PDA

View Full Version : V6 headers... AMSS or RPW

Tiller
07-31-2002, 10:40 AM
there's a new group buy at thte 3G site for the AMSS, $585 with 10 people, includes a high flow cat...

Now, for you guys that have already installed headers, on your V6... did you install an AFC... if so did you use the HKS or the Apexi...? i'm looking for some feedback on both, or if they are even necessary...

I'm having a hard time deciding which company to go with... but i'm leaning towards AMSS right now... they alredy come with a ceramic coating on that will halp them against the elements, as the RPW does not come with lasting coating... I have yet to see any dyno numbers on the RPW's either...

Basically i'm looking for a bolt on and fugetaboutit deal... I don't want to be fucking with SES lights and shit...http://www.eclipseforums.org/images/smilies/wallbash.gif

pinoyesv6
07-31-2002, 10:47 AM
go with the one by AMSS. just because no1 else has it hehe. it might have better results than the rpw or maybe worse...no1 will know til u try...and if it does have better result then it'll make u look good

Tiller
07-31-2002, 10:53 AM
http://www.eclipseforums.org/images/smilies/pat.gif

why didn't i think of that...? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_biggrin.gif

what i'm really worried about is the whole AFC deal...

pinoyesv6
07-31-2002, 10:55 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiller)</div><div class='quotemain'>http://www.eclipseforums.org/images/smilies/pat.gif

why didn't i think of that...? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_biggrin.gif

what i'm really worried about is the whole AFC deal...</div>

well...u don't really need an afc. the afc just makes it possible to get the optimum peformance with the headers. you will still get the sound and some peformance gains without the afc. the afc just makes it better. anyways, the afc won't do u any good without some tuning

Tiller
07-31-2002, 11:03 AM
yeah, i know i'll need to have the car dyno tuned with the AFC...

it sounds liek when you install headers on the V6 it tends to run rich like a pig... which can lead to cat failure, and a stink bomb of a car... and the AFC would take care of this...

ahhhhhhhhhh... why do i feel the need to modify my cars...?http://www.eclipseforums.org/images/smilies/nono.gif

RedGalant2k1
07-31-2002, 11:54 AM
what about the Hytech Headers?

Tiller
07-31-2002, 12:50 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2001)</div><div class='quotemain'>what about the Hytech Headers?</div>

kinda like looking for the "lochness monster", or "bigfoot"...

remains to be seen...

pinoyesv6
07-31-2002, 01:06 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2001)</div><div class='quotemain'>what about the Hytech Headers?</div>

hytech headers are nice...but the price is another issue

CNascimento
07-31-2002, 03:40 PM
SO WHO'S ARE STREET LEAGAL IN 50 STATES?

I KNOW THAT rpw ARE BECAUSE THEY SENT ME AN EMAIL LETTING ME KNOW. BUT WHAT ABOUT THE OTHERS....

ALSO WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO FIX THE PROBLEMS THAT TILLER IS SPEAKING OF WITH THE AFC?

Fishboy55
07-31-2002, 03:43 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiller)</div><div class='quotemain'>yeah, i know i'll need to have the car dyno tuned with the AFC...

it sounds liek when you install headers on the V6 it tends to run rich like a pig... which can lead to cat failure, and a stink bomb of a car... and the AFC would take care of this... Â*</div>

Not sure where you got that impression, but Mark and I have the RPW's, as you know, and our cars aren't running rich at all. My mileage has actually increased since the headers, and no cat failures. Also a successful emissions test. As far as the AMSS headers, compare the shape of the headers to RPW's. The only reason I mention that is because RPW's are optimally tuned for best performance. Good luck with your decision. I've decided to go with an adjustable FPR instead of an AFC with the headers to optimize my fuel at the top end.

Chip

VegasMatt
07-31-2002, 03:44 PM
I have the RPW headers coming in and I ordered the Apexi AFC which should have been here today. When I get both put on and get to see some dyno numbers, I'll let you know.

