PDA

View Full Version : Removing my factory clearcoat

sd2775906
08-27-2002, 02:06 PM
I'm going to remove my factory clearcoat and replace it with another color. I'm thinking purple clearcoat over my dover pearl white paint. Any suggestions for another color? Any ideas on a cost too??

Thanks

Auto-9
08-27-2002, 02:36 PM
Hmmm...I dunno. I was at the dealership earlier today right after classes and I saw a really cool what I thought was a silver Galant like mine...until I shifted my position. It kind of turns blue-ish and purple...think titanium or Robocop. You might want to see if someone can do that...I think it looks awesome. It's more subtle than the color shifting paint used on the Mustang Cobras.

pinoyesv6
08-27-2002, 04:02 PM
its really easy to remove the factory clearcoat. just wash your car with some kind of harsh chemicals or some kind of really strong soap. like idustrial strength soap.

Galant 2NR
08-27-2002, 05:51 PM
What you want is a pearl sprayed over your factory white. Blue or sunset pearl looks great on a white car. Red will make your car look pink so watch out. Purple looks good too.
Don't worry about "removing" your factory clearcoat. When the shop preps the car for the pearl, they will have to color-sand down the factory clear before spraying the new clear mixed with pearl. Expect to pay a good amount as the entire car has to be prepped, taped and sprayed.