003, 10:09 PM
if ur gonna bump up to the regular v6 galant motor it would be cheaper to just buy a v6 galant than to do the swap. unless u are getting parts for free or something.

Auto-9
05-15-2003, 11:09 PM
Also, I don't know if you read the Club 3G post, but for the Eclipses swapping a V6 into the inline 4 model vehicles is physically impossible. I forget the reason why but they went really in depth with it. If it's the same way with the Galant, you may be out of luck.

leadfoot
05-16-2003, 05:38 AM
evo swap??? you mean the 270plus hp evo motor? all whell drive evoVIII

HeadAche
05-16-2003, 09:43 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(leadfoot)</div><div class='quotemain'>evo swap??? you mean the 270plus hp evo motor? all whell drive evoVIII</div>

Nope evo 4.. Damn near impossible to pull an evo motor out here in the states. Heard about 2 that were junked, went to get the motor found out Mitsu had them pulled..

Mante
05-16-2003, 03:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Phyxsius)</div><div class='quotemain'>Also, I don't know if you read the Club 3G post, but for the Eclipses swapping a V6 into the inline 4 model vehicles is physically impossible. I forget the reason why but they went really in depth with it. If it's the same way with the Galant, you may be out of luck.</div>

Its very much do able, just need alot of the V6 parts

after its all said and done swapping to the v6 is pointless, waste of 2-4k might as well go force inducted and call it a day

TWISTED II
05-16-2003, 03:42 PM
yeah, i wouldn't do it. maybe if the v6 motor came with more hp, but, 150 hp at the wheels after a swap is pointless . do an evo swap, or turbo your I4.

galantv600
05-17-2003, 12:10 AM
since my dad knows a lot of about motors and we know about mistubishi... we lived in peru and had a friend in the Mitsubishi RalliArt dealership there... I showed him clays evo set up and how he had to do some cutting on the transmission and stuff to get it put in good... my dad basically said his car IS or WILL BE fucked soon... that cutting just made the transmisison lose about 60 to 70 percent of its strength! and whats up with the set up? i havent seen a nwe pic since he set it in there with the wires everywhere...

galantv600
05-17-2003, 12:12 AM
nvmd just saw his set up... just put his intercooler in... but DAMNNN takin him forever :cry: id be doin dat shit FASTTTTT

HeadAche
05-17-2003, 12:46 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantv600)</div><div class='quotemain'>nvmd just saw his set up... just put his intercooler in... but DAMNNN takin him forever Â*:cry: Â* id be doin dat shit FASTTTTT</div>

I just talked with Clay about a couple dayz ago, and he said all he is waiting on was a package from england to come in and he should be just about done with everything, so we should all know in a weeks time whats really good..

Mante
05-17-2003, 03:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantv600)</div><div class='quotemain'>nvmd just saw his set up... just put his intercooler in... but DAMNNN takin him forever Â*:cry: Â* id be doin dat shit FASTTTTT</div>

Fast you say...I dont think so....and I know from first hand experience it aint a fast process

galantv600
05-17-2003, 04:20 PM
well in south america my friend just told me he is going to put an Evo V motor in his galant... he said it gone be a pretty fast process...... but i guess you right... its a motor...takes time... and if not.. you should take ur time and have everything perfect! dont want mistakes that could be costly!

cooterkisser
05-18-2003, 07:51 AM
Clay didn't have to cut shit to put in that EVO motor, he had to relocate the starter, and rewire the ecu, but back to the V6 in to I4... the motor mounts are way different and the trannys are different, ecus are different, why not just turbo your car for half of the money??? And by the way the evo IV-VII and 8 will swap into your car.

HeadAche
05-18-2003, 03:37 PM
Clay didn't have to cut shit to put in that EVO motor, he had to relocate the starter, and rewire the ecu, but back to the V6 in to I4... the motor mounts are way different and the trannys are different, ecus are different, why not just turbo your car for half of the money??? And by the way the evo IV-VII and 8 will swap into your car.

Anyone can turbo a motor i think he did it just to do something different.. I wouldnt even want to swap in any of the evo motors personally.. Shit, i want a VR-4 motor 6A12TT, that is the motor of all Galant motors, nothing compares to it..

galantv600
05-18-2003, 04:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Anyone can turbo a motor i think he did it just to do something different.. I wouldnt even want to swap in any of the evo motors personally.. Shit, i want a VR-4 motor 6A12TT, that is the motor of all Galant motors, nothing compares to it..</div>

i agree!!!!!!!!</div>

Mante
05-18-2003, 06:57 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantv600)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Anyone can turbo a motor i think he did it just to do something different.. I wouldnt even want to swap in any of the evo motors personally.. Shit, i want a VR-4 motor 6A12TT, that is the motor of all Galant motors, nothing compares to it..</div>

i agree!!!!!!!!</div>

Heheheheheheheh I know...oh yea its the 6a13TT https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif the 6a12 is for the usdm 7g.