Matt

r-ezz.e
07-31-2002, 11:05 PM
help me out, fellas wuts an AFC and wut does it do?

pinoyesv6
07-31-2002, 11:24 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(r&#045;ezz.e)</div><div class='quotemain'>help me out, fellas wuts an AFC and wut does it do?</div>

an afc is an air fuel controller and yea thats what it does, control the air fuel ratio...

Tiller
07-31-2002, 11:42 PM
the AMSS dyno showed a 32hp gain... i have yet to see a RPW dyno...

SlickVernon
08-01-2002, 10:34 PM
i was just on their website, and it says they dyno'd their headers at a 41 hp gain, and 36 pounds of torque. are they really that much better, or what is the deal. also i saw on their site that they arent street legal, so i am wondering, are any headers street legal?
thanks

SlickVernon
08-01-2002, 10:35 PM
i'm talking about the MPH unlimited headers for the V6 if you couldnt see the really tiny heading that i thought would be bigger 8)

Tiller
08-01-2002, 11:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SlickVernon)</div><div class='quotemain'>i'm talking about the MPH unlimited headers for the V6 if you couldnt see the really tiny heading that i thought would be bigger 8)</div>

yeah, those are kinda like th whole BIGFOOT thing too... good luck getting ahold of them...

I've seen guys on the 3G site bithcing about them for months...

SlickVernon
08-02-2002, 12:01 AM
bitching about them because they suck??? or just because they cant get them? :?

Tiller
08-02-2002, 10:31 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SlickVernon)</div><div class='quotemain'>bitching about them because they suck??? or just because they cant get them? Â* :?</div>

cause they can't get them... paid money and no delivery...

SinSere
08-02-2002, 02:21 PM
I don't believe any headers are really street legal. To be truely legal they have to pass all the emissions testing. And I really doubt that these go through emissions testing, so technically not legal, whether they pass or not, only testing at the local shop will tell.

Fishboy55
08-02-2002, 03:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SinSere)</div><div class='quotemain'>I don't believe any headers are really street legal. To be truely legal they have to pass all the emissions testing. And I really doubt that these go through emissions testing, so technically not legal, whether they pass or not, only testing at the local shop will tell.</div>Sin's correct. Headers are not street legal, and any reputable manufacturer will tell you they're for off road use only. That's not to say you can't use them. I removed my precats and kept my stock cat with the RPW headers and passed my emissions test. So technically I can legally drive with them.

Chip

Tiller
08-03-2002, 12:24 AM
yeah. most headers are not "STREET LEGAL"... but most of that advertising is for the Cali crew who have the strictest emmisions testing in the US...

I'm now kinda undecided between the RPW and the AMSS... The RPW are a tuned length header, where the AMSS is not.. .but the AMSS has a ceramic coating and the RPW does not...

RPW has been in the Mitsu business for a long time... I know nothing about AMSS...

Fishboy55
08-03-2002, 07:46 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiller)</div><div class='quotemain'>yeah. most headers are not "STREET LEGAL"... but most of that advertising is for the Cali crew who have the strictest emmisions testing in the US...

I'm now kinda undecided between the RPW and the AMSS... The RPW are a tuned length header, where the AMSS is not.. .but the AMSS has a ceramic coating and the RPW does not...

RPW has been in the Mitsu business for a long time... I know nothing about AMSS...</div>That's my point Tiller. Dave Thomas spent months tuning those RPW headers to just the right length, based on the design of their race car. Couple that with the years of experience they've had with Mitsubishis and the incomperable customer service and I think you'll have your decision pretty much made.

Chip

Tiller
08-03-2002, 07:09 PM
man, i'd really like to hear your car before i went ahead and ordered any headers... I'm just afraid i'm going to get them, and it's not going to be what i want...

Anyway we could possibly meet up sometime in the next week...?

