PDA

View Full Version : car inspection in TX

stan6199
05-18-2003, 12:40 AM
Is it illegal to have a CAI and Muffler in TX? If I have these two, can I pass the emission test or I am not supposed to have a CAI and a muffler.

krazienluv10
05-18-2003, 01:05 AM
i dont think you will pass the visual test

stan6199
05-18-2003, 07:23 AM
i dont think you will pass the visual test
every one has a CAI, they need to go back stock intake before they go to car inspection?

JiP
05-18-2003, 03:52 PM
Is it illegal to have a CAI and Muffler in TX? If I have these two, can I pass the emission test or I am not supposed to have a CAI and a muffler.

You should pass the emissions sniffer, but I have no idea about the visual. I passed emissions test with no catalytic converters on thecar and a cai. But I've never had anyone do a visual test in my 7 years of inspections. So I dont know.

peanotation
05-18-2003, 03:55 PM
here in cali, the strickest smog test place in the world, the visual inspection would skin you alive on the CAI. i had to put my stock airbox back in real quick, it was just hanging there, but as long as it's there you're ok.

stan6199
05-18-2003, 04:22 PM
here in cali, the strickest smog test place in the world, the visual inspection would skin you alive on the CAI. i had to put my stock airbox back in real quick, it was just hanging there, but as long as it's there you're ok.
Your lower strut bar is for 95-99 Eclipse? Like this one?
http://www.creverything.com/shock-absorber...enzostruts.html ('http://www.creverything.com/shock-absorbers/cr-tenzostruts.html')

TJC
05-18-2003, 10:59 PM
If the intake is CARB legal with the EO# on it that's made for you car, you should be ok. As for the muffler, if it is ONLY the muffler and you haven't touched the rest of the exhaust system like headers or catalytic converters then you have no problem. Mufflers do NOT affect the emission levels at all. The only thing a muffler does is suppress sound level.

Good luck on your smog test.

Also note (this may or may NOT be the same for your state) that in California, DMV is now making some older cars go to a "TEST ONLY" smog testing center. These types of test centers do not fix smog problems if you do not pass. They also cost more to get a smog test at these designated smog centers; damn govt. using another sneaky ploy to get more out of the consumers again! ARG!!!

krazienluv10
05-19-2003, 02:38 AM
shit so i have to take off my headers then huh???... cant i just hide it with the heat shield... but then again i might not pass the sniffer.... hmmm