PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer/ Odometer incorrect

TitaniumZ
05-19-2003, 11:05 AM
Just took a long trip and fpound that for every 103 miles on the odometer, I've only travelled 100. This also means my speedo reads about 2 mph fast at 65 mph (actual 63)

This means I'll hit the 36000 warranty at 35000 actual.

Anyone know how to fix this? Or do I need to see the dealer.

Auto-9
05-19-2003, 11:45 AM
Hmm...I dunno...are you still on your stock wheels?

pinoyesv6
05-19-2003, 11:49 AM
your speedo and odometer will never be 100% accurate. it can be off by a lil but not alot.

the main factor, your tires.

the circumference of your tires are constantly changing. they are getting worn down as u drive. tires can slip etc etc.

the first thing i'd look at is your tire size, make sure that they are teh same size as the tires that came original to the car. if u got aftermarket wheels that might be the cause. the tire pressure is another thing to look at.

as for getting it fixed, unless it gets worse i wouldn't worry about it. the error in the odometer is seen better in the long range. and you'd have to prove to the dealer that its off. you can hand the car to your dealer and they might drive it for like 5 miles but they won't really care about the .001 difference in the odometer. if you'd want them to see that 3 mile diference you'd have to let them drive ur car for a while, and im pretty sure thats something you probably wouldn't want them to do.

as for the spedometer, i wouldn't fix that either. i see it as a safety blanket. you will be going slower than you think you are going so you won't be speeding as much.

Fishboy55
05-19-2003, 01:41 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>your speedo and odometer will never be 100% accurate. it can be off by a lil but not alot.

the main factor, your tires.

the tire pressure is another thing to look at.</div>

Somebody is gonna have to show me that having an under or overinflated tire causes it to roll further or less as far enough to throw the odometer off. I was in agreement with the tire size causing the problem in accuracy of the speedometer. But tire pressure?? Tell us more Mr. Science.

TitaniumZ
05-19-2003, 01:48 PM
Car is new (1 month old) on original rims and tires. My only thought is that the wheel/tire combo on the GTZ is slightly smaller diameter than the ES/LS, and they use the same speedo package.

When I bought the car, my trade was at 39,900 miles, and the salesman made a big deal about it "having to be less than 40,000 miles" or the trade in value would be "greatly" reduced. And though I don't expect to have to have warranty service, I doubt I'd get it if I were a single mile over 36K.

BlueESV6
05-19-2003, 02:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TitaniumZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>.... Â*And though I don't expect to have to have warranty service, I doubt I'd get it if I were a single mile over 36K.</div>

You would be surprised. I called my dealer early on about the brakes and I went in after the 36K was up and they honored the warranty. The reason was I did not live near the dealership and had to drive to get there... plus they could not squeeze my car in the day I called and I had to wait a week (used my car for work). Hence they did not fret over the milage being beyond the 36K.

As far as the odo, try using the mile markers on the highway over a 10 mile distance... you can also clock your car going 60mph on the mile markers. Should be 1 mile=60 seconds @ 60 mph... this will give you an idea of how far off your speedo is. Let the dealer fix it if it's real far off as it sounds like it's under warranty. Good Luck!

pinoyesv6
05-19-2003, 02:45 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>Somebody is gonna have to show me that having an under or overinflated tire causes it to roll further or less as far enough to throw the odometer off. I was in agreement with the tire size causing the problem in accuracy of the speedometer. But tire pressure?? Tell us more Mr. Science.</div>

when you over inflate the tires, the center of the tire moves outward from the center of the wheel. or in a better way to see, the center cups outward. when the tire is like that, mostly the center of the tire is touchign the ground. thats why the tires wear out more in the center when u have over inflated tires.
http://www.goodyeartires.com/img/over.gif

but back on topic. since the center cups outward and the tire touches the ground most with that, the actual circumference of the tire can change. ov course you can't see it in a short period of time but in the long run you can. but with this case this wouldn't be the problem since it would make the odometer say u travelled less than u really did.

in your case it could be under inflated tires. i actually experienced this first hand a few months ago. when your tires are under inflated, the center tends to cup inward. this making the tire contact with the ground more around the side walls. this again changes the radius of the wheel and can affect ur speedo.
http://www.goodyeartires.com/img/under.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TitaniumZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>Car is new (1 month old) on original rims and tires. Â*My only thought is that the wheel/tire combo on the GTZ is slightly smaller diameter than the ES/LS, and they use the same speedo package.
</div>

on the i4 the tires original were P195/65 R15 89T
but im assuming u have a v6 since u said GTZ and the tires for those were P205/55 R16 89H

the DE ES and LS i4's had 15x6 inch rims while the ES LS V6 GTZ had 16x6 inch rims

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlueESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>As far as the odo, try using the mile markers on the highway over a 10 mile distance... you can also clock your car going 60mph on the mile markers. Should be 1 mile=60 seconds @ 60 mph... this will give you an idea of how far off your speedo is. Let the dealer fix it if it's real far off as it sounds like it's under warranty. Good Luck!</div>

tirerack has a page on how to do so. uhm they have a page about it. they even show yu how long it takes u to do a mile @ different speeds. but i really do recommend doing this with a friend in the car. you or the friend can drive while the other one monitors the distance and the time take

here's another idea. i haven't really tested this nor do know the answer but it could be a possibility. i haven't had a chance to drive my car for a while in reverse but maybe sum1 might know if the odometer works when u are in reverse. meaning the odometer moves forward when u are driving in reverse. i don't drive in reverse for long periods of time so i wouldn't know it. but yea maybe it could just be factoriing u driving in reverse.

but if ur really paraniod take it to the dealer just to see what they say.

Auto-9
05-19-2003, 11:31 PM
here's another idea. i haven't really tested this nor do know the answer but it could be a possibility. i haven't had a chance to drive my car for a while in reverse but maybe sum1 might know if the odometer works when u are in reverse. meaning the odometer moves forward when u are driving in reverse. i don't drive in reverse for long periods of time so i wouldn't know it. but yea maybe it could just be factoriing u driving in reverse.

Here was my experience, since I'm the reverse pro. When backing up without giving it gas, it registered no change in speed despite how fast I was rolling downhill, and neither did it register a change in speed when going downhill fowards either. But, as many can attest to, when I sprayed nitrous in reverse (yes, I really did it, it wasn't a joke) I topped out at 43 mph because I saw it. My car probably wasn't a special model that this would only work with, but who knows...we all know about the various 8gs having/missing the governor that allows great than 127 mph speeds.

FinalLast
05-20-2003, 12:57 PM

Here was my experience, since I'm the reverse pro. When backing up without giving it gas, it registered no change in speed despite how fast I was rolling downhill, and neither did it register a change in speed when going downhill fowards either. But, as many can attest to, when I sprayed nitrous in reverse (yes, I really did it, it wasn't a joke) I topped out at 43 mph because I saw it. My car probably wasn't a special model that this would only work with, but who knows...we all know about the various 8gs having/missing the governor that allows great than 127 mph speeds.

reverse at 43 mph
wow

and u sprayed nitrous

you must be one of the few ppl who would do that.