PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of the Galant

V6Galant'03
06-01-2003, 01:06 PM
Hey all!

I'm looking forward to buy a 8g Galant LS, but I looked in an older thread if the car is reliable or not and it seems most people agreed that it is a good car. If any 8g owner could post the pros and cons about this car it would help me a lot. Also am looking at some Civics, a Peugeot 206 CC, and a new Sentra, that's why the decision is hard because all are good cars and Mitsubishi has just arrived here and nobody of my friends know about the quality of these japanese cars

PUNISHER
06-01-2003, 01:59 PM
pros- fast, reliable, holds up well,comfortable, stylish, everything where you can see it and reach it(gauges, and buttons)

cons- glove box(breaks easily), engine hard to work on (v6 has the intake plenum in the way of everything) and i can't think of anything else.

HeadAche
06-01-2003, 09:10 PM
Pro- There is nothing on the street like it.. Motor is very easy to work on if you know what your doing..

Con-Shitty breaks, they warp very easily..

Auto-9
06-01-2003, 09:59 PM
Pros - TGC
Cons - Inconsistant reliability, inconsistant build quality, piss poor customer service most of the time

mrjaydeeone
06-01-2003, 10:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Parhelia)</div><div class='quotemain'>Pros - TGC</div>

nicely said

cons- so far for me nada...just had horn blow on me 3 times, but it shoulda been fixed on the 1st shot...that's my only complaint

Censee
06-01-2003, 10:49 PM
pros----TGC,rare to see modded........hopefully we have a chance for aftermarket support thanks to having the same engines as the 3g...stylish

cons-cheap ass glove box,and plastic parts inside.......

oldchevron62
06-03-2003, 12:51 PM
Pros: Baddest 4door import around. Stylish, Fun to Drive, Hell the whole car

Cons. Damn Glove Box door and TRANSMISSION and lack of a 5 Speed manuak

NRG
06-03-2003, 12:56 PM
Pros: glovebox door is very tight and NEVER rattles like the people above https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Cons: the rear passenger leg space is badly designed. Hard to get in if driver seat is all the way back.

Khopari
06-08-2003, 07:44 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NRG)</div><div class='quotemain'>Cons: the rear passenger leg space is badly designed. Â*Hard to get in if driver seat is all the way back.</div>

i agree with you cause when i am driving the car no one can sit in the back,, cause i got my sit all the way in the back... the good thing about that is the Trunk is Hugeeeeeeeeeee...

Kermit
06-11-2003, 08:55 AM
CON: Depreciates faster than any other car on the market probably.
I recently went and saw how much I could trade mine in for. I have a 2002 ES, paid probably around 23,000 for it brand spankin new last year. I still owe about 20 G's on it. The dealer said he'd give me 7 :roll:
Buy used if your going with Mitsubishi, I know I definitely regret getting mine. :cry:

Auto-9
06-11-2003, 10:07 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kermit)</div><div class='quotemain'>CON: Depreciates faster than any other car on the market probably. Â*
I recently went and saw how much I could trade mine in for. I have a 2002 ES, paid probably around 23,000 for it brand spankin new last year. I still owe about 20 G's on it. The dealer said he'd give me 7 Â*:roll: Â*
Buy used if your going with Mitsubishi, I know I definitely regret getting mine. Â*:cry:</div>

Holy crap you got screwed. We bought a 2001 ES V6 with premium package for $22,700 drive out on January 7th, 2001 and in May of this year we got $11,917 for it. Of course, we paid off the car in full already so that might have helped.

vic_v_jr
06-14-2003, 06:13 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kermit)</div><div class='quotemain'>CON: Depreciates faster than any other car on the market probably. Â*
I recently went and saw how much I could trade mine in for. I have a 2002 ES, paid probably around 23,000 for it brand spankin new last year. I still owe about 20 G's on it. The dealer said he'd give me 7 Â*:roll: Â*
Buy used if your going with Mitsubishi, I know I definitely regret getting mine. Â*:cry:</div>

Holy crap you got screwed. We bought a 2001 ES V6 with premium package for $22,700 drive out on January 7th, 2001 and in May of this year we got $11,917 for it. Of course, we paid off the car in full already so that might have helped.</div>

Yeah..that seems a little high...I got my 02 LS with premium package for 21,000 - zero interest as well. Oh well.

