PDA

View Full Version : Help with intake mod

jdeprima
05-23-2003, 12:11 PM
I have a '99 GTZ, but I have no experience with modifications. The only thing I have done myself is clean the throttle body. I keep seeing posts on here about intake mods. How easy is this mod? I haven't done much work under the hood, but I'm not an idiot either. Any tutorials on how to do this, or can anyone help me out? I would greatly appreciate it.

Jeff
05-23-2003, 12:14 PM
here you go: http://tgcny.galants.com/8thgen/intake.htm ('http://tgcny.galants.com/8thgen/intake.htm')

jdeprima
05-23-2003, 02:08 PM
Thanks. It looks like that is just turning the box upside-down, is that right? I am talking more about the kit. Is that the cold air intake that I'm thinking of, where you actually replace the hose that runs from the air filter to the throttle body?

Jeff
05-23-2003, 02:57 PM
oh my bad...misunderstood you. for a CAI, you can find one on Ebay (search for CP intake) or find one for the 3rd gen eclipse. I ordered mine off of ebay, so concerning the others, i'd say ask around. installing it is easy...you'll get instructions with your intake. try a search for "CAI"

jdeprima
05-23-2003, 03:28 PM
Thanks. But on the other mod, is it really just turning the box upside down and leaving the filter exposed? I just got my oil changed today and replaced the filter, but nothing special, just whatever Jiffy Lube put in there.

Ryostyle
05-29-2003, 04:36 PM
regarding the turning the airbox upside down. I rode around with that for about 4 months and liked it. later I just went with a maf adapter. If you want a to run with the airbox upside down a good thing I found to do is Use a k&n, I think the part number is 2013 or something like that. Also on the 4 sides of the filter I placed double-stick tape, the thick white kind. It gave the filter a really snug fit and kept it from popping out on bumpy roads and I never got the engine check light. also its important for you to unplug your battery for at least half an hour so that your ecu can adjust for the air change. Thats about it. It works great.

pinoyesv6
05-29-2003, 10:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ryostyle)</div><div class='quotemain'>also its important for you to unplug your battery for at least half an hour so that your ecu can adjust for the air change. Thats about it. It works great.</div>

nope u don't need to unplug the battery for half an hour. thats way too long. when putting back my injen intake back on, i forgot to plug back the MAS. the car ran but ran funny, and i pulled an SES. opened the hood, disconnected the battery, counted to 10 and hooked it back on. the ecu resetted and i was back in business

Ryostyle
05-30-2003, 03:34 AM
oh okay, cool. Lesson learned

Fishboy55
05-30-2003, 05:00 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ryostyle)</div><div class='quotemain'>also its important for you to unplug your battery for at least half an hour so that your ecu can adjust for the air change. Thats about it. It works great.</div>

nope u don't need to unplug the battery for half an hour. thats way too long. when putting back my injen intake back on, i forgot to plug back the MAS. the car ran but ran funny, and i pulled an SES. opened the hood, disconnected the battery, counted to 10 and hooked it back on. the ecu resetted and i was back in business</div>
Actually all you did was clear the SES light, you didn't reset your ECU. Because of the UPS circuitry in the ECU, a reset of the computer takes roughly 15 minutes to wipe out the parameters that are in there. There's circuitry that keeps enough current flowing to preserve the data in RAM for about 10 or 15 minutes.

toc8g
05-31-2003, 03:07 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ryostyle)</div><div class='quotemain'>also its important for you to unplug your battery for at least half an hour so that your ecu can adjust for the air change. Thats about it. It works great.</div>

nope u don't need to unplug the battery for half an hour. thats way too long. when putting back my injen intake back on, i forgot to plug back the MAS. the car ran but ran funny, and i pulled an SES. opened the hood, disconnected the battery, counted to 10 and hooked it back on. the ecu resetted and i was back in business</div>
Actually all you did was clear the SES light, you didn't reset your ECU. Because of the UPS circuitry in the ECU, a reset of the computer takes roughly 15 minutes to wipe out the parameters that are in there. There's circuitry that keeps enough current flowing to preserve the data in RAM for about 10 or 15 minutes.</div>

reset or cleared the ecu,...the SES light was cleared reset by disconnecting the battery. Bottom line is no need for tech info the battery does not need to be reset for for 30 minutes. On my 2000 Fed Spec the ECU would reset after ten minutes on my 2002 it takes longer like Chip said...it takes about 15-20 tops. I have been reseting the damn ecu since 4/2000 this is just my personal experience. no offense chip...honest :wink:

Ryostyle
05-31-2003, 07:39 AM
umm.....10 seconds, 20 mins, 30 mins..... :?: :?: :?: oh nevermind...... :roll: Basically do whatever you gotta to reset it...however long it may be. The only thing that bothered me is having to re-input my radio presets....lol. Watch out if you don't have your mitsubishi unlock code. The first time I did this, I realized they didn't sell my card with the unlock code. I called like 5 dealerships, and finally found this chick and hit on her til she gave me the unlock code over the phone. So on a side note, don't give up if the first dealership won't give you the code....call around, find a chick and spit that game.....my bay area people know what I'm talkin about....or do they :?:

Jet Black
06-04-2003, 10:33 AM
How exactly do you input the code? And would you mind sharing what the code is?

I have 99 ES, w/stock cd player

Auto-9
06-04-2003, 01:19 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet BLaK)</div><div class='quotemain'>How exactly do you input the code? Â*And would you mind sharing what the code is?

I have 99 ES, w/stock cd player</div>

The code is different for every car obviously...otherwise the thieves would just get 1 code to keep stealing radios. As for how to input it...I forget. I think you raise the number with the up and down tuning arrows, and push audio to enter all 4 numbers once you're done. I haven't done it in 2 years, you might want to ask the dealership https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Jet Black
06-04-2003, 03:05 PM
makes sense. thanks https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

leadfoot
06-04-2003, 09:37 PM
this works the same for the l4 right

pinoyesv6
06-04-2003, 09:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(leadfoot)</div><div class='quotemain'>this works the same for the l4 right</div>

for the i4's in most cases you are gonna have to remove the bottom part of the airbox. many say that it will work even if you don't remove the airbox, just angle everything right but i think its easier if you remove the bottom part of the airbox

leadfoot
06-05-2003, 02:49 PM
i did mine today in about 10 min after unscrewing the bolts i just took out the bottom half of the intake then fliped it around. i turned on the car and it was real loud. after that i went to pep boys and got K&N filter for it it made it sound alot smoother but i didnt see any power gains.