PDA

View Full Version : a question on brakes for Manybrew...

Tiller
08-27-2002, 08:00 PM
I'm assuming you are a mechanic at a dealer, so this would best be answered by yourself...

Are the brakes from the V6 Galant, and V6 Eclipse interchangeable...? I am wanting to get the Baer track kit but they will not sell it to me casue it's for the Galant... They referred me to another dealer...

So i assume they work, they just didn't want to sell them to me cause i do not have an Eclipse... so i'm gonna call and tell them i have an eclipse and be done with it...

Thanks...

Auto-9
08-27-2002, 09:00 PM
I think they're actually different. Read it on a post on Club 3G somewhere in a post long, long ago.

pinoyesv6
08-27-2002, 09:14 PM
they are different but they should share enough that u would be able to use the kit....i said should

manybrews
08-27-2002, 10:01 PM
actually, they probably do bolt right up.

80 percent of the two cars are totally identical.

im not 100 percent sure, though. lemme check tomorrow (i hope i remember)

TJC
08-27-2002, 10:02 PM
Well, what do all the other companies say like AEM, Brembo, Axis, Powerslot, EBC, etc. If they use the same parts for both Eclipse's and Galant's, chances are the Baer's are the same.

Now also depends if it's a OEM replacement or Big Brake kit because the relocation might also make another difference.

And one more thing, I think they changed from 2 piston calipers to 1 piston in '02 but don't quote me on that and not sure if it makes a difference also.

pinoyesv6
08-27-2002, 10:05 PM
Well, what do all the other companies say like AEM, Brembo, Axis, Powerslot, EBC, etc. If they use the same parts for both Eclipse's and Galant's, chances are the Baer's are the same.

Now also depends if it's a OEM replacement or Big Brake kit because the relocation might also make another difference.

And one more thing, I think they changed from 2 piston calipers to 1 piston in '02 but don't quote me on that and not sure if it makes a difference also.

actually the caliper on his galant doesn't matter since the track kit includes the calipers. as for the relocation, i know the big rotor upgrade for the aem relocates the oem caliper and works for the galant. as for the baer kit, not really sure where the new caliper would bolt up but it should bolt up in the stock location probably with some kind of bracket im guessing

Tiller
08-27-2002, 10:06 PM
actually, they probably do bolt right up.

80 percent of the two cars are totally identical.

im not 100 percent sure, though. lemme check tomorrow (i hope i remember)

ok, i appreciate it man... I just don't want to go and spend 1200 bones to find out they won't work without modifications...

Thanks man...

Tiller
08-27-2002, 10:08 PM

Baers track kit comes with a whole new 2 piston caliper... from the "looks" of the 2 cars, the Eclipse and Galant share the exact same brakes...

TJC
08-27-2002, 10:10 PM
actually the caliper on his galant doesn't matter since the track kit includes the calipers. as for the relocation, i know the big rotor upgrade for the aem relocates the oem caliper and works for the galant. as for the baer kit, not really sure where the new caliper would bolt up but it should bolt up in the stock location probably with some kind of bracket im guessing

Well, that's just it, I don't know if b/c of the change if they actually messed with the mounting hole locations or they remain the same as before. Just wanted to let everyone know and keep all bases covered..... just in case. Of course that would be a stupid move on Mitsu's part if they had to retool another design.

And all this time we've been using Eclipse brake parts, you'd think if there were any problems someone would have brought them up by now. Hmmmm......

manybrews
08-27-2002, 10:11 PM
the reason for my thinking is that ALL the cars basically have the same setup.

the mouting holes for the calipers on most of mitsus cars are the same.

the single piston caliper is on the smaller 4 cylinder cars, and the dual piston caliper is on the v-6s.

i do know that those two can be swapped easily, as ive actually had 2 different galants come from the factory with one incorrect caliper mounted on it.

the only difference i can think of would be the master cylinder, or maybe the vacuum assist booster.

like i said, ill try to remember to look tomorrow, but im buying a house, so my mind is a bit side-tracked.

TJC
08-27-2002, 10:15 PM
the reason for my thinking is that ALL the cars basically have the same setup.

the mouting holes for the calipers on most of mitsus cars are the same.

the single piston caliper is on the smaller 4 cylinder cars, and the dual piston caliper is on the v-6s.

i do know that those two can be swapped easily, as ive actually had 2 different galants come from the factory with one incorrect caliper mounted on it.

the only difference i can think of would be the master cylinder, or maybe the vacuum assist booster.

like i said, ill try to remember to look tomorrow, but im buying a house, so my mind is a bit side-tracked.

