PDA

View Full Version : all motor progress???

Dukeplaya31
08-28-2002, 12:51 AM
My goal is to pump out every ounce of power that the 4g64 can produce. I intend to stick with my all motor idea until my car is RESPECTABLY fast in the 1/4 mile.

I know that there are without a doubt a few of you out there that are SERIOUSLY modding n/a. I posted this same topic a long time ago on the old site. I just would like to know what progress you guys have made. Track Times? Chassis Dynos?

Now I would like to keep this post from turning into a bunch of useless replies regarding your opinions of turbo v.s. n/a v.s. n2o. Let's just keep this thread strictly for those of you that have more than just that "intake" and "exhaust". You know what I mean.

Any replies/updates on your 4g64 projects are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Joe-

TJC
08-28-2002, 01:07 AM
Hey Joe, glad to see that you are going all out. Did you mean that you're doing it by way of NA? no FI? Sounds like a lot of custom PnP work. If so, would pulling all the stops mean it's strictly for drag and high compression to the point of aviation gas too? or do you mean something that can also serve as your daily driver.

Just want to steer the posts in the right direction so that's why I'm asking :wink:

2True
08-28-2002, 01:41 AM
Sup Joe.... Wes here. Besides the usuals (CAI, Exhaust) I had a full cat-back made that is nearly pefectly straight. No Cat on that by the way. I then went ahead and added some low friction pulleys and an AEM Adj cam (mostly for future mods) plus a Port & polish from some guy I still not sure I trust. I gauge those mods 10-25 HP, respectively. I am waiting to compliment the cat-back with new headers and the Cam gear with a new shaft. Those things are currently on order:cry:

On the old board I was talking about building a Quad-Throttle Body for the 4G64 with Matt at Vision and RPW. As great as that sounded, it was unrealistic for me at this time (I still need a daily driver). And RPW needs your manifold for about 3 months... :roll: . A larger fuel rale and injectors would also be a must, most likely a stand alone ignition system too. An estimated 75% Pony increase is temting though, isn't it?

I am also going to throw in that Talon 5-speed tranny I have in the garage right now, Not till Spring however, it IS Alaska. :wink:

Hey guys, what do you expect the gains will be from the Stage1 upgrade from Vision on the 4G64? Is it reasonable to look into a lower compression rate or is it a useless idea?

Wes

Jesse
08-28-2002, 11:45 AM
Lower compression would lower your RPM's and just give you more room for boost I though. If you want to stay NA, you should get 12:1, 12.5:1 or be really daring and go 13:1 so that you can get more compressions, more hp, and rev a little higher.

Remove the balance shafts for another 15-25 hp. Rotating mass = loss of HP. Only downside is more vibration, but there's ways to minimize vibration too.

g96nt
08-28-2002, 05:07 PM
if you guys need it.. I have a '96 intake manifold here

ship it to RPW if you want.... I'm in

Jesse
08-29-2002, 12:50 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(g96nt)</div><div class='quotemain'>if you guys need it.. I have a '96 intake manifold here

ship it to RPW if you want.... I'm in</div>

huh? you're in??? what do you want us do to with the manifold, get it ported or what?

I plan on having my TB bored out.

96TEXASgalant
08-29-2002, 01:21 PM
I have a 7g with a CAI and a 2.25 no-CAT back. and other small irrelevent mods.
1st run= 16.7s and a .751 r/t
2nd run 16.8s and a 1.1xx r/t

I spun the tires too much on the launch(i'm trying to get my launch rpms correct) and I kept the heavy 18's on too. I will get all the exact #'s up later. I'm planning on going to the track this weekend and work on a few things.
I want to keep it as a daily driver but are always looking for ideas and any assistance.

96TEXASgalant
08-29-2002, 01:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(96TEXASgalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have a 7g with a CAI and a 2.25 no-CAT back. and other small irrelevent mods.

these runs were b4 the CAI, with a 1/2 tank o'gas,rims, and sub Â*
1st run= 16.7s and a .751 r/t
2nd run Â*16.8s and a 1.1xx r/t

I spun the tires too much on the launch(i'm trying to get my launch rpms right) and I kept the heavy 18's on too. I will get all the exact #'s up later. I'm planning on going to the track this weekend and work on a few things. Â*
I want to keep it as a daily driver but are always looking for ideas and any assistance.
I will update..J</div>

2True
08-29-2002, 02:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jesse)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(g96nt)</div><div class='quotemain'>if you guys need it.. I have a '96 intake manifold here

ship it to RPW if you want.... I'm in</div>

huh? you're in??? what do you want us do to with the manifold, get it ported or what?
I plan on having my TB bored out.</div>

I think he was referring to the Quad thottle body, Jesse. RPW needs a manifold for 3 months to make the Quad.

