PDA

View Full Version : Clearance Problems

Andoy
05-27-2003, 08:06 AM
I just installed 205/50/17s on 17" rims on my 2000 ES. The new tire/wheel combo matches the diameter of the original equipment tires. The car, however, seems to sit a little higher in front, and a little lower in the rear. The rear has about 2" clearance edge of fender to edge of tire. The front gap seems ever larger about 4+ inches. I was planing to lower the car with a 1.5" drop from new springs, but now that would only give me hardly 1/2" clearance in the rear, and sure rubbing problems ... while the front gap is huge. Whats going on? How can I drop the front more than the rear, or should I? Recommends welcome ....

pinoyesv6
05-27-2003, 08:18 AM
the front usually has a bigger gap than the back since the front wheels turn and the rear doesn't.

Xavier22
05-27-2003, 08:34 AM
i read somewhere where one of the memberz has a group buy on some eibach pro-kits - -they'll give ya a descent drop, but i fu want lower get some progress tech. springs that'll give ya a 2" drop all around, which might be a lil' problem in the rear for ya if you're riding on 50's, u might rub but i'm not sure!

Auto-9
05-27-2003, 12:13 PM
Keep in mind also for some members the rear didn't drop as much as the advertised drop rate for stock vehicles.

Danger DANJ
05-27-2003, 01:59 PM
Your best bet is to go with some coilovers so you can adjust the height to where you want it. That way you can drop the front alot and drop the rear only a tiny bit.

You should have went with 225/45/17's. That is the best match to the stock tires.

BTW, what is the offset of your rims?

Andoy
05-27-2003, 06:32 PM
It's offset 40 .. just about flush with side of fender. Looks good but now there's only about 2" gap in rear ... too close for comfort. probably gotta go with coilovers ...

Danger DANJ
06-02-2003, 01:31 PM
It's offset 40 .. just about flush with side of fender. Looks good but now there's only about 2" gap in rear ... too close for comfort. probably gotta go with coilovers ...

I'm thinking you might be fine with a drop as long as you don't install a camber kit in the rear. My old 17's had a +42mm offset which stuck out almost as much as your do and a 1.8" drop in the rear was fine. Even with a camber kit, I had no rubbing.

Andoy
06-05-2003, 10:30 AM
I think I'm going with a spring set either Tein or B&G with about 1 1/2" drop and see what happens. Don't think it'll be a problem.
If the top of the tires camber in a bit that will also help with any clearance issue, although I'd really like to use a camber kit in the rear at least to avoid tire wear.Ii've been told that if I just align and correct the toe-in in the front I won't need a front camber kit with a drop of 1 1/2" ....

Andoy
06-05-2003, 10:35 AM
Also I think my rear clearance problem came from going with 205-50-17s instead of 225- 45s. I thought the 50s would ride a little better (think that they do). Although my 50's are supposed to match the stock diameter of 25" and the same Revs per mile on the spec sheet, the car for some reason seems to sit a little bit higher! Weird.