HeadAche
05-18-2003, 07:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mante)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantv600)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Anyone can turbo a motor i think he did it just to do something different.. I wouldnt even want to swap in any of the evo motors personally.. Shit, i want a VR-4 motor 6A12TT, that is the motor of all Galant motors, nothing compares to it..</div>

i agree!!!!!!!!</div>

Heheheheheheheh I know...oh yea its the 6a13TT https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif the 6a12 is for the usdm 7g.</div>

oops my bad, must be the damn nyqul messin with my memory.. :oops:

cooterkisser
05-19-2003, 02:58 PM
I understand what you want, but you have to look what will fit in your car. Hence those won't cause the motors are 180 out, granted I am sure that with enough time and money one could do anything but shit why spend $10000 to put a VR-4 into your car when you could spend half and put an EVO in it and get almost 300 hp off the get go?

Mante
05-22-2003, 04:43 PM
I understand what you want, but you have to look what will fit in your car. Hence those won't cause the motors are 180 out, granted I am sure that with enough time and money one could do anything but shit why spend $10000 to put a VR-4 into your car when you could spend half and put an EVO in it and get almost 300 hp off the get go?

You havent been listening the vr-4 motor is a direct swap i.e easier swap

cooterkisser
05-22-2003, 07:16 PM
My bad I thought that you were talking about the 91-92 vr-4's... but anyway, why would you want a V6 that puts out 276 hp when you can get the evo motor that is lighter and has 2 less cylinders and still puts out 276 hp, and is still a direct swap???? One more thing you will be able to get parts a lot easier for it also now that the evo 8 is here... I would perfer the evo route...imho

Potr
05-22-2003, 07:23 PM
do you have any idea how hard it is to find and evo motor from a junked lancer? from what i read on this board the two in the country were pulled by mitsu...

Mante
05-22-2003, 07:32 PM
My bad I thought that you were talking about the 91-92 vr-4's... but anyway, why would you want a V6 that puts out 276 hp when you can get the evo motor that is lighter and has 2 less cylinders and still puts out 276 hp, and is still a direct swap???? One more thing you will be able to get parts a lot easier for it also now that the evo 8 is here... I would perfer the evo route...imho

True parts for the Evo motor are "available" in the states...I'll tell you this I live at two major junk yards in Maryland and one of the Larger metro area mitsubishi dealerships. Kids are scared to death of those cars...not a single one has been wrapped around something......yet the weekend of 2fast2foolish umm furious you will see at least 2 per state totalled...down side is they will be front end damage. Sorry to say it but mark my words.

Now yea the I4 evo motor does put out the same power but I always thought about boring out motors and stuff like that. the evo 8 motor is basically flawless anything you do internally will probrably slow it down lol. the Vr4 motor ( 97+) should yeild more possiblities plus the major factor inmy head. Make a GALANT here that mitsubishi was to stupid to bring here so that they will redesign the pitiful galant gen 9 ewww nothing special.

I hate typing long threads...thanks dammnit lol

cooterkisser
05-22-2003, 10:50 PM
for an EVO V front clip go to www.osakajdmmotors.com they quoted me $3500 for the front clip, but it is listed for $5000, give those guys a shot for a cheap clip?????

Ryostyle
05-31-2003, 07:56 AM
I just looked at the vr4 engine on the osakajdmmotors site and saw it listed for 2k, really how much would I be talking to engine swap it into my ride? price wise, time wise, etc. I've had my eye on this engine for a long long time. :!:

Ryostyle
05-31-2003, 08:04 AM
this engine is made for 4wd, so would it even work on a us-galant car?

8ggalant
05-31-2003, 08:07 AM
yes u juss have to use a fwd tranny

Ryostyle
05-31-2003, 08:15 AM
I'm actually writting this down. So just use a fwd tranny? That would explain then why this engine is used on rwd as well as 4wd cars. So then, what else is involved in the engine swap to a 6g72tt, and also would the tranny be able to handle it since the normal tranny used is a 5 speed?

Mante
06-01-2003, 09:52 AM
8ggalant: its not as simple as your makin it appear, grant it the 6g72 does have fwd trans for it in m/t as well as a/t

Ryostyle: the 6g72tt is out of the 3000gt...its reversed meaning you will have to get all new motor mounts. Anything is possible but I noticed you asked about how much it will cost.....heh Its going to cost...thats all Im going to say.

Anything is possible all depends on how much $$$$ you can toss around

8ggalant
06-01-2003, 09:56 AM
sorry bout that i was thinkin from my eclipse days...ill let mante answer the :?: s :oops:

cooterkisser
06-02-2003, 04:28 PM
Like I said before, if you have an 8G the most cost efficient route is the EVO motor cause it is an almost direct swap. Unless the new VR-4 motors are transverse like the evo and our motors???