PDA

View Full Version : what turbo should i get for my 4cyl

mass
05-16-2003, 02:43 AM
ok im havn some trouble on desiding wut turbo will b best for me.....i was gonna go with the big 16 g........then theres the... t3..18g..20g......(might b to big for what i wanna do.... i dunno )then the big t28.........or the reg 16 g......im not lookn to b pushn tons of hp....300hp -350hp... im not sure wut to get ....on the big 16 g does it take to long to spool up....??? i dunno some of guys with 4 cyl turboed maybe can help me out...im more leaning towards the big 16 g since its the next upgrade from a stock 14b

DJ Galant
05-16-2003, 03:12 AM
I am not sure which turbo u would like the most...
It depands on how many pounds u gonna be pushing it, what intercooler,
and of course your pre ference. Is your ride 6g 7g or 8g ?
I know for sure that 18g, and 20 g is a waste of money because of our auro trannies (talkin' 8g galant here). Turbo is simply too big ( you also might have fitting problems)
and it takes forever to spool up. Also, keep in mind that our cars weren't meant to be raved over 6 k ( if u don't wanna risk your head) so big turbo will defeniarety not spool up its max potential at 6k, but rather at 7k or so.
Big 16g may be good choice, though note that at lower boost, small 16g would be better, more responsive , better spooling turbo. I am not a big fan of garret setups myself, simply for not having equavialence for 16g turbo..even smallest t3/t4 setup is more laggy at lower boost than big 16g. T-28 is POS - for sure- friend of mine has it on his eclipse and this bitch is very laggy on his 2.0 liter.
However, don't take my word for chosing your turbo.

I am a happy owner of small 16g turbo, and i haven't use 1/3 of its turbo potential yet....Like I said, it depands on boost levels. Full boost because of my crappy wastgate hits at 3000 rpm (used to be about 2700 when my wastgate was running good).
Boosting 4.5 psi put me at 181 whp at the dyno.

I would assume that big 16g turbo is a bit more laggier than smal 16g , though note that both were are perfect application for our rpm range..

I was considering switching turbos mnyself, but i figured that small 16g is better than big 16g ....reson: big 16g was meant to be applied on even higher boost levels than small 16g.
Keep in mind that stock small 16g was pre-set withg its wastgate actuator at 15 psi. Now, i am only running 4.5 psi, that is not even use 1/3 of its turbo potential, so for me iot is enough.

I am 100% positive that small 16g is a street turbo, so is big 16g but at higher boost levels.

mass
05-16-2003, 05:36 AM
ok thanks....i think i might go with the reg 16g.....im not gonna b boosting over 15psi....and the spool rate is good....2,500-3,000 rpm....thanks

g96nt
05-16-2003, 11:35 AM
well... the Importnat thing To remember, is That your 2.4L Will move significantly more air than a 2L will.

so, a small may not be the best bet.

if you can get one, and have The means to port it.. why not just get a big 16g? the extra 50-75CFM won't *hurt*

and... if you are going so far As to buy a ported/clipped big 16G, why not just go 20G? =0]

20G's can be had these days for around $700 if you can grab a used one, from someone upgrading to a green/red

however.. a 20G will bog your a/t down considerably (unless you have Stock pistons)

if you're not upgrading pistons.. you can Stick With a 16G, Since you will be keeping it below 12psi.

turbo choice comes down to a few things...
a: Cost
b: nature of use (around town, drag Racing, auto-x hill-climb?
c: cost
d: availability

DJ Galant
05-16-2003, 06:30 PM
i would strongly recommend that u get a 16g turbo(eityher one) , over 20g.
Simply cuz 20 g has way bigger compressor housing ( TD06) which on a 8g galant =big fitting problems. 20G compressor wheel is bigger, turbo will be more laggy than 16g , but also you will need an external wastegate with it.

My last word:either big or small 16g if u r 8 gen galant.

mass
05-17-2003, 03:13 AM
YEA I DO HAVE AN 8G GALANT...IVE BEEN LOOKN AT THE 16G'S...AND IVE HEARD THE 16G HAS GOOD SPOOL UP....AND THE 16G KICKS IN HARDER AT THE END...I MEAN THE 16G SOUNDS GOOD ENOUGH FOR WUT I WANT WITH IT...ITS A DAILY DRIVIN CAR...JUST WANT LIL MORE BOOST IN IT....AND UR RUNN ONLY 4 OR 5 PSI AND U GOT 180WHP...TO ME THAT SOUNDS EXCELLENT....AND GOT PLENTY OF ROOM TO BOOST UP MORE.......SO THAT SOUNDS LIKE THE CHOICE FOR ME I THINK...

mass
05-17-2003, 08:09 PM
i ment the (big )16g pulls harder to red line than a reg 16 g

HiperSilver
05-17-2003, 11:29 PM
1st off, what kind of internals do you have...i would suggest a 14b till you can upgrade your internals...as for what kind of turbo do you want for 300-350 hp, that is a lot of power, today i just got a ride in my friend 1g eclipse that has a 20g, the spool up is at 3700 and IT PULLS SOOOO HARD, torque steer will own you, he put down 340 at the wheels, with a 20g, thats with a lot of mods you have to re-examine what kinda numbers and internals u want/have

it toooo difficult to say what turbo woudl be the best...what kind of compression, stock head? upgraded valves? any port work? exhaust work? injectors? etc etc

then you can pick out the right turbo....just saying 300 hp isnt enough, ive seen 16'gs pull that, 20'gs ive seen a t3/t4 57 trim pull 395.,...keep in mind over 10g in the motor was done.. tell me what kind of specs you will be running..then you can decide

as for a turbo overview

tdo5-16g - great all around DSM turbo, guys love it, spools quick, not much creep with the internal gate(if ported) good for about 20 reliably

big 16 is the same , same 7cm exhaust housing, we bit bigger compressor housing, spool up is same, extra 50 or so hp.

20g-too big for what you need, 3700 spool up...by the time you spool that fucker its already time to shift, the power curve the turbo is capable of wont match the rev's of the engine...not very compatable.

18g-no one relaly has one...i barely see them around, rather get a 16g or a 20g, not inbetween..

t3 is a tiny,
t3/t4 too big for what you need.

4G64T
05-31-2003, 07:13 PM
what about using nitrous to spool a bigger turbo quicker if you were to do that which one would you use?