Fishboy55
08-03-2002, 07:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiller)</div><div class='quotemain'>man, i'd really like to hear your car before i went ahead and ordered any headers... I'm just afraid i'm going to get them, and it's not going to be what i want...

Anyway we could possibly meet up sometime in the next week...?</div>
Sure, man. Where in PA are you? I work in Baltimore County, close to I-83. We're having a meet down in Southern MD on 8/9. Don't know if you're planning on coming down. If not, maybe we could meet halfway one evening next week. PM me and we can discuss it there so as to not clutter the post.

Chip

pinoyesv6
08-04-2002, 05:17 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiller)</div><div class='quotemain'>man, i'd really like to hear your car before i went ahead and ordered any headers... I'm just afraid i'm going to get them, and it's not going to be what i want...

Anyway we could possibly meet up sometime in the next week...?</div>

chip's car is extremly quiet. chip picked me up right after he got em put on...but like yea chip was late and while i was waiting i'd hear motorcycles pass by and it'd be thinking it could possibly be chip. but hell when chip pulled up, you couldn't tell he got headers...it was only because of the look of his muffler and i can hear his intake that i recognized him

Tiller
08-04-2002, 10:23 PM
yeah, me and Chip definitely gotta hook up sometime soon... i really would like to hear that car...

Mitsiman
08-05-2002, 01:03 AM
The 3G forum now has some photos of our early design fitted to a car.

The new design comes with a lot of improvements and will definitly make fitting easier.

The fitment of an AFC is not necessarily necessary - it is to my knowledge only if you want more power again.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au

BGR
08-05-2002, 01:37 AM
<span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>Regarding the MPH headers</span>

Those that are interested in MPH headers, take a look at these pictures and read about what we were talking about earlier in the year:
https://www.thegalantcenter.com/cgi-bin/ult...c&f=20&t=000069 ('https://www.thegalantcenter.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=20&t=000069')

I just hope that these other headers you guys are talking about does not hang as low as MPH.

BGR
08-05-2002, 01:41 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mitsiman)</div><div class='quotemain'>The fitment of an AFC is not necessarily necessary - it is to my knowledge only if you want more power again.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au</div>

Can you explain what does "if you want more power again" mean? I don't quite understand what you mean by this comment.

Thanks.

:BGR:

pinoyesv6
08-05-2002, 01:59 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BGR)</div><div class='quotemain'><span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>Regarding the MPH headers</span>

Those that are interested in MPH headers, take a look at these pictures and read about what we were talking about earlier in the year:
https://www.thegalantcenter.com/cgi-bin/ult...c&f=20&t=000069 ('https://www.thegalantcenter.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=20&t=000069')

I just hope that these other headers you guys are talking about does not hang as low as MPH.</div>

i heard that mph redesigned their headers so taht they don't hand as low...not 100% sure though

Tiller
08-05-2002, 10:43 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BGR)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mitsiman)</div><div class='quotemain'>The fitment of an AFC is not necessarily necessary - it is to my knowledge only if you want more power again.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au</div>

Can you explain what does "if you want more power again" mean? I don't quite understand what you mean by this comment.

Thanks.

:BGR:</div>

i think he meant power "gain"... once you install the headers, you gotta get it on a dyno and have the fuel tuned correctly to get the most from your headers... I'm sure you already knew that, but were just confused because he mis-typed it...

Mitsiman
08-05-2002, 07:49 PM
I meant bolting on the header / extractor systems will give a gain in horsepower etc.

You can leave it at that or if you add a SAFC controller to the vehicle you can get furtehr gains in horsepower be recalibrating the fuel and ignition curves for optimun power.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au

Tiller
08-10-2002, 08:25 PM
if i go with the RPW, do any of the dealers offer a coating for them...?

I'd like to get them, but i am not crazy about rolling in the winter with an uncoated header...

Fishboy55
08-10-2002, 09:03 PM
ApParts, an RPW dealer will jet-hot coat the headers.

Chip