Oooh! Now that's interesting. Upgrade single piston to double piston is cheaper than 2k big brake systems. But you are right about maybe not having enough pressure for the upgrade.

Tiller
08-27-2002, 11:49 PM

congrats on the new house...! best investment you'll ever make...! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

manybrews
08-28-2002, 03:43 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiller)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>

like i said, ill try to remember to look tomorrow, but im buying a house, so my mind is a bit side-tracked.</div>

congrats on the new house...! best investment you'll ever make...! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif</div>

its my second house (i forgot how much i hate the bullshit part of looking for one and actually buying it)...

but im not posting because of that.. like an idiot, i TOTALLY spaced it out today..
sorry.. i swear ill try to remember tomorrow.

miragal
08-28-2002, 04:52 PM
They don't fit if your using the Galant stock wheels.

pinoyesv6
08-28-2002, 06:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(miragal)</div><div class='quotemain'>They don't fit if your using the Galant stock wheels.</div>

yup² but i bet they'll look just right inside of Tiller's brand new 18 inch racing harts

pinoyesv6
08-29-2002, 10:59 AM
hey tiller make sure u get the ones for the eclipse. i was reading on club 3g and yea if baer gets like 7 more eclipse orders...they'll make a rear kit to match ur fronts...and yea order now and for next few weeks u'll be at the edge of your seat waiting for them to make it and build it lol

Tiller
09-03-2002, 01:01 PM
any word on this from you Manybrews... i forgot to PM you to remind you... :oops:

manybrews
09-04-2002, 06:40 PM
well, heres what i found.

i only used a 2000 v6 eclipse and 2000 v6 galant to check, but heres the deal....

they DO have the exact same calipers and rotors, with exact matching numbers.

however, it does appear that both the cars have new numbers for the calipers about mid-year. the good news is that both the new numbers matched also.

i have no idea what the difference is in the calipers, but rest assured they are identical.
if you want more specific data, just post what you want and ill get it.

BlueESV6
09-04-2002, 09:00 PM
I wonder if the master cylinder PN's are the same also ... if so... the system pressure is probably the same!

:!: :?

manybrews
09-04-2002, 11:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlueESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>I wonder if the master cylinder PN's are the same also ... if so... the system pressure is probably the same!

:!: Â* :?</div>
didnt check the master, as it would appear he wished to replace the entire brake system with an aftermarket one anyway.

i would bet they are.

Tiller
09-04-2002, 11:35 PM
great new man... sound like we have a winner...

the Baer kit comes with a 2 piston cailper only and is designed to be used with the stock master cyclinder... so no need to upgrade / replace that...

now if you went for the Brembo then you would need to upgrade...

the Stoptech kit also allows the use of the stock MC, as they match their piston sizes to work specifically with the car...

thanks again...!

TJC
11-07-2002, 12:07 AM
well, heres what i found.

i only used a 2000 v6 eclipse and 2000 v6 galant to check, but heres the deal....

they DO have the exact same calipers and rotors, with exact matching numbers.

however, it does appear that both the cars have new numbers for the calipers about mid-year. the good news is that both the new numbers matched also.

i have no idea what the difference is in the calipers, but rest assured they are identical.
if you want more specific data, just post what you want and ill get it.

manybrews: with the change of the calipers from twin-piston to single piston, can you tell me if there was also a change in the part numbers for the front knuckle where the caliper bolts on to? This would solidify my theories. Sorry but the old thread is no longer here.

manybrews
11-09-2002, 08:18 AM
manybrews: with the change of the calipers from twin-piston to single piston, can you tell me if there was also a change in the part numbers for the front knuckle where the caliper bolts on to? This would solidify my theories. Sorry but the old thread is no longer here.
i dont think so.
i dont know for sure, but it looks 100 percent identical.
i cant check until monday, so you may wish to PM me for a reminder.

TJC
11-09-2002, 06:15 PM
Thanks manybrews, will PM you to remind you. I also got the go ahead from StopTech to come in for a test fit to find out for sure too but that's going to have to wait until I get my wheels. Just can't fit those bad boys under the stock ones, hehe.