Pros - damn good looking, 4 banger very easy to work on, large trunk, the honeys love it, oh did I mention that it's damn good looking? :wink:

Cons - poor gas mileage, rear passenger legroom is limited, no passenger assist handles.

luxcrusr2000
06-15-2003, 08:08 PM
Pros: TGC, not a Civic, Often mistaken for a Beamer, drives well, huge trunk, low price

Cons: Brakes, depreciation, rear legroom.

Paid $14K for it 11/9/01 with 23K miles.

GalantT3
06-15-2003, 11:54 PM
Pros: Exterior Styling, Drives Well, Good Reliability,

Cons: Brakes suck ass & no backseat room for tall passengers if your tall yourself.

In Conclusion: A car thats worth every penny and that you will enjoy getting into, day in and day out!!! :thumbsup:

Lazarus
06-15-2003, 11:57 PM
lots a pros listed above I think one of the major cons is if your looking to modify it our resoueses are limited. We see alot of people willing to help make it look good but not alor of people trying to make it faster. that's just my opinion. the eclipse yeah and that's where I think we have a loop hole because they get support because of the name and their ansestors. if not for us sharing the intake we'd still be on BGR's intake mod.

leadfoot
06-16-2003, 07:40 AM
i got mine for 14 grand used with 6k mile in febuary of 2002 it's auto with a l4 nothing else exept for spoiler.

Kieran
06-16-2003, 04:42 PM
Pros and cons from the UK perspective:

Good:
UK galants are built in Japan (home of well built cars IMO).
The 2.0 is smooth, well balanced and flexible.
They're a rare sight on UK roads.
It's an agressively handsome car.
Astoundingly well put together.
Big engine bay with lots of space - no skinned knuckles.
The auto 'box (a £1000 UK option) is very smooth, but also responsive when you need it to be.
Fuel economy (~30MPG) isn't bad.

Bad:
Although smooth and quiet, the 2.0 could use a bit more power/torque (134bhp & 128lb/ft).
The car wears 14inch alloys (15s were a cost option in the UK I think).
Tyres are pricey because of above... 195/65 R14s are about 15% more expensive than 195/65 R15s
Cost of petrol in UK is daft, currently 74.9p/litre ($4.69/USgal). This makes the car expensive to run.
UK dealer network not that big, and they're pricey - A minor service is £140 (~$230) :shock:
Rear legroom is not that generous considering the cars size.

But overall, it's well worth it, and it's easily the best car I've ever owned https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

superGTO
06-17-2003, 04:56 AM
Everyone has posted some good info...

I love Mitsu's to death but they depreciate hella hard...

I'm currently in need of a new car and was looking into either getting a Galant GTZ (Black) or a Diamante VR-X (Black)

And as far as modifications, all you have to do is look at the history of the engine. I think all mitsu enthusiast can learn from each other because the 6G72 engine was also used in the 3rd Gen Eclipse, most Generation 3000GT SL's as well as the Diamante. Hell, even a variant in the Montero.

We can all learn from each other.

PS. Check out my buddies shop from San Diego.

3kgtmotorsports.com He's been making some serious gains with his N/A 6G72 powered 3000GT. So most things should carry over in your guys engine.

Lazarus
06-17-2003, 08:50 AM
I think the only reason they depreciate is because they are going out of buisness. they sold out to chrysler the deal is suppose to finalize in thenext couple years which is why I believe they are trying to push all thse cars onto the market now.

Auto-9
06-17-2003, 10:09 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lazarus)</div><div class='quotemain'>I think the only reason they depreciate is because they are going out of buisness. they sold out to chrysler the deal is suppose to finalize in thenext couple years which is why I believe they are trying to push all thse cars onto the market now.</div>

I think that its because they failed to build up the image of quality that other companies are associated with. All car companies make mistakes but Mitsubishi is just a bit more glaring.

luxcrusr2000
06-17-2003, 10:15 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lazarus)</div><div class='quotemain'>I think the only reason they depreciate is because they are going out of buisness. they sold out to chrysler the deal is suppose to finalize in thenext couple years which is why I believe they are trying to push all thse cars onto the market now.</div>

WHAT?! :shock: When did that happen?

Lazarus
06-17-2003, 10:25 AM
That's old news man

Freeze
06-17-2003, 09:25 PM
First Post, this is a good place to start.

