PDA

View Full Version : 14b Rebuld?

seth98esT
05-24-2003, 09:15 PM
i just got a 14b for $75 from a guy at the b2n meet(he actually works for mitsu and had 3 14bs for sale hehe) but i was wondering how you know when it needs a rebuild. the turbines spin freely, but i dont know about shaft play, can someone please explain it and tell me how to check it? i feel like a big n00b, i should know this already :lauging:

ken inn
05-25-2003, 02:08 AM
the shafts spin on oil, so there will be a bit of play side to side. if there is play in and out, then you can have problems. also, look at the turbine wheel, and see if it is a very light brown. if not, you may have seal leakage. tape off the oil return, and fill it with oil, if it leaks out into the turbine housing, the seals are bad. check for cracks in the turbine housing, ALL t/e/l 14b's will crack.

HiperSilver
05-25-2003, 10:59 PM
the shaft connecting the turbine or exhuast wheel should move back and forth. if it does, screw a rebuild, you will have to get a new cartidge and housing. It isnt all that easy. better off getting another decent 14b

seth98esT
05-25-2003, 11:18 PM
well i spin the shaft and it doesnt move back and forth at all, ill have to fill it w/ oil and see if it leaks

ok when i hold on to the shaft and try to move it, it moves a hair, but not much. is this bad?

it only moves when i try from the the turbo side, not from the side in the turbine housing

o yah and its up and down, not in and out....

AND im not seeing any visible cracks on the inside or outside of the turbine housing

HiperSilver
05-27-2003, 10:39 PM
typical...if it moves a hair up and down you should be alright....pretty much a normal functioning 14b...itll do the job fine