Thanx for the offer Craig! I just can't afford it right now unfortunately.
If any of you 7G guys are interested though, I can still make it happen. Should run about $1500 for it to get into your car. That's with the discount you get for being the TEST car.
Should take it from 140HP to say 245HP. :shock:

2True
08-29-2002, 02:57 PM
[quote=g96nt]if you guys need it.. I have a '96 intake manifold here

ship it to RPW if you want.... I'm in

I plan on having my TB bored out.

People always ignore my posts for some reason.... :doubleup: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif
I think he was referring to the Quad thottle body, Jesse. RPW needs a manifold for 3 months to make the Quad.

Thanx for the offer Craig! I just can't afford it right now unfortunately.
If any of you 7G guys are interested though, I can still make it happen. Should run about $1500 for it to get into your car. That's with the discount you get for being the TEST car.
Should take it from 140HP to say 245HP. :shock:

Jesse
08-29-2002, 05:01 PM
96TEXASGALANT

With my 18"s on and the same exact setup you have, no cat w/ 2.5" and intake, I drop at 2200-2500rpm. No peel out, if anything, it's a little sqeak.

Make sure you rev up to this number and not down. I made the mistake of being at 2700 so I was easing off to get down to 2400 and the lots dropped, so I pressed back on it when it dropped down and it slowed me down, have it at 2k, then before dropping, go up a little and drop. It'll help.

bstnsportsfan
08-29-2002, 11:03 PM
Just to give you guys an idea, I have a Stock, automatic 98 Galant. I ran a 18.363 last friday. That was...light turns green, I hit the gas and didn't let off till I past the line.

For the guy that ran 16s with 18s, nice run! 2 seconds faster than I did https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif Now just lose the 18" chrome rims, go back to stock when you go to the track.

Gir
08-30-2002, 11:38 PM
If you are planning to stay NA, you also may be interested in using a different head gasket to raise your compression further. The port and polish work will help out as well. The MIVEC head swap would be beneficial, or in general any headswap would work out to your benefit. The DOHC will allow your engine to breathe better. Advanced timing tricks will add additional horsepower, but will require fine tuning and LOTS of TLC with the gauges. DO NOT attempt advanced timing until you have all your gauges and you actually know what the hell you are looking at. A detonated engine is no fun and it has happened before, so don't think it can't happen to you.

2True
08-30-2002, 11:58 PM
A MIVEC Head Swap? I have heard it before but never really thought if it as a viable option. The MIVEC is the 6a12 engine from Japan correct?
Would it fit correctly on the rest of the 4G64?

I am not planning on staying NA (Turbo?) but I have come to the conclusion that a motor swap may be a better choice financially. Denver's swap with the 4g63t was tight, and VR6 is telling me he could get me a 6a12TT engine from PI for around $3000. Would it be worth the cash is my question?..

If those headers from Vision push 22HP like Kevin is saying then that's a pretty significant increase for the money I'd say.

g96nt
08-31-2002, 11:52 AM
just a quick note: 4g64's Were *NOT* intended to REv much higher Than 7k.... doing so.. *WILL* seperate your piston from Rod... it's just a matter of time

I'm quite weary of such head-swaps...

our motors are not as *square* As we'd All like to think..

however.. if there is a set of "other" Stuff Wen includes.... go for it..

(rods, and Whatnot)

also.. Joe I'm going To Seekonk tomorrow... you in?

I may Also race...give me a call if you go
978 387 8034

Dukeplaya31
08-31-2002, 11:29 PM
I'm going Craig...looking forward to seeing your galant again in action.I'll come over to ya if I can find ya! I think I still remember what you look like.
I'll look for you car either way. Hope you race though!

Dukeplaya31
09-01-2002, 12:13 AM
Just to give you guys an idea, I have a Stock, automatic 98 Galant. I ran a 18.363 last friday. That was...light turns green, I hit the gas and didn't let off till I past the line.

For the guy that ran 16s with 18s, nice run! 2 seconds faster than I did https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif Now just lose the 18" chrome rims, go back to stock when you go to the track.

