PDA

View Full Version : t25, 14, or small 16g

8ggalant
05-31-2003, 09:19 AM
ok i did a search for this topic but didnt find nething......heres the ?..i know turbogalant is usin a t25...which i think is excellent for our engine...starts boostin around 22-2500 rpms and doesnt loose boost till a lill after 6000 which is where our redline is....percerct....i thought...all i can find is peeple talkin about small 16gs or 14bs...wouldnt those boost a lil late....not to late but if u could have a turbo that could handle the small amount of boost we use...6-12,13,14lbs :twisted: ....then why go with a bigger turbo when u can start boostin at 2500 at the latest instead of 3000...i dunno juss my opinion...lemme know if im wrong or gimme some more info...

Initial -G-host
05-31-2003, 09:27 AM
One sure way to reduce the inertia of the turbine and compressor is to make the turbocharger smaller. A small turbocharger will provide boost more quickly and at lower engine speeds, but may not be able to provide much boost at higher engine speeds when a really large volume of air is going into the engine. It is also in danger of spinning too quickly at higher engine speeds, when lots of exhaust is passing through the turbine. A good way to prevent damage to the turbine is getting a good wastegate to prevent a smaller turbo from spinning too much at higher RPM.

A large turbocharger can provide lots of boost at high engine speeds, but may have bad turbo lag because of how long it takes to accelerate its heavier turbine and compressor.

8ggalant
05-31-2003, 09:30 AM
thats what i was thinkin...on a mild setup runnin 12 lbs at the most...im tryin to get 200 to the wheels at least and i think that is possible on my 2.4 if the 2.0 eclipse can do it with a t25...is this a correct assumption...

fstrthnu
05-31-2003, 12:28 PM
I chose to go with the 16g b/c it is more efficient than a T25. It may take just a tad longer to reach full boost but it is better off at higher RPM's since it won't have to work as hard to provide full boost. Thus it doesn't get as hot, meaning it's not heating the compressed air as much as the 16g would in the same conditions. The T25 may or may not get you your psi at high RPM's but, that air is going to be too hot for the engine to do anything with and your just asking for detonation. Just my $.02.

8ggalant
05-31-2003, 01:12 PM
good point...well i guess ill go ahead and rebuild my 14b...dont have enuf $ to trade in for a 16g :cry: ...thanks 4 the input guys

Initial -G-host
05-31-2003, 02:59 PM
Guys are running real good times with 14b's....just gotta have a good wastegate and not kill the damn thing. If you plan just to run 12lbs of boost....a good used or a nice rebuilt 14b should suffice.

ken inn
05-31-2003, 07:11 PM
i get full boost(17-18 lbs) by 3500 in first gear, easily by 3000 in 2-5. car pulls cleanly to 7k rpm in 1, 2, and 3. redline in 4 and 5 is too scary for me. i have a ported big 16g. the biggest difference is after i installed the bigger pipes and the front mount. it makes full boost a LOT sooner with the bigger piping and the front mount. HUGE difference.

Lazarus
05-31-2003, 11:40 PM
I don't think it's really a question of spooling and getting the boost. I think it's more a question of how much he Turbo can handle. Because Yeah a 14b will spool alot faster than a 16G(Big) but in the same token the 16G will handle alot morehorses however then the lag becomes an issue.

BTW I thought you weren't boosting the Galant? If you want I still have the O2 Sensor if you want it back :twisted: I knew you'd come back they always vcome back. Isn't that Right No Wiper Blades..... :twisted:

8ggalant
06-01-2003, 04:35 AM
:twisted:

u know i love the g ride laz

Initial -G-host
06-01-2003, 08:45 AM
There is one thing you have to remember though. Galant trannies are not that strong and that if you plan to run stock internals...I wouldnt recommend running any higher than 10lbs of boost. The 64's aren't as strong at higher rpms than the 63's. If you are looking for power at high rpms....the 64 might not be able to handle it. Stock compression on 64's are decent for forced induction....but if you are planning 15lbs+ boost....and running it hard, better invest on backup internal parts. Now A/T tranny....wasn't designed at all for a turbo application. Heavy boost...especially from a bigger turbo will be too much load and stress on the tranny, and before you know it....you'll be posting questions on tranny problems too. If you plan to run stock internals on a A/T tranny....8-11lbs of boost will be sufficient.

8ggalant
06-01-2003, 08:53 AM
thanks for the input intial...im not using my stock motor...plan is to build one with 8 5 1 or 8 8 1 comp, p&p head...as for the tranny...thats the intention...soon as it goes out...in goes the manual... :twisted: (hopefully ill have enuf money to beef it up be4 ihave to install it...startin tocollect parts right now)