Have had my Galant for 2 years, love the car, sporty, fast enough, good mpg 24mpg mixed, reliable, a/c cold as alaska. I have a 2001 ES-V6, save your money (nothing against the GTZ but look for/get an ES with the v-6, almost the exact same car but cheaper).

Out the door at $21,000 including Moonroof, ABS, 16 GTZ Wheels, Aftermarket wood interior trim....

Cons, the auto tranny sometimes gets stupid and dealer maintenance is a bit pricey, 15,000k $159.00, 30,000 $359.00, those are expensive oil changes.

Dealer warranty repairs have been outstanding, no trouble, excellent service !!!

BXNYMitsu01
06-21-2003, 09:25 PM
I have ES I4 2001.

Pro: It's a good car.
Con: It's too DAMN SLOW! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

mtz_roy2003-g
06-29-2003, 12:21 PM
i just got a 2003 LS and it drives great. it catches a lot of eyes, i think it is the best 4-door around with a sporty and stylish look. the con is that it doesn't have the handle for the passenger side. but other than that it is a geat car to modify and to have.

Gladiator
06-29-2003, 04:19 PM
top 3 peeves

1. The gas door cannot be locked
2. Flimsy glove compartment, although it did not fail on me.
3. The top of the car attracts many dirty stuff if you know what I mean. By the rubber pieces.

The rest I LOVE :wink:

CT_GalantV6
06-30-2003, 09:19 PM
Well I can talk from experience on this one.

I have a true 1999 ES V6. I drove it off the lot in Aug. '98 with like 15 miles on it. I now have about 133,000 miles on it.

Pros- This car has been nothing but a dream to drive. Great V6. Plenty of room (IMO, F*** the back seat). Reliable to the T, balls to the wall solid car. STILL!!!!!!

Cons- Rotors warp easy and yes, the glove box sucks also. It broke and I fixed. Thats it.

I did have the fuel gauge fixed and the driver mirror cracked within the first month of owning the car. Then the battery died in less than a year, all of which was covered as warranty.

After having a few GM's that fell apart after 80k, this G has been the best $20k I ever spent.

BigJack
07-05-2003, 06:10 PM
Cons: GAS MILEAGE SUCKS! SUSPENSION IS SOFT! RIDE SUCKS! LOTS OF WIND NOISE! YOUR BETTER OFF BUYING A CIVIC!

m1k3 r0ck3t
07-07-2003, 03:35 PM
Pros - car looks great, handles great, great off the start, and its basically an Eclipse with 4 doors!

Cons - glove box sucks arse, AT, service centers suck the arse too!

2000GTZ
07-07-2003, 11:14 PM
PROS:
The GTZ model is a rare car (at least around here) and it'll definitely turn heads- RSX, civic, ricecar owners alike.
Can fit more ladies with the 3 seats in the back.
Trunk space is mighty big!
It's a Mitsubishi!

CONS:
Wind noise can get high
Suspension can be too stiff sometimes on larger speed bumps.
Engine noise is somewhat low, even at high RPMs. (if you don't like to hear the engine, then this can be a PRO for you)
Brakes are definitely an issue.
The mighty "Infiniti" stereo is a little weak even with bass turned up.

john mars
07-09-2003, 09:34 AM
pros:
1. great room for a midlevel car
2. decent mileage for a big 4 cyl
3. body lines r great,especially when dropped, it takes an agressive stance

cons:
1. lack of power for a 4, should have had 160-170hp for this size
2. rear drums should never b in, disc should b all around like the V6
3. front rotors warp easily
4, rear speakers should not b complicated to replace, but it is time consuming.
5 very soft suspension, replace asap to aftermarket as well as springs, from there the car comes alive,also front upper strut bar,oh 17 rims and tires in that package too..

Relayer
08-23-2003, 12:47 AM
I'll add mine and maybe a few items not previoulsy mentioned.

8G ES V6

Pros: Pretty decent acceleration, good cruising power, good looking body style, good FRONT cabin ergonomics, lots of std features, great value for your $, .

Cons: Really wide turning radius, A/C could be stronger/quieter, too soft in turns, requires at least mid-grade gas, everything about the BRAKES (have only replaced with standard pads/rotors, several times, but ever since first replacement, squeal, squeal, and more squeal. techs says "thats the way it is with these metal pads..." + weak, fade, shimmy...etc, etc)

Still, overall, I've been very pleased, all things considered.

Cheers,
KB