I also have a 98..I "recently" took my 98 ES to the track down in NH. My car isn't stock,however I've had MANY troubles with bad tuning and shitty transmissions. I've detonated one engine about 4-5 months back (previous owner beat the shit out of it, I added insult to injury) and currently have my car pretty much stock. I'm ready to build it to the expectations that I've have. My goal (agree with it or not) will be to get into mid 13's or God willing low 13's with this 4g64. With the help of RPW and my former sponsership making custom parts for me...I beleive this can happen. To answer the question above, I want to maintain this car as a daily driver, a family car with class that can turn heads and hang with the fastest on the roads. I beleive if the internals of the 4g64 are built up then it will be able to withstand the hp that it wasn't originally designed for. Now I know some of you may tell me to just swap the engine or have a custom turbo kit made to more easily get me into the 13's. True...but this is much more challenging.

Back when my motor/tranny were in very good condition, I ran a 15.1 at 90.12.
My modications at that time were "basic" bolt ons and a rebuilt transmission .I stripped the back seat out and removed the right headlight for more air to enter . The front rims were removed and I had a decent reaction time...can't remember without the slip in front of me. I nearly got into the 14's with a auto tranny. I was quite pleased. Now I'm looking forward to next year when I take this car back to the track with the 6 grand I have waiting to dump under the hood. I will keep you guys posted on my times and chassis dynos. I will also be writing a faq on the aem cam gear and correct tuning for it.

How about white ghost and alukard??? I thought I remember you guys running pretty decent times with your 4g64's...

96TEXASgalant
09-01-2002, 05:47 PM
Well I went to the track Friday and had a good night.
If you don't know, 96 5-speed, 18's, 2.25 no-cat back, and CAI.
I took my sub-box out, cleaned out the throttle body, and added 2 cans of octane boost.
1st run- R/T: 1.356 1/4 mile: [email protected].
2nd run i lowered the tire preesure 5 lbs.
2nd- R/T: .936 1/4 mile: [email protected]
3rd- R/T: .758 1/4 mile: [email protected]
after lowering the pressure the tires didn't spin a bit.
I was launching at around 4 grand with no tire spin.
I didn't think I would run below 16 anytime soon but I did it and I'm satisfied with it. Still waiting on th headers.
Oh yea the 15 sec. run was againts a CRX. I thought I was going to get blown away by the little bastard but I was watching him lag behind the whole time https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif Just to make you guys feel good.

TJC
09-02-2002, 04:58 AM
Well I went to the track Friday and had a good night.
If you don't know, 96 5-speed, 18's, 2.25 no-cat back, and CAI.
I took my sub-box out, cleaned out the throttle body, and added 2 cans of octane boost.
1st run- R/T: 1.356 1/4 mile: [email protected].
2nd run i lowered the tire preesure 5 lbs.
2nd- R/T: .936 1/4 mile: [email protected]
3rd- R/T: .758 1/4 mile: [email protected]
after lowering the pressure the tires didn't spin a bit.
I was launching at around 4 grand with no tire spin.
I didn't think I would run below 16 anytime soon but I did it and I'm satisfied with it. Still waiting on th headers.
Oh yea the 15 sec. run was againts a CRX. I thought I was going to get blown away by the little bastard but I was watching him lag behind the whole time https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif Just to make you guys feel good.

Wow, just bolt-ons... that's pretty good. 18's? Are they light? Extra mass to get moving. And a nice bonus w/ the CRX behind you the all the way, sweet!

96TEXASgalant
09-03-2002, 07:46 AM
My rims are Painted and baked chrome not dipped, that's what the guy at the rim shop said. I'm sure I could use a set of lighter wheels though. Lets get those Headers and really make some trouble!!!!!!

krazienluv10
05-28-2003, 12:54 AM
im thinking of going all motor right now too, maybe im just hard headed and to lazy to switch motors, i feel like i bought this motor now i have to make use of what i bought... im curious what are the first couple of steps in going all motor???... i mean what do i need to buy and do after buy all the bolt on stuff???
thanks

IllestGalant
05-28-2003, 11:27 PM
just to add my 2 cents, the 13 seconds is not far from believable at all. I am in the process of overhauling one of my 4G64's. I plan on running quicker than 13. laugh all you want, and guess what, I am sticking with the single cam, laugh even harder, but flow benches don't lie!
see the website for some beginning